Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,743 times

Advertisements

Randomdude you know what you are talking about. My Mom was a CNA in High School in 1968 or 1969 paid for a bed and dresser ect paid for a car cash. She paid for gas upkeep on the car. She had 800 bucks in the bank. That would be what 5000 grand today? She made a buck and 15cents got a dime rasie. She told me that was good for the then. My grandpa made $6/hr bluecollar. They paid for a house my grandmother never worked. They rasied 3 kids sent one to college. As the years passed he worked his way up at the plant made good cash good medical ect. Never got done with school and ran the place by the time he retried 150 workers answered to him. Today the greenback is worth nothing Gas is not 25 cent but 3 to 4 bucks a gallon . There tons of colleges in this aea. Tons of overeducated people who will work for almost nothing. The bulecallor jobs are long gone. People will stand 300 deep for an $8/hr job. Grow Men hardworking educated people. This has been going on for years here. The US is full of small towns and cities like this. We have shiped all of our good paying bule callor overseas. And then we started with our whitecollar jobs in 1990'S People say move but now most people in these cities are not getting far on 8 bucks an hour takes money to move. And the bigger issue move to where? The has been in bad shape for years. But the real problem is little 16 year old Tom is too lazy to beat out 40 year old Bobby with and MA kids to feed. For a temp or partime or Kmart job for 8 bucks an hour lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

576 posts, read 994,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Randomdude you know what you are talking about. My Mom was a CNA in High School in 1968 or 1969 paid for a bed and dresser ect paid for a car cash. She paid for gas upkeep on the car. She had 800 bucks in the bank. That would be what 5000 grand today? She made a buck and 15cents got a dime rasie. She told me that was good for the then. My grandpa made $6/hr bluecollar. They paid for a house my grandmother never worked. They rasied 3 kids sent one to college. As the years passed he worked his way up at the plant made good cash good medical ect. Never got done with school and ran the place by the time he retried 150 workers answered to him. Today the greenback is worth nothing Gas is not 25 cent but 3 to 4 bucks a gallon . There tons of colleges in this aea. Tons of overeducated people who will work for almost nothing. The bulecallor jobs are long gone. People will stand 300 deep for an $8/hr job. Grow Men hardworking educated people. This has been going on for years here. The US is full of small towns and cities like this. We have shiped all of our good paying bule callor overseas. And then we started with our whitecollar jobs in 1990'S People say move but now most people in these cities are not getting far on 8 bucks an hour takes money to move. And the bigger issue move to where? The has been in bad shape for years. But the real problem is little 16 year old Tom is too lazy to beat out 40 year old Bobby with and MA kids to feed. For a temp or partime or Kmart job for 8 bucks an hour lol.

Would be interesting to see the stats on it all. Back in the 60's folks that were typical blue collar workers, able to raise a family on that income, $6/hr. What portion of that income was divied into housing, car payment, medical, food, fuel to get back and forth to work.

Vs. today, the average blue collar worker who, can't find steady work for the most part. Those that do, what portion of their income is spent on the above necessary expenses.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
A lot of us pulled it together in the 70's again in the 80's and the 90's and the market crash in the early 2000's. Worked it out, did not go into debt beyond our means. Maybe others should try it.
Well, man, it's obvious you don't grasp how capitalism works if you call everybody to go debtless = instant death. Capitalism without debt is like ... hm... a banker without a suit. So you didn't go in debt, then you owe gratitude to those who did and kept economy from falling apart. All money is created as debt, no new debts, no new money to pay off old debts, the end. Got it? Freeloader.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Manufacturing this, manufacturing that, blah blah blah blah blah...what's the point? Even if by some magical grace that manufacturing jobs suddenly sprang up all over the place, it's just a matter of time before technology and automation renders you obsolete again anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but I for one sure as Hell am not putting myself in any position to be made obsolete. Not if I can help it, anyhow.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Ah, who needs a manufacturing base when we have the jobs of the future: healthcare and "green jobs".

Oh wait, there is no money to pay for healthcare (& .gov is already paying half of the tab these days) and green jobs are not going to pan out because... no money. (FL's solar industry is going belly up)

70% of the US economy is fueled by the consumer. How much "disposable income" do you have when you are working a "service" job and owe $20,000 for your worthless BA degree?
Boy are we screwed. A whole generation of kids now can't even afford to live on their own, let alone have kids of their own.

I hate to see how desperate people are going to get after they retrain for a great new career in healthcare and then can't find a job (and owe student loans). Hospitals are in the red from providing more and more free care to the ininsured. They can't afford to hire more nurses. I'm hearing about hiring freezes in the nursing field now. Soon nurse wages will dip because of over-supply. The only healthcare jobs in demand will be home health aides, at $8/hr to bathe old people, and only until Uncle Sam can't pay the tab anymore.

I don't see how there will be a recovery. The vicious cycle has set in: businesses won't hire/ grow because consumer spending had dropped off, and the consumer won't spend until the jobs are there again.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Manufacturing this, manufacturing that, blah blah blah blah blah...what's the point? Even if by some magical grace that manufacturing jobs suddenly sprang up all over the place, it's just a matter of time before technology and automation renders you obsolete again anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but I for one sure as Hell am not putting myself in any position to be made obsolete. Not if I can help it, anyhow.
Automation is not a silver bullet, many processes are hard to automate, in many more cheap labor beats robots into pulp. Manufacturing for the sake of manufacturing doesn't make sense, but what even more senseless is to expect Chinese to work for free (a.k.a. government bonds) forever.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
another reason there isn't likely to be a recovery is that we have an administration that is working hard to make sure that it doesn't happen:

The Obama administration is taking steps to close off several parts of the Intermountain West to industrial activity, including four areas believed to hold significant oil and natural gas deposits.
If successful, the initiative would block future production of hydrocarbons in the San Rafael Swell in Utah, the Otero Mesa in New Mexico, the Vermillion Basin in Colorado, and the Northern Prairie in Montana.
The US Interior Department is leading the effort and says it is authorized to take such action under the Antiquities Act of 1906. Interior officials hope to designate 14 areas as "national monuments," which would ban drilling or other activities that may disturb the landscape. Existing leaseholders would not be affected.
One area targeted for national monument status, the 1.2 million-acre Otero Mesa in southeastern New Mexico, is believed to hold large natural gas deposits.

why on earth would our president be working to impede our energy independence while pumping our money into petrobras for brazil, unless he was a corporate globalist? why would we have porous borders with mexico when our government knows that mexico's cantarell oil field is winding down production and actually that mexico is likely to need to import oil within the next 10 years?

either we have a government that is very short-sighted in terms of american interests or has a long range plan which doesn't put american interests first.

let me add that the projected 2010 figures are:

In 2010, under an assumption that no legislative changes occur, CBO estimates that federal spending will total $3.5 trillion and revenues will total $2.2 trillion. The resulting deficit of about $1.3 trillion would be just $65 billion less than last year’s shortfall and more than three times the size of the deficit recorded in 2008.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-11-2010 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Today we have another idiotic "news" article that says "6 Sectors That Are Creating Jobs"

6-sectors-that-are-creating-jobs: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Healthcare!

Quote:
Health Care: The health care sector created 280,000 jobs since February 2009, led by solid growth in ambulatory care services - which includes offices of physicians and other health practitioners, outpatient care centers and home healthcare services. Healthcare is one of the largest industries in the US, employing 13.6 million people. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), "Career Guide to Industries, 2010-11 Edition" forecasts that the sector will generate 3.2 million new jobs between 2008 and 2018. This is more job growth than any other industry, mainly due to rapid increase in the elderly population.
Hmmm...gainesvilletimes.com - Nursing profession hit by recession, too

Education!

Quote:
Education Services: This sector has generated 179,000 jobs over the past year. With an increasing number of people going back to school to update their skills, job prospects look bright.

You have GOT to be kidding me! In Georgia and Florida, the state university system is laying off employees, as well as cutting course offerings and turning away students. We can't meet the crunch of new students who want to re-train.

Things are even worse in K-12: gainesvilletimes.com - Hall County Schools System could close elementary school to save money

Some districts in GA just approved a 165 day school year. That's a cut of 3 whole weeks off the year! Other counties are getting ready to lay off hundreds of teachers. School districts in the Phoenix area might cut kindergarten down from a full day to a half day, according to my friend who lives there. There are thousand of teachers nationwide who can't find jobs right now, and when the stimulus runs out, we are told that could mean a cut of 100,000+ teaching jobs. POOF. GONE. How in the heck does that translate into "Job prospects look bright?"

Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Automation is not a silver bullet, many processes are hard to automate, in many more cheap labor beats robots into pulp. Manufacturing for the sake of manufacturing doesn't make sense, but what even more senseless is to expect Chinese to work for free (a.k.a. government bonds) forever.
a lot of automation costs a lot of money. if lending falls, there will be likely more people filling those jobs down the road.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,743 times
Teaching has been this way for see some of my posts about it on it about on teaching job outlook. The states have already laid off a 100,000 teachers. This was over the last 3 years. The Feds bailed out the states so the cut will have to go any deeper. They have no cash to bail out the states a second time. SO this is the second 100,000 group of teachers. Floridasandy love your posts almost the whole Congress are corporat globalist dem/rep dose not matter, They are thinking only short sighted they are tied to big business or MNC"S . American interests do not even matter to them. They could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics