U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

15,545 posts, read 14,304,699 times

Advertisements

What do you think, people? Are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? Or is that light still an oncoming freight train?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM

43,855 posts, read 48,107,763 times
I think most people who really want to work will find jobs...even if it isn't their dream jobs. I think a whole lot of other people will continue to take unemployment until it is no longer available. Unemployment should be for emergencies, not become a lifestyle.

I live in a city with a very high unemployment rate, higher than the national average, I also work somewhere where there are always job openings. So....I don't buy all the whining. If you can read and write English and are in the USA legally....you can find a job. Again, it may not be a great job, but you can find one.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,574,010 times
The 9.7 unemployment rate surprised me. I think it's good news. We'll see what happens next month. It's to early to celebrate, but things are looking up.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,916,175 times
What sectors are hiring these days? Are people no longer collecting unemployment (off the unemployment rolls) and no longer even looking for work because there's nothing out there?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
The 9.7 unemployment rate surprised me. I think it's good news. We'll see what happens next month. It's to early to celebrate, but things are looking up.
What, specifically, is looking up? I'm not challenging you on your view, but am curious about what you're seeing that gives you the optimism that you portray.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 15,072,760 times
How long will it take to get to 8% ?

That is the rate Obama warned us unemployment would reach if his stimulus bill was not passed.

It did get passed, and now we are supposed to rejoice at 9.75% unemployment ?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,574,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
What, specifically, is looking up? I'm not challenging you on your view, but am curious about what you're seeing that gives you the optimism that you portray.
I am usually an optimist, and not a Naysayer.
I live in an area with high unemployment, but the unemployment rate has started to go down.

I read one news items that says on a national level that hiring has increased for retail and government.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,082,623 times
When you remove over 1 million people from the unemployment figures because they are no longer looking for work and no longer receiving benefits, DUH of course the percentage will drop.
[But keep this a secret - the actual percentage is 18%]

Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,360,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When you remove over 1 million people from the unemployment figures because they are no longer looking for work and no longer receiving benefits, DUH of course the percentage will drop.
[But keep this a secret - the actual percentage is 18%]
This is very true I know friends that are preparing to become single income familys, older cars, no vacations, no going out to eat, etc. once the unemployment runs out.

bill

Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,360,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think most people who really want to work will find jobs...even if it isn't their dream jobs. I think a whole lot of other people will continue to take unemployment until it is no longer available. Unemployment should be for emergencies, not become a lifestyle.

I live in a city with a very high unemployment rate, higher than the national average, I also work somewhere where there are always job openings. So....I don't buy all the whining. If you can read and write English and are in the USA legally....you can find a job. Again, it may not be a great job, but you can find one.
What do you mean by really want to work? I get up at 0'dark thirty every morning to go to work but I really don't want to, I go because of the pay if my employer were to drop my pay to a level below what i need to live I won't bother going.
Why would someone on unemployment take a part time job for $7.00/hour when at the end of the month you do not have enough to pay your rent let alone food, heat, etc.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>