Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You cannot offshore most IT work, because you can never offshore hardware installation, maintenance and troubleshooting. The only people who can be offshored are those who have a job that completely consists of writing code or software fixes that can be done remotely.

By the way, there are companies that exist that specialize in writing custom code for businesses, it is not neccessary to have an IT guy on staff who is fluent in it.
Data centers are the future..the machines will be overseas along with the employees.

Sure you'll still have some over here...but data centers is the future and is being pushed hard. And with technology today, a data center can be run from anywhere in the world thanks to the fiber.

Also contract work is now becoming the norm. This way a company does not have to pay benefits or any taxes. That's the latest trend.
Hire them when you need them..let them go when you don't. It's a win/win for corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Data centers are the future..the machines will be overseas along with the employees.
Well, if you offshore the whole IT operation, its not going to matter what the qualifications of the IT guy, hes going to be outsourced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Also contract work is now becoming the norm. This way a company does not have to pay benefits or any taxes. That's the latest trend.
Hire them when you need them..let them go when you don't. It's a win/win for corporations.
Exactly. Why pay an IT guy who is skilled in coding 20-30k extra a year, when you can pay some company in India a couple thousand to write you custom code, one time thing. Thats simply the way businesses think.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm in the field and looking to get out. Not because I don't enjoy programming..I still do even after 20 years..it's like doing crossword puzzles in ink
I'll just put my skills to use for free in the opensource community as a hobby.

But the cost of US programmers is too high compared with India, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. and the work is just too easy to offshore.

I do think CS is a good minor to have to diversify your skills but not as a major anymore as the jobs in the US are far and few inbetween these days.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You cannot offshore most IT work, because you can never offshore hardware installation, maintenance and troubleshooting..... .
Are you even in IT in a modern enterprise or understand what this means as this statement implies a level of cluelessness of what is being discussed? Sure the install and maintenance of hardware requires some on ground warm bodies, but they get managed just like everything else at a higher level by other business code written for that purpose. And end users in particular can be maintained remotely.

Anyone that would say that most IT work can't be offshored is not running with the facts.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Are you even in IT in a modern enterprise or understand what this means as this statement implies a level of cluelessness of what is being discussed? Sure the install and maintenance of hardware requires some on ground warm bodies, but they get managed just like everything else at a higher level by other business code written for that purpose. And end users in particular can be maintained remotely.

Anyone that would say that most IT work can't be offshored is not running with the facts.
Who cares about the business code. As long as there are computers on the ground, they will need people to maintain them, which is a huge part of ITs job. A call center in India can only guide other people to fixing their own problems, which is highly ineffective, especially when the problems are not standardized.

I could care less about you blathering on about business code. That is not even a tenth of a fraction of the total work ALL IT workers do. Most IT workers are employed in SMALL BUSINESS like every other profession, and they maintain local networks and their associated equipment which are often no more complicated then basic Cisco or NT platforms. There is no guy in a room writing optimization code.

Until you physically outsource the actual computers people are working on in businesses, IT workers will have a job. The networks have to be PHYSICALLY installed and maintained, and the computers need to be physically installed and maintained. At no point in time is the average office worker going to be bright enough to perform their own maintenance with the assistance of some remote call center.

Even if every single single business was offshored, completely, IT people would still find work here maintaining phone lines, data networks, and hardware. Until all IT equipment dissapears from the USA, or robots are instructed to fix problems, there will still be IT people, no matter how low their numbers might be.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
IBM laying off over 2000 and this is after the 10000 layoffs last year and all these jobs have permanently moved to India

IBM layoffs blamed on offshoring

Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
IBM laying off over 2000 and this is after the 10000 layoffs last year and all these jobs have permanently moved to India

IBM layoffs blamed on offshoring
Updated to 2600 now. IBM does not announce or verify such cuts though.

recordonline.com - Times Herald-Record - IBM

Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Thinking of spending thousands in student loans for your degree, then you may want to avoid IT...unless you want to relocate to India

IT hiring in India outpaces U.S.

part that I found interesting:

But they may also be betting that when U.S. companies start building out new IT projects, they may turn to outsourcers rather than add or rehire permanent employees.
Agree. I have a degree in IT but since there are no jobs I am working a low paying call center position that doesn't even require a degree. I am currently thinking about my future and considering going back to school in another field. IT was great in the late '90s but never recovered from the '01 recession and for some reason school guidance counselors still haven't got with the program. As a result, far more IT/CS degrees are being turned out than there are jobs. The result, people with bachelors degrees are working retail, fast food, manual labor, etc because IT/CS degrees are so specialized you cannot really apply them to other fields like you can a business degree. I second anybody who says DO NOT get an IT/CS degree. IT is dead in the US for the time being. The people who are going to make it big did so in the '90s and since most entry-level positions have been shipped to India, it is nearly impossible to get your foot in the door. I bought the big lie of the early '00s that computer science is the future and IT will grow exponentially throughout the next couple decades. I am hoping the current generation graduating high school doesn't make the same mistake and waste the time and money on a CS degree that's worth jack ****.

In my opinion, community colleges and run-of-the-mill four year schools should do students and the economy a favor and stop offering CS majors. CS should be in ranks with other specialized majors such as meteorology, astronomy, etc that you can only obtain from a top school and few should be able to do it. That way, the number of graduates can be thinned out to meet demand and the ones who do obtain CS degrees have the tools needed to succeed in the 2010 (not 1997) IT market.

Last edited by bchris02; 03-08-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
One of the best post I have ever read on the state of the IT job market. The reason nobody knows is real simple. It all about cash. The media has no idea what their talking about or are bought off. Big saves cash by using H1B"S or offshore the work to India or some other wage nation. Colleges make cash by getting students. People want to keep their jobs at these college. Why tell you their are no jobs in IT they want that paycheck. Your 18 what do you know about anything. And they will not be paying back your loans anyhow. The guys who made it in IT made it early on the new kids are out of luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
One of the best post I have ever read on the state of the IT job market. The reason nobody knows is real simple. It all about cash. The media has no idea what their talking about or are bought off. Big saves cash by using H1B"S or offshore the work to India or some other wage nation. Colleges make cash by getting students. People want to keep their jobs at these college. Why tell you their are no jobs in IT they want that paycheck. Your 18 what do you know about anything. And they will not be paying back your loans anyhow. The guys who made it in IT made it early on the new kids are out of luck.

Actually, the guy who made it in IT early probably has a target on his back every day. There is no doubt a line of kids who will do his job for half the price. They might not have experience, but when has a thing like experience or quality stopped a US company from making a business decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics