Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

Thinking of spending thousands in student loans for your degree, then you may want to avoid IT...unless you want to relocate to India

IT hiring in India outpaces U.S.

part that I found interesting:

But they may also be betting that when U.S. companies start building out new IT projects, they may turn to outsourcers rather than add or rehire permanent employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
IT is not synonymous with computer science.

regardless, i don't see why an american student would switch out of computer science because indian IT hiring is up. can you elaborate?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Thinking of spending thousands in student loans for your degree, then you may want to avoid IT...unless you want to relocate to India

IT hiring in India outpaces U.S.

part that I found interesting:

But they may also be betting that when U.S. companies start building out new IT projects, they may turn to outsourcers rather than add or rehire permanent employees.
Partially true but don't forget security clearance requirements. That's something that can only be handled domestically. But I will say this to prospective IT majors: keep your nose clean -- stay out of trouble if you do want a security clearance. Otherwise, see you in Mumbai!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
I heard they eat fancy food more in Europe than in the US. Better tell all American kids that a culinary arts education might be useless unless they want to move to Europe!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
IT is not synonymous with computer science.
Career-wise it is. What non-IT jobs would one go into with a CS (4 yr) degree?

Quote:
regardless, i don't see why an american student would switch out of computer science because indian IT hiring is up. can you elaborate?
Because out-sourcing is ALL the rage and there was already a glut of IT people out there besides. The gist being too many applicants, not enough positions. And it's only getting worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Partially true but don't forget security clearance requirements. That's something that can only be handled domestically. But I will say this to prospective IT majors: keep your nose clean -- stay out of trouble if you do want a security clearance. Otherwise, see you in Mumbai!
Good general advice of course (keep your nose clean), but very few IT jobs require a clearance. And this is from an old military guy.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Go for a Fed job or a job with a company that has a Fed contract. Fed work cannot be offshored.
State/Local government work can but not Fed work. The last bastion of US based software development..the very government that allowed the offshoring to get where it is today. Kinda ironic, isn't it ?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
Several books woth reading on the subject: 'The World Is Flat" (Friedman), "Does IT Matter" & "The Bg Switch" (Carr). They lay out an interesting discussion on the IT world and what may be coming.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Is IT the same as a computer science degree? I didn't think they were?... aren't there different emphasis.

I think a security clearance is very good to have.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
No. The more apt title would be "hold off on those associates degrees in information technology with 2-3 certs."

A BS in Computer science is a different ballgame.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
No. The more apt title would be "hold off on those associates degrees in information technology with 2-3 certs."

A BS in Computer science is a different ballgame.
Same ending though..I have a BS in Engineering.
Jobs are flying out of the country at warp speed. The rate at which they are leaving only escalated with the current economy. Companies want to make profits and with no revenue, cost cutting is the only way to get that net profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics