U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,496,151 times

Advertisements

This is not just another rant against credit cards. I have carefully read the terms and conditions of my credit card (US Airways MC) and feel they are at the very least deceptive and actually mislead consumers.

Does anyone else have experience with them?

My main complains:

1. You earn miles for spending with their credit card. If you cancel their card (mine costs $89 per year) they take those miles away. This is not clear in their terms and conditions. Can anyone see where it says this? (see my note below).

2. They advertise two $99 companion tickets as a benefit of their card. Turns out these are not two separate tickets you can use whenever you want. They allow two people to fly with the primary card holder during one trip. In other words, I can not take my wife with me to two different places. You must use both tickets at the same time. This is defined in the "fine print" but its not clear when you look at their marketing material.

3. US Airways does not have to honor the cardholder benefits because the card is actually issued through a bank (not US Airways). One of the "benefits" is priority Zone 2 boarding. On a recent business trip, I tried to board in Zone 2 using my card and the lady working the gate thought I was trying to cut in line. She had no idea about Zone 2 cardholder benefits. Not sure who's fault this is (the bank or US Airways) but consumers should know about this.

Anyway, if someone had a free moment, please take a look at their terms and conditions and see if you can confirm point #1 above. They do say:

"3. The benefits described herein are contingent upon the account remaining open and in good standing, the payment of the Annual Fee and the use of the Account for at least one transaction each year that is not later rescinded or returned. Failure to pay the Annual Fee or to maintain the account in good standing may result in forfeiture of these benefits."

To me that means that you can only earn miles when the account is open, it does not say your miles already earned will be removed from your account should you cancel your card:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...C24755&cpc=USA

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM

22,769 posts, read 29,128,619 times
General rule of thumb:

if it was such an awesome deal for you, at their expense, then they wouldn't be offering it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics