U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,987,441 times

Advertisements

I was volunteering at a shelter, and you want them all, but one cat in particular appealed to me. His card said he was given up for economic reasons,, which made my heart ache, to not be able to keep your pet. He's old, said about 12 years old, but in good health. he's actually enegertic, and a sweetie. We've become good friends!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM

4,844 posts, read 3,962,399 times
This Christmas I told my grandkid's it was time to give, they seemed to sense the fairness of it after my daughter and I explained the situation many people are in. We'll have a nice dinner and know that we at least shared what we could. They all got to buy and wrap the gifts for others, I'm proud of them to say the least.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,387,667 times
Our stores have been packed. I hate it. Wal mart actually DID have all registers open this holiday season.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 AM

12,869 posts, read 14,000,732 times
i think walmart will do pretty well comparatively, since they have done the best advertising of low prices and have been pushing low prices almost as their motto. in a recession, people are looking for that.

i enjoy reading the posts where people are doing kind things for others (and for animals) because this way of thinking will certainly help our country during this recession/depression. i noticed at our local petsmart that the donation box was full. (they take pet beds, blankets, towels, food, litter, etc.) i always feel good giving items which i know will go to their intended purpose.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,521,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I was volunteering at a shelter, and you want them all, but one cat in particular appealed to me. His card said he was given up for economic reasons,, which made my heart ache, to not be able to keep your pet. He's old, said about 12 years old, but in good health. he's actually enegertic, and a sweetie. We've become good friends!

You are a saint. You have made one soul happy and that is the best gift. We have 3 dogs and 3 cats, and of course my daughter always wants a kitten or a puppy. I tell her this is not going to happen we can only take care of what we have.
We are only buying for the kids. I bought my neighbor a gift, but they are always so kind to us. Most of the presents I bought I got from ebay or walmart. I bought a box of clothes for my 10 year old daughter for $20.00 (that's including the shipping cost). I have about 5 outfits I'm going to wrap up. I bought some Beatles memorbilia for my 16 yo son for pretty cheap as well from ebay.

I think the slower economy is good and it will help all appreciate the things we do have.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,987,441 times
I'm sitting here now with my new friend, my shelter kitty. He's so sweet, and a great friend! He follows me everywhere, and sleeps curled up at my feet. that's more than I can say for my DH!

We named him Marshmallow (the cat, not DH!). I really think the shelter was wrong, he's not 12 years old, he acts like a young adult, probably 2-3 years at most. Nobody wanted him in the shelter because he was an adult, and being older he would have problems people didn't want to deal with. But outside of worms and fleas, which are easy to manage and you expect with any cat, he's been fine.

When I saw people walking out with newly adopted kittens I knew Marshmallow didn't have a chance, being an older guy, so, I decided that was one wrong I could right, I took him! Mine, Mine, Mine!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,763,965 times
Stores were PACKED around here. Made me wonder why I didn't just order everything online. I fell for the whole "lean xmas" meme and thought it might be slow and was absolutely wrong.

Typically I'm not much of a present buyer (and didn't buy anything last year) but it has been a great year financially so I splurged some. I think I spent $800-$900.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,882,859 times
marylee, Santa has been good to you both this year. Thank you for the happy story.

As for me, my family is getting food. I've been baking cookies, pies, bread, I have lots of seafood and mooseburger in the freezer to share. Everyone is getting a big box of edible presents from Grammas Cabin. I spent no money, just went through my well-stocked pantry.
It feels wonderful to know I won't be facing bills I can't pay come January!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:19 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,272,348 times
This year saw a much leaner Christmas around our household as well. Most of our gifts were necessities....DH got clothes and all were 1/2 off (he needed good clothes for meetings and had only work clothes!); Number 1 son got gift cards for restaurants and a small Itunes card and a gift card for some shoes at a sporting good store. He also got a new set of warm ups...Number 2 son got gift cards for restaurants and a small Itunes card and a gift card at same sporting good store. He plays baseball and we shop there in Jan or Feb. He also got a new set of warm ups....

My parents got an upgrade on cell phones as they needed them desperatly, my moms phone had quit working and I worry when I can't get her, she has had a heart attack and so has my step father.

My inlaws got home baked goodies, a Lowe's gift card for my father in law, and a nice outfit I got for 1/2 off for my mother in law...

DH had 20 people to give to for business related reasons and he made homemade peanut brittle and gave them a jar of homemade jelly to go with it.

We got sensible gifts as well. Gift cards all to teh same store and a coffee maker and sheets....

IT was one of the best Christmasses we have had in a very long time.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 PM

22,375 posts, read 20,250,027 times
I noticed this weekend that Wal mart and other stores were pretty empty. I think the blizzard/storm chased many people away and they came in and shopped early on Friday.
But today the stores were mobbed with last minute shoppers. Target was jammed as was a local supermarket. I think people held off until the last minute hoping for bargains. They may also buy this weekend after Christmas and still wait for better deals. I think that will be the case.
I did enjoy a good lunch in a favorite chain place that was pretty quiet and uncrowded. Tonight Church is pretty well attended by the number of cars, so that is a good sign. Our service at midnight will hopefully be full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics