Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

You thought we were bad, Spain has 19% officially reported unemployment Looks pretty bad for the bunch of them (Portugal, Ireland/Italy, Greece and Spain)

The Euro's Final Battleground: Spain - WSJ.com

The Eurozone was a bad experiment that should come to an end.

"Spain is the real test case for the euro," says Desmond Lachman of the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. "If Spain is in deep trouble, it will be difficult to hold the euro together...and my own view is that Spain is in deep trouble."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
I wouldn't take a US think-tank or some British newspaper too seriously, I would look for cues from eurozone insiders.

The euro is likely to survive because the alternatives are worse, and European, US and British policymakers all know it.

There's a lot of speculative steam being blown around right now: among other things, like competition to fund sovereign debt, traders need something to do.

Another slight possibility is that the peripheral eurozone countries are booted out, leaving "core", mostly northern Europe with the euro.

That would present a good opportunity to buy a Mediterranean vacation home (Italy or Greece my preferences) at a discounted price after devaluations of the revived escudo, peseta, lira, drachma. Some people thrive on risk and relative chaos, or at least know how to manage through it.

I really doubt it, though. Most likely the Europeans will adopt a common currency-creating mechanism: among other things, many Germans, risk-averse, buy vacation and retirement homes in Greece, and they like the security of the EU/eurozone too.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Yes Spain is in trouble. The country for years has relied on EU handouts and eventually all that was going to go bust.

In addition a lot of the wealth was based on Britons and others buying holiday or retirement homes. The problem with all that was that they overbuilt for the actual demand and in addition many of those northern retirees overestimated their financial ability to be able to live a life of peaches and rainbows in retirement.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
You thought we were bad, Spain has 19% officially reported unemployment
It is not the first time unemployment has been that high. It has nothing to do with the Euro. It is the economy just like in the US.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
You thought we were bad, Spain has 19% officially reported unemployment Looks pretty bad for the bunch of them (Portugal, Ireland/Italy, Greece and Spain)

The Euro's Final Battleground: Spain - WSJ.com

The Eurozone was a bad experiment that should come to an end.

"Spain is the real test case for the euro," says Desmond Lachman of the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. "If Spain is in deep trouble, it will be difficult to hold the euro together...and my own view is that Spain is in deep trouble."
19% unemployment is not completely that unusual in Spain. The article even mentioned this and said that even during the best of times their unemployment got down to 8%.

Spain's government also has a lower debt burden than a lot of countries, so I think they are still better off than a lot of countries. But they still have the problem of future Social Security payouts, which is a big problem because of their low birth rates.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Let's see. You have a common currency for individual country sovereign debt of the countries that use it without any common political power to control how those countries run up sovereign debt. Did they think this would actually work in the long run? The strength of the Euro is basically what used to be the German Mark and now those people are being asked to cover endless bad decisions by other countries. It won't last. One of them is going to run up debt to the moon, then pull out of the Eurozone and issue their own currency. As long as that currency is convertable to the dollar it won't matter to them. It's like having a credit card where someone else pays the bill.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
It's going to be interesting to see how the Euro holds it's value compared to the US dollar. I remember when it was 90 US cents for a euro.

I remember when people were big on the euro in 07 and 08 and I've always believed it was a house of cards that was going to collapse someday. People told me I was bonkers at the time, but I think the euro will be shedding value sooner than later.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how the Euro holds it's value compared to the US dollar. I remember when it was 90 US cents for a euro.

I remember when people were big on the euro in 07 and 08 and I've always believed it was a house of cards that was going to collapse someday. People told me I was bonkers at the time, but I think the euro will be shedding value sooner than later.
The U.S. dollar will probably hold up pretty well against the Euro, but I think the really interesting (and important) trend to watch will be how both currencies fare against Asian and commodity currencies. My suspicion is that both will suffer.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
The U.S. dollar will probably hold up pretty well against the Euro, but I think the really interesting (and important) trend to watch will be how both currencies fare against Asian and commodity currencies. My suspicion is that both will suffer.
Have to agree here: the US, EU, and even Japan, the countries of early industrialization, are pretty much in the same boat vis-a-vis the emerging countries.

Though I have a natural interest in the EUR/USD exchange rate, the more important measure is the rate of return on investment in a developing country vs rate of return on investment in the old fart countries, the US or EU, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
It is not the first time unemployment has been that high. It has nothing to do with the Euro. It is the economy just like in the US.
Yes, but being part of the EU limits a country's options in responding to its own needs. They are at the mercy of the other EU members as far as controlling the currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics