U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
In 10 years with most engineering degrees, salaries balloon right near 100k a year.
I'd love to know where you're getting your salary "data" from on that one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,555,958 times
That's for sure...audit people are always annoyed when their friends and family ask tax questions!

Can totally agree about Big 4 turnover ratio, I had the misfortune of being in the hiring group that started just as the effects of the recession hit. Hardly anyone made it to 2 years, they cut most of them after the first year and a half. The norm is to work two or three years then leave to work elsewhere. From what I've heard they are back to normal, but that doesn't help those of us who got laid off/fired during 2009-2010.

The thing about accounting is that there's a big gap between what's available for entry level and for someone with at least two or three years of experience. Getting that first two or three years is what's proving to be a challenge for people who have graduated over the past 3-4 years. I was cut by a big 4 after one year, and even though that was enough for me to get my CPA license, it's not enough to beat out someone with more experience, even if they often don't have the CPA or Big 4 on their resume. I find that my advanced degree, certifications, and experience often work against me for a lot of jobs because I am "overqualified."

The only positive to the tough job market is that fewer will be able to meet the experience requirement for the CPA, so that will at least avoid a glut of CPAs and might provide a bigger need for them later on.

As far as salary numbers, it really depends on where you live. I was making 58k as a brand new Big 4 associate, but that was in an area with an ultra high cost of living and it was before the recession. Where I live now there are no major companies and starting pay is in the 30s, usually closer to lower 30s if it's in industry. And yes, I hope to be able to move sometime this year.

I think there's a ton of opportunity in accounting while you're in school, but if you can't get a job by graduation you may have a long road ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics