U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM

13,735 posts, read 26,246,263 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I had a huge fear of another Great Depression, having read about it. I asked my father, "If there's another Depression, would we eat Tippy (the family mutt). I still remember his logic- "No, you don't eat your friends."

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM

7,766 posts, read 17,116,278 times
"Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends." -- George Bernard Shaw

"Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can't find them, make them." -- George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 3,716,682 times
"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can't find them, make them. When the food is running out and I'm hungry, I'll go shoot something and eat it." -- Shuffler

Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM

7,766 posts, read 17,116,278 times
When the food is running out and I'm hungry, I'll go shoot something and eat it." -- Shuffler
The trigger happy people are already chompin at the bit with the possibility of a complete breakdown of civilization as we know it. What a great opportunity to shoot first and ask questions later.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 PM

719 posts, read 2,383,851 times
During the coming times the purpose of hunting will revert to the pursuit of food, not a nice set of horns.

"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,790,102 times
Already have a couple lbs of Scot 1000 powder, 75 lbs of lead shot, 5000 primers and a couple thousand reusable 12 ga. hulls sitting in dry storage alongside my reloader. Could be that they're not just for skeet shootin' any more.

I'm also a card-carrying member of PETA (that's People for the Eating of Tasty Animals).

I also have some 3" magnum hulls and a bag of 00 buckshot in case it becomes necessary to keep the predator population under control.

Debt is Dangerous

Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,903,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
When the food is running out and I'm hungry, I'll go shoot something and eat it." -- Shuffler
The trigger happy people are already chompin at the bit with the possibility of a complete breakdown of civilization as we know it. What a great opportunity to shoot first and ask questions later.
Cosmic, have I told you recently how much I enjoy your posts?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Indeed they are. And then there are those of us who see the usefulness of firearms for hunting & protection in a bad situation.

Who's got your back if/when the time comes? You can't really reason with somebody determined to harm you in order to get something they want.

I do need a sawed-off pumper for the tight quarters in my little house....and maybe some decorative iron wainscoting for duck and cover when the bullets fly....

Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,903,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Indeed they are. And then there are those of us who see the usefulness of firearms for hunting & protection in a bad situation.

Who's got your back if/when the time comes? You can't really reason with somebody determined to harm you in order to get something they want.

I do need a sawed-off pumper for the tight quarters in my little house....and maybe some decorative iron wainscoting for duck and cover when the bullets fly....
I think the best defense is to live very quietly. If nobody knows you have it, they won't come looking for it. In other words, "Don't be a show-off."

Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I think the best defense is to live very quietly. If nobody knows you have it, they won't come looking for it. In other words, "Don't be a show-off."
Yeah, that won't work too well for the McMansion/gated community set....my little 1200sq ft house doesn't draw much attention beyond its red door. Lurking behind that door is a man with guns...and booze.

"I see a red door and I want it painted black" -Rolling Stones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or