Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times

Advertisements

An excellent article, for those that didn't sleep through their econ coursework.

Bernanke's Fatal Flaw: Trying to Inflate Four Truck Tires With a Turkey Baster

Debt is not a Deity

Old 12-17-2008, 04:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Jazz,

Do you have any thoughts about Sen. Salazar being nominated as Secretary of the Interior?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...2sk&refer=home

Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,619 times
I just wanted to thank whomever posted those AWESOME links about the depression. One was from a man named Pierre (forgot his last name) and the other was called Since Yesterday and was a link from Australia. I'm still reading that one--very comprehensive. It's a whole e-book.

The parallels are pretty fearsome.

Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Bob,

Another great article link. Thank you.

I am increasingly horrified by the "bail out at all costs" philosophy now being pursued in earnest in Washington--and, by all indications, likely to continue in the Obama administration. A friend of mine made a great analogy the other day about this. He allowed that opening the money spigots to try to stop the massive de-leveraging--de-leveraging that rather should absolutely occur to get our economy, currency, and mindset back to being productive--is tantamount to a person who is cold setting fire to his house to warm up. That act, while it may actually make the person warmer for a short period of time, is completely wasteful and inefficient in achieving its desired effect, is dangerous in the extreme in its own right, and inevitably will lead to catastrophic future consequences that make any temporary benefits pale to insignificance. I thought that was one of most lucid descriptions that anyone had ever made of the current economic lunacy being perpetrated by our government.

To answer sterlinggirl's question about Ken Salazar being appointed Secretary of the Interior, my short answer is that we could do much worse. Salazar is from a ranching family in rural Colorado (though he has been away from it for many years). He is well-versed on natural resource and water resource issues in the Rocky Mountain West. From my very limited dealings with him when he was Colorado's Attorney General, he seemed pretty seemed pretty logical with good "horse-sense." All of those are positives--certainly better than the alternative of having some Eastern or West Coast dingbat appointed to that position. I think his key to success will be balancing the needs of environmental protection, resource conservation, and water issues with the overwhelming pressure to exploit the natural resources of the region--all amongst a federal budgetary landscape that promises to be absolutely bleak. A tough row for anybody to hoe.

Last edited by jazzlover; 12-17-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Do you have any thoughts about Sen. Salazar being nominated as Secretary of the Interior?
Salazar voted for every one of the bailout bills, which makes him a political slug in my book.

His cabinet appointment frees me up in 2010, because I had my calendar blocked off to work full time for a couple months making big noise about that...no pol should think that those votes will ever be forgotten as we increasingly stagger under the dead weight of this massive and fraud-induced increase to public debt.

So right now, at least from my District in Colo Springs, we have no bailout bas**rds to deal with at this point. Rep Lamborn and Sen Allard voted against. Allard is retiring, replaced by Dem. Sen-elect Udall (no record on the issue), and we'll have a yet-to-be-named Dem replacement for Salazar until 2010. Hopefully the two new senators will be in this for Colorado taxpayers, and not end up as two freshmen pledges in Harry Reid's fraternity house, rubber-stamping votes for the Bailout Brigade.

Debt is a Hemlock Drip

Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
... snip ... Hopefully the two new senators will be in this for Colorado taxpayers, and not end up as two freshmen pledges in Harry Reid's fraternity house, ...
I think it was Dennis Miller, tonight, that said Reid was from Las Vegas and despite all the lights on the strip, Reid was the dimmest bulb.... pretty good line... Nevada can do better....

s/Mike

Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I think it was Dennis Miller, tonight, that said Reid was from Las Vegas and despite all the lights on the strip, Reid was the dimmest bulb.... pretty good line... Nevada can do better....

s/Mike
Yes, it was Dennis Miller. Funny guy

Misery Loves Company

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM

I've found the PERFECT gal for some of our posters. Link: Seeking strong mate for apocalyptic /post-apocalyptic environment (http://boulder.craigslist.org/w4m/962487509.html - broken link)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've found the PERFECT gal for some of our posters. Link: Seeking strong mate for apocalyptic /post-apocalyptic environment (http://boulder.craigslist.org/w4m/962487509.html - broken link)
This is a absolute crack up.

And Mike, what were you doing on the Women Seeking Men Craigslist, hmmmm? Were you being naughty?

I found the perfect guy:

(image not protected by copyright)
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Don-Knotts-Photograph-C11797019.jpeg (broken link)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is a absolute crack up.

And Mike, what were you doing on the Women Seeking Men Craigslist, hmmmm? Were you being naughty?

I found the perfect guy for her; Don Knotts . . .
Cheap thrills are all that I can afford now-a-days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics