U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,638,376 times

Advertisements

I think all the layed off teachers must have come to Texas because we have a major glut of teachers looking for jobs.

Then I read the last 2 days about more states laying off teachers and think "oh boy..another influx to Texas". Just go see the Texas forums here...every other post "Teacher moving to Texas" We have not built 50,000 new schools in the past year.

There's a glut in education. Many white collar workers went to teaching when they couldn't find jobs 2-3 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM

750 posts, read 1,345,452 times
You are right HappyTexan I was an education major at a big state U. Tons of laid off white collar workers 30 to 55. They want to go into teaching they think it is safe from layoff. They want something that can not be sent overseas. They think all the jobs are in the south because that what the colleges tell them. I am from the south so I knew better. But I bought the retirements are just around the bend. If you read my posts on that matter you will see the reasons that will not happen. But everybody thinks I do not know what I am talking lol. Love your posts as always. They are always good and on point. This Southern boy always learns something from them.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM

66 posts, read 124,835 times
Even medical isn't sacred...Two hospitals closing in Miami. About 4500 jobs will be gone along with 581 beds.

Jackson puts 2 hospitals on chopping block - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/06/1515448/jackson-puts-2-hospitals-on-chopping.html - broken link)

I am a medical transcriptionist here in the U.S. The largest MT company is owned by an Indian (as in India the country) company and your medical records are being transcribed by people who barely speak English. (I don't work for that company, BTW.) I don't see medical transcription here in the U.S. surviving much longer.

And why is it all the doctors I transcribe for are from India or somewhere else and barely speak English? Are there no American kids who want to become doctors?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 AM

12,470 posts, read 18,192,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
70% of the US economy is fueled by the consumer
That is only a bit above the historic norm for the US, historically the economy has been around 60% consumption. But people love to mention these numbers without any sort of context, makes it sound more dramatic.

Manufacturing contributes around $2.7 trillion to US GDP.

Why aren't people talking about creating more framing jobs? Those pesky machines have made US framers so productive that only around 2% of Americans need to work at farming. We need to bring those jobs back! Destroy the machines!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You are out of date for the current world. Would your claimed methods have worked if you were required debt to do school, or if those bottom end jobs you claim were rare or difficult?
People are not required to use debt to go to school, there are options even today. Of course people can choose not to go to college as well, which in many cases may be a better option.

People in their 20's and 30's are amazingly whining and refuse to take personal responsibility. Its always the governments fault, the "corporation" fault, its never that they are lazy and lack personal discipline. I finished school with sizable student loan debt, credit card debt and a stupid new car purchase. Realizing the mistake over around 3~4 years I improved my balance sheet even while starting a business on the side. And this was not 20 years ago, it was in the 2000's and I was mocked all the time for refusing to spend money on things (e.g., going out to eat, movies, trips, etc) from others in my age group. I have no sympathy for these brats.

Anyhow, the 20 somethings were for whatever reason convinced that all they had to do to succeed was get a degree from some lowly college. Instead of realizing the error after graduation, they more often than not whine about it endlessly.

At times I seriously wish I could go back in time 50~60 years....

Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,821,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
People are not required to use debt to go to school, there are options even today. Of course people can choose not to go to college as well, which in many cases may be a better option.
In this economy I couldn't agree more. I would say going to school for something you're interested in and seeing if you can make a career out of it should be what it is all about. The other part of that is willingness to move anywhere for a job. If you have to move to India for a programming job that pays $50,000, well then by hell move to India. The people there are not bad, they really are not. But don't think you can get beef products there.

Quote:
People in their 20's and 30's are amazingly whining and refuse to take personal responsibility. Its always the governments fault, the "corporation" fault, its never that they are lazy and lack personal discipline. I finished school with sizable student loan debt, credit card debt and a stupid new car purchase. Realizing the mistake over around 3~4 years I improved my balance sheet even while starting a business on the side. And this was not 20 years ago, it was in the 2000's and I was mocked all the time for refusing to spend money on things (e.g., going out to eat, movies, trips, etc) from others in my age group. I have no sympathy for these brats.
This is where im confused. If you are a genius and don't mind the confined corners of a box, called your living room, you can be the richest person in the world. Invent new things because you have such great concentration. I am not mocking you, only saying, what I can only imagine who you are. Going out to the movies, catching a bite to eat at a restaurant, going camping, hiking. These all require money and not necessarily thousands a month or even high hundreds a month.
Quote:
Anyhow, the 20 somethings were for whatever reason convinced that all they had to do to succeed was get a degree from some lowly college. Instead of realizing the error after graduation, they more often than not whine about it endlessly.
See my answer above in relation to this and personal interest in the matter. I can't find a job and going to school is my only exit from insanity. I am going into debt, but we will see if it pays off in the end.

Quote:
At times I seriously wish I could go back in time 50~60 years....
Why is that? So you can be segregated from other people of a different skin color? Gain lung cancer because smoking was a big thing back then. Don't forget the lack of technology and mixing of cultures. If you think it was safer back in those times, you are wrong.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
This is where im confused. If you are a genius and don't mind the confined corners of a box, called your living room, you can be the richest person in the world. Invent new things because you have such great concentration. I am not mocking you, only saying, what I can only imagine who you are. Going out to the movies, catching a bite to eat at a restaurant, going camping, hiking. These all require money and not necessarily thousands a month or even high hundreds a month.
I really have no idea what you are talking about. To get myself out of a hole I had to make certain sacrifices for awhile. Whining about the world did not seem all that helpful.

Quote:
I can't find a job and going to school is my only exit from insanity. I am going into debt, but we will see if it pays off in the end.
Its not your only exit, its just the exit you decided to pick.

Quote:
Why is that?
Because people back then were not a bunch of rent seeking sissies.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,396,489 times
Quote:
Because people back then were not a bunch of rent seeking sissies.

People 50 years ago would be in the exact same position many 20's and 30's people are today if brought forward in time.

True, they may have better saving habbits, but theyd still be in a ton of student debt, largely underemployed, and living with their parents under the combination of the weight of their student debt/lack of available good jobs.

However, if you brought forward all the high middle class manufacturing jobs those "tough as nails" people of the 40's and 50's had, I can guarantee you the 20's and 30's set wouldnt be so bitter.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
True, they may have better saving habbits, but theyd still be in a ton of student debt, largely underemployed, and living with their parents under the combination of the weight of their student debt/lack of available good jobs.
Nah, they understand that success comes from hard work not getting a piece of paper. If they took on student loan debt to go to school they would have done so mindfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
However, if you brought forward all the high middle class manufacturing jobs those "tough as nails" people of the 40's and 50's had, I can guarantee you the 20's and 30's set wouldnt be so bitter.
Yes they would, the whining college brats would not last one day in one of these types of jobs. Manufacturing jobs never afforded an affluent middle-class lifestyle, they were working class.

This generation of young adults thought they could avoid this sort of work and get the easy life if they just went to college. To some degree it made sense, if you look back in time the people with degrees did much better than those slaving away in the factories. So what happen? They mistook this piece of paper for what it represented. The educational bar was significantly lowered for this generation and current degrees have much less value than they did 40~50 years ago. A chimp can graduate from some of the programs at your local state colleges, yet kids getting them expect to be rolling in the bucks when they graduate. Nope, they will be working equivalent jobs that High School grads could get 40~50 years ago.

Last edited by user_id; 03-15-2010 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,396,489 times
Quote:
Nah, they understand that success comes from hard work not getting a piece of paper. If they took on student loan debt to go to school they would have done so mindfully.
The piece of paper is the only way you can even get an entry level job in most fields. Unless "working hard" at BK is going to afford you a decent life, then the only option is a piece of paper.

Quote:
Yes they would, the whining college brats would not last one day in one of these types of jobs. Manufacturing jobs never afforded an affluent middle-class lifestyle, they were working class.
Bull. Manufacturing jobs were the backbone of the robust middle class of the 40's-60's

If you ask me, if given the option, screw in the same screw every day for 20+ dollars an hour, or go to college, work 6 years in mentally taxing jobs, just to make less then I would have started on some of the auto lines and with far less benefits, I think Id take the manufacturing job. So would a whole lot of people. In fact, many college grads in the world today are people who DID take the manufacturing job and got forced out of it when it closed, and had no other option but to go get the piece of paper and play the "chase the next hot industry" game with the rest of the college seniors, stay at home moms, and GI Bill recipients.

Quote:
This generation of young adults thought they could avoid this sort of work and get the easy life if they just went to college.
No, this sort of life doesnt exist. The US has been bleeding manufacturing and blue collar jobs for decades, and they are never coming back. The ones that are being replaced, are with low end service jobs, or jobs that require degrees and book learning as a minimum prerequisite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics