Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,490,842 times

Advertisements

FRONTLINE: close to home: watch the full program online | PBS

Looking for comments on this frontline special.
Now I watched this episode and I think I know that what the director/producer of this was going for. I think she was trying to show the plight of the middle class (Well what she thinks of as the middle class.) But as I watched it. I can honestly say that for the majority of the people in this front line special I didn't feel the least bit sorry for the lot of them. Except for The guy that end up losing his wife and then his home. Yeah. I could feel for him. But for pretty much everyone else I actually was get somewhat annoyed at. It just seemed to me that there was a sense of entitlement to them.

Hey I could be wrong and took the video the wrong way......but......I don't know some of those people just came off bad to me.

Anyways. Again I'm looking for comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,626,201 times
I watched the whole thing. Wow.. eye opening! It tells me that people will have to get used to a "New Normal", and people will have to dramatically downsize and learn to "make it" on a lot less. My wife and I have lived so far below our means its crazy and are just fine. However, the MAJORITY of people we see around us just spend spend spend. Its all about what kind of car you drive, how big your house is, etc. People have to learn that nothing is forever, if you have a great job that pays a lot of money.. congrats, save your money and prepare for a time when that job will not be around anymore. Nothing is guaranteed to you.

If you want to suffer, then buy that huge house, that boat, that real nice car, and charge up your credit cards. Then pay the ultimate price when you lose your job and can't find another one that pays the same.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,434,644 times
Sense of entitlement? The first lady was a retired flight attendant and her husband was a salesman. The second was a couple who had a personal training business and were struggling. Yet another was an owner of a coffee shop that went down the tubes. Hard working Americans, many small business owners who had the guts to go out on their own, who are having a tough time now.

Some of you people should really get off your high horses and start having a little more compassion for your fellow countrymen. I am so sick of reading these juvenile posts judging these people.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,740,165 times
surrender your credit card debt to god and let him take over

What is wrong with these people?

Lady: Losing the car was worse than getting divorced

Well, as you see some of these people have more of an attachment to their objects than to people! Materialistic!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,874,624 times
i wasn't going to watch the entire program, but am always interested in human interest stories. i agree with the OP that some of the people seemed to have rather unrealistic expectations. i can't help wonder how barbara got 11,000 dollars behind on her mortgage when she evidently lived alone and then took in 4 tenants. overall, i did think the story was touching and that you realize sometimes that what you see on the surface isn't what is going on underneath at all. i hope the woman who gave the guy 10 minutes to clear his desk out gets to feel that experience herself. (karma is a b****)

i have empathy for the small business starters who got the rug pulled out from under them with the economy. these are people trying to live the american dream and finding that it isn't so livable anymore.

maybe the story will help the hair salon owner stay in business because it wasn't difficult to see that they did good work!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,626,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
surrender your credit card debt to god and let him take over

What is wrong with these people?

Lady: Losing the car was worse than getting divorced

Well, as you see some of these people have more of an attachment to their objects than to people! Materialistic!

I'm with you on the lady losing her car being worse than her divorce. However, I'm not sure where you are going with the guy who said he surrenders his credit card to god. I knew exactly what he was talking about. He was basically saying god will show him the way.

I would like to make it very clear that I have zero debt at all. I would also like to point out that god helped my wife and I get here. I'm not sure why you need to attack someone who believes in god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics