U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,792,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilgats View Post
Even if you don't post your response here because you're afraid of "doing someone's homework for them", just seems it could be mildly entertaining (at the least) to connect the dots - not that it's all that cryptic. And it could be interesting for the rest of us to read.

The relevance to CO (in case anyone wondered): Denver metro air quality, state-wide water resources, climate change and Southwestern snow pack, agriculture, mining (natural gas and oil, for example), resource usage towards Front Range development, public support for education and the culture that both feeds (and draws from) that, home values, income, how these things tie into "the national character, how it's perceived abroad, and how that in turn relates to CO and it's endeavors"... I see a common thread or two running through all these. I wonder what your thoughts are.
Not to be snarky, but I think there are like 88 pages of thoughts that touch on all those topics already written in this thread.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM

Here's a guy that makes me look positively cheerful. Mike Morgan is a lawyer/realtor with a frontline view of the real estate crisis from the front lines.

[URL="http://activerain.com/blogsview/538147/Florida-at-the-Precipice"]Florida at the Precipice of Depression[/URL]

As he says in the post, "Just Florida? No, but Florida is your crystal ball."

Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM

21,432 posts, read 40,074,979 times
Bob, after reading that Mike Morgan column, I'd swear he's none other than our very own JazzLover.

Morgan isn't the only one predicting depression; Harry Dent is, one running from 2010 until 2023. But who knows; it may actually get here, time will tell. I think the current administration has done a good job, with the tax rebate and other ploys, to push the day of reckoning downstream until the NEXT guy takes office, at which time THAT president will get painted with the hateful brush of economic disaster, and as Dent says, the next president will be a one-term president.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 AM

7,766 posts, read 17,125,486 times
Bob from down south wrote:[INDENT][I]Here's a guy that makes me look positively cheerful[/I].
[/INDENT]Bob, wipe that smile off your face, be real, and give us some seriously depressing news.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

862 posts, read 2,381,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Bob from down south wrote:[INDENT][I]Here's a guy that makes me look positively cheerful[/I].
[/INDENT]Bob, wipe that smile off your face, be real, and give us some seriously depressing news.
He must be a joy to have at dinner parties. Imagine a road trip with the doom & gloomers. One would eventually open the car door at 65MPH and jump out.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

7,766 posts, read 17,125,486 times
Yesterday I wrote:[INDENT][I]Nothing is static. No one needs to sit on their @ss and do nothing, but sometimes, doing nothing [B]is[/B] the best possible action. Even sitting on your @ss and doing nothing can result in favorable consequences. [/I]
[/INDENT][URL="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/lazy-portfolios-can-whip-coming/story.aspx?guid=%7BC65FFB56%2DF168%2D427E%2DA22A%2 D492D5F1EEB86%7D&dist=TNMostRead"][B]How to invest in a 'bad' market?[/B] [/URL] By [URL="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/mailto.asp?x=80+97+117+108+66+70+97+114+114+101+10 8+108&y=Paul+B.+Farrell&z=charter.net&guid=%7Bc65f fb56-f168-427e-a22a-492d5f1eeb86%7D&siteid=mktw"][COLOR=#0000cc]Paul B. Farrell[/COLOR][/URL], MarketWatch
"Our forecast is a lousy one for stocks and commodities, but a great for the dollar and Treasury bonds," says Shilling. But will you sell all you have and stick your nest egg in cash and gold? Or become an active trader. Probably not. If you're a passive investor like the vast majority, and you have a well-diversified portfolio, [B]your best strategy may be to do nothing[/B]. Yep, sit tight rather than listen to endless bad advice from confused Street gurus. Most of us aren't good at market timing; the pros are worse.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,510,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
He must be a joy to have at dinner parties. Imagine a road trip with the doom & gloomers. One would eventually open the car door at 65MPH and jump out.
I wonder how many happy-go-lucky blue sky optimists there were when Vesuvius blew and buried Pompei and Herculanaeum? If it's really bad, what good does it do to pretend it's not? There is a trillion in bad paper out there yet to absorb.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I wonder how many happy-go-lucky blue sky optimists there were when Vesuvius blew and buried Pompei and Herculanaeum? If it's really bad, what good does it do to pretend it's not? There is a trillion in bad paper out there yet to absorb.
You are [U]COMPLETELY[/U] missing the point. [B]It's about a STATE OF MIND, [U]not ignorance.[/U][/B]

There is no "pretend" going on.

Knowing that things are bad and preparing for them vs. constantly focusing on the bad and crying doom & gloom are totally different. Until you see and understand the difference, you will not get the point.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Yep, sit tight rather than listen to endless bad advice from confused Street gurus. Most of us aren't good at market timing; the pros are worse.
I believe there are many "street gurus" here and they are self-proclaimed "pros" and prophets. Some boast about how they seen this coming and how prepared they are and how they are retiring at 40 & going on easy street because of all the "wise" decisions they made. To that, a certain passage from the Bible comes to mind:

[I]"The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; [B]take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.[/B]

But God said unto him, [B]Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee:[/B] then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."
[/I]
[COLOR="black"][FONT="Garamond"]Luke 12:16-21
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Time for a little more proselytizing to round things out.

I offer a small reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

[I]Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." [/I]

[I]And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals[/I]

[I]Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."[/I]

-M. Python
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or