Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
that guy who represents the NAR (?) = Lawrence Yun

If you believe anything that comes out of his mouth you are the kind of person I'm looking for. Have I got a deal for you! I'm selling 10 acres of my Colorado oceanfront property at a price you can't afford to pass up. You owe it to yourself and your family to do whatever it takes to get er done. This is a once in every ten lifetimes opportunity.
Found an article in the Rocky from January featuring Yun....yep, that's the guy.

The Adams Group site is a good reference point, thanks Mike.

I came across this doc also....dated, but still relevant

Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The future for home prices, an article from The Denver Post, reports that Denver and Colorado Springs are among the metro areas expected to do well in the long run, according to Kenneth Rosen, chairman of the Fisher Center for Real Estate at the University of California, Berkeley. He noted that cities with the most promise offer the following: "urban vitality" and "easy access to outdoor activities" along with affordable housing and promising job-growth opportunities from modern industries, such as biotechnology.
The future for home prices - The Denver Post
I think the future in COLO could be quite well if a few things happen, like using the Intel chip plant here in COLO SPGS to make photovoltaic cells for solar power generation and if we can make and install wind turbine towers. A few tax incentives would make wind and solar into hot industries. We've the sun and wind here to use these things, and we have the means here to make both of these products. I say thumbs up for COLO.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM

I'll get excited about Renewables when our leadership fully commits to them, and commits to them in light of plummeting oil prices. I'm sold on the technology as a logical step, but not sold on our elected leadership's ability to truly launch initiatives vs. just paying them lip service.

I'll take wind farms and solar grids over housing tracts and strip malls any day...and would be thrilled to hop on RTD light rail from Longmont to Denver if that ever becomes reality.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I'll get excited about Renewables when our leadership fully commits to them, and commits to them in light of plummeting oil prices. I'm sold on the technology as a logical step, but not sold on our elected leadership's ability to truly launch initiatives vs. just paying them lip service.

I'll take wind farms and solar grids over housing tracts and strip malls any day...and would be thrilled to hop on RTD light rail from Longmont to Denver if that ever becomes reality.
There's so much infrastructure & grid work that could be done with the right leadership and incentives that the work could last for generations. What bugs me is that since just after the Vietnam war ended, we let it all rot, as there seemed to be a malaise in the nation that the end was near or all was lost, that we had no future and since we had no future there was no need to refresh our infrastructure, just consume our fool heads off. Of course, no one really said these things, but I felt it as sure as I'm typing this.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's so much infrastructure & grid work that could be done with the right leadership and incentives that the work could last for generations. What bugs me is that since just after the Vietnam war ended, we let it all rot, as there seemed to be a malaise in the nation that the end was near or all was lost, that we had no future and since we had no future there was no need to refresh our infrastructure, just consume our fool heads off. Of course, no one really said these things, but I felt it as sure as I'm typing this.
By the time bailout mania runs its course, there won't be money or even available credit left for public basics, much less big ideas like these.

The robber barons are stealing our future right now. That's the real hell of what is happening with these $trillions in giveaways to the thieves of Wall Street. Look at AIG...recent recipient of 35,000 times a million tax dollars. They're shamelessly paying executive retention bonuses of up to $4 million per executive.

AIG Says More Managers Get Retention Payouts Topping $4 Million

Given the government's inability to say no to the SOBs, maybe we should shift our discussions from alternative energy and light rail to more practical things, like sock darning and dog/cat recipes.

Debt is Diminishing our Future

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Found one today, by Ed Quinn. There is a list of quotations from all sorts of "experts" over the past 3+ years; typically an "all is well" quote in 2006 or 2007 and then a "we're screwed" quote in 2008. The article is long but should be required reading for fans of this thread. The quotes of Jefferson and Washington are insightful. LINK: - Is America on a Downward Slope? - Seeking Alpha

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Found one today, by Ed Quinn. There is a list of quotations from all sorts of "experts" over the past 3+ years; typically an "all is well" quote in 2006 or 2007 and then a "we're screwed" quote in 2008. The article is long but should be required reading for fans of this thread. The quotes of Jefferson and Washington are insightful. LINK: - Is America on a Downward Slope? - Seeking Alpha
The mistake people are making is thinking guvment is the cure for all this. The guvment and it's policies are responsible for the problem in the first place. These folks are the last people in the world to fix it. Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank running the car business for instance? What the hell do they know about making cars?

What will pull the USA back together is the American people and their hard work and ingenuity. It's the people that will create and develop and grow and build, not the guvment.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 AM

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

--Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Oops. . .

From the Rocky Mountain News:

November home sales in metro area worst on record
Number of sold properties falls 31.8% from Oct.

Quote:
November home sales in the Denver area were the worst on record and prices hit levels not seen since 2001.

It appears to be the worst November on record, said Gary Bauer, an independent broker who has Metrolist data on home sales going back almost 30 years. . .

Prices have fallen to levels not seen since the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. The last November when the average price of a single-family home was lower was in 2001, when it stood at $233,119. . .

Mygatt said the sales of homes at $1 million or more have almost come to a halt.

"That market is paralyzed right now," Mygatt said. "I think a big part of that is because the stock market is so uncertain right now. People are just not committing to acquiring high- value real estate. But I think there is significant pent-up demand and that the market will bounce back when the economy recovers."
The prediction that the market will bounce back when the economy recovers is particularly helpful, isn't it?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Anybody know where Colorado's median house price stands in relation to the median household income? I wonder if we're getting close yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics