Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times

Advertisements

And most of OUR state's natural gas will be exported to the natural gas challenged midwest, right?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
And most of OUR state's natural gas will be exported to the natural gas challenged midwest, right?
You've got it. The Rockies Express pipeline, now nearing completion, will go all the way to Ohio, where it will connect with other pipelines headed into the East Coast. Great for the gas producers in the Rocky Mountain West, but it will raise the retail cost of natural gas here by a bunch. There are already other pipelines, like Kern River headed to the West Coast as an example, that are either scheduled to be, or being talked about being expanded, too.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Wood is expensive too, whether it's bought or if I'm paying for gas to drive somewhere and cut it myself.
That's why you give beer to the crews that cut trees under power lines....

Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Natural gas - just another one of those fungible commodities!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM

166 posts, read 420,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The price of heating oil is also way up after they started trading it in the futures market this spring.
uh, what?! heating oil futures has traded on the nymex since 1979. it's higher mainly because of hedgers using it as a more liquid proxy for diesel.

http://mooreresearchcenter.net/pdf/ho.pdf

Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Dollar....If I sell my house for double what I paid, I'll think I broke even.

When you factor market declines with dollar declines, you can realize that the front range lost half its real estate wealth in the last few years.
not to pick on you, but why didn't you sell your house, rent, and invest the proceeds in gold if you knew real estate is a bad deal? or sell the dollar by buying currencies (except the j-yen, which has been crummy)? or another hard asset? i'll tell you why...because most folks suck at timing buys and sells of anything. take the gold buyers (please) in 1980 who knew gold would go to $2000, however, it took them 27 years to break even while during the same time california real estate owners doubled their money and then doubled it again. but if you bought gold in 01, then gold good, ca real estate good until 05, then bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multitrak View Post
not to pick on you, but why didn't you sell your house, rent, and invest the proceeds in gold if you knew real estate is a bad deal?
I never said my house was a bad deal....

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multitrak View Post
uh, what?! heating oil futures has traded on the nymex since 1979.
So what was the change this spring? There was some big deal related to heating oil and futures.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So what was the change this spring? There was some big deal related to heating oil and futures.
beats me. the only big news announcement was the nymex/cme merger in march. otherwise, business as usual.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM

290 posts, read 523,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Easy - wishful thinking, a la the status quo. Where'd that 'Future's Soooo Bright' guy disappear to, anyway?!
I'm still here, but there is nothing new on this thread to comment on ref:my last post.

We still have the same people complaining about the unaffordability of houses AND the downturn in the housing market. It doesn't matter if the prices go up or down, it is still bad..... nothing new.

One new thing I noticed.. the attacks on out of staters became personal. I think even th moderators got tired of reading the negativity feeding off itself.

In the mean time, the economy still looks good - especially in Colorado. Exports are up, interest rates are down, and the market is rebounding.

When looking at the economy, don't confuse speed with acceleration. A lack of acceleration is not an indication of slow speed - especially if you have accelerated at a high rate in the recent past.

Future's sooooo bright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics