Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times

Advertisements

Some people, even with access expensive airplanes , success in starting consulting companies and other skills fail to see the their cup as other than "half empty" because they need to pay taxes...

HappyTexan and others need some perspective -- I personally work with a large number of folks from India that know they will never have the kind of life they have in the US if they were to go back to the land of their birth.

As to the other question that is woven in this thread, the success available to those that earn a respectable bachelor's degree in Computer Science from a top tier US firm is far different than general "IT" employment. The range of career paths is not unlike the difference in saying "what kinds of jobs are related to physical sciences" vs "how many physicists and chemists are employed".
People that check water quaility for a sewage district have a job related to chemistry but I doubt they'd be classified as a chemist. Similarly folks that do earn a CS degree from top school might work for a firm like Intel or some cutting edge firm that makes advanced image compression software while the broad "IT" category includes lots of jobs that require only routine operational / maintenance skills of outdated/ mature systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Is IT the same as a computer science degree? I didn't think they were?... aren't there different emphasis.
Not really. They both broadly cover the world of computers/computing. The only real diff is CS is a college major, IT is a term basically encompassing anything computer related. And of course CS has more theory where IT jobs are "reality."

Quote:
I think a security clearance is very good to have.
Absolutely. My only point was it won't help you get most IT jobs as a security clearance isn't required. It might help those with less experience or other qualifications a little in that it shows you are more "trustable," but probably not much. [/quote]

Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same ending though..I have a BS in Engineering.
Jobs are flying out of the country at warp speed. The rate at which they are leaving only escalated with the current economy. Companies want to make profits and with no revenue, cost cutting is the only way to get that net profit.
Exactly. It's just not the lucrative field it used to be. Ironically, advances in technology are what enabled this change (ability to effectively work remotely etc).

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Some people, even with access expensive airplanes , success in starting consulting companies and other skills fail to see the their cup as other than "half empty" because they need to pay taxes...

HappyTexan and others need some perspective -- I personally work with a large number of folks from India that know they will never have the kind of life they have in the US if they were to go back to the land of their birth.

As to the other question that is woven in this thread, the success available to those that earn a respectable bachelor's degree in Computer Science from a top tier US firm is far different than general "IT" employment. The range of career paths is not unlike the difference in saying "what kinds of jobs are related to physical sciences" vs "how many physicists and chemists are employed".
People that check water quaility for a sewage district have a job related to chemistry but I doubt they'd be classified as a chemist. Similarly folks that do earn a CS degree from top school might work for a firm like Intel or some cutting edge firm that makes advanced image compression software while the broad "IT" category includes lots of jobs that require only routine operational / maintenance skills of outdated/ mature systems.
20+ years as a software engineer isn't enough perspective ?
I watched offshoring blossom. Started off with call centers, then fixpacks to software products, then small pieces of future products, then entire products, then design and now R&D.

All the while we were told that the mundane work would be offshored so it would free up the US programmers to do more creative work. Well now Design, R&D and PM work is over there. They are now doing the creative work and managing full projects.

Being a programmer in India is not so bad. At their salaries they can live an upper middle class life with drivers and cooks and maids.
They don't necessarily come to the US to work...that work is shifted over to India. There's no need for them to come here anymore.

Do you know how much has been invested by the big software companies in Bangalore ?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:21 PM

163 posts, read 428,006 times
You should extend that to all technology professions including engineering. My rotation with my last employer was up, and the assignment I was going to take ended up getting offshored for cost cutting purposes. This was a very R&Dish type of role too. I ended up getting laid off because there was no work for me.

I believe entry level accounting, legal, and HR functions are now being outsourced as well.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 PM

163 posts, read 428,006 times
You should extend that to all technology professions including engineering. My rotation with my last employer was up, and the assignment I was going to take ended up getting offshored for cost cutting purposes. This was a very R&Dish type of role too. I ended up getting laid off because there was no work for me.

I believe entry level accounting, legal, and HR functions are now being outsourced as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Career-wise it is. What non-IT jobs would one go into with a CS (4 yr) degree?
there is no etched-in-stone definition of either term, and there is definitely some overlap.

my experience is that in the real world, IT is the application of existing technology to solve organizational problems. it is a process that fills a specific organization's needs, first and foremost, and typically involves a variety of paper systems, business analysis, managing networks, managing users, managing software installations, purchasing, budgeting, et cetera.

a computer science curriculum focuses more on the creation of new technology or new software; the application of this technology is secondary, if it is a criteria at all. computer science is often research-oriented, theoretical, scientific, academic, and not directly applicable to the business world.

Last edited by le roi; 02-22-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Default This is the problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same ending though..I have a BS in Engineering.
Jobs are flying out of the country at warp speed. The rate at which they are leaving only escalated with the current economy. Companies want to make profits and with no revenue, cost cutting is the only way to get that net profit.
Quit outsourcing!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do we bring jobs back here? Let's get some tax credits going.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
If I were starting a career today I would sign up for a Union apprenticeship as a HVAC technician, Plumber or Industrial Electrician. In addition to the trade education, I would take enough business management to understand how to run a business. After I had obtained my Licenses I would buy out an existing business from a retiring tradesman and have my apprentices and tradesmen make my money for me.

You cannot outsource these jobs. I have a friend that is in the HVAC trade and he has more work than he has time to do. Everybody seems to want to have a functioning furnace to keep the place warm in winter and an AC unit to keep the place cool in summer.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 AM

79 posts, read 303,013 times
I just graduated in December with B.S. degrees Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I've been looking for jobs the last two month. I'm at the point of quitting and returning for a M.S. in Computer Science, although I'm still waiting for replies from defense contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics