Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure this should be in Personal Finance or the general finance category, but I think it's worth pointing out.

Periodically you will receive a statement from the Social Security Administration setting forth your Social Security earnings record and anticipated disability, survivors, and retirement benefits based on current contributions. It is very important that you read it in order to catch errors that could hurt you in the long run.

It actually happened to me. Several years ago I got my statement and I saw that there was a period of time--I don't recall whether it was a single quarter, or longer--with no earnings at all reported. This seemed strange, since I've been employed full time or more since 1979. Upon investigation it turned out that the company that my employer had been using for payroll hadn't reported Social Security earnings for me or any other employee. My action in following up on this enabled us to correct the problem for everyone.

This is not the kind of problem you want to find out about for the first time when you are about to retire, or when a family member is signing up for survivors benefits.

Check those reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,272 times
That is very good advice as I was just talking about these statements with a coworker today.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I get one every year..must have went automatic some time ago. I do remember the first few years I had to request it. I always look it over and compare to the previous year.

You don't want to find out they've made a mistake when you go to apply for SS.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Good thread here! This sort of thing happened to me in 1979 and 1980.

I requested determination of benefits in the mid-90's. Imagine my surprise when I get the statement and notice zero hours for 1979. I got back with the local office with W-2 and check stubs in hand (I grossed 23,300 that year).

Leave no stone unturned! Stay on top of your figures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics