Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times

Advertisements

Correct, none of us are "unemployment" as mentioned, and after reviewing all the posts on this thread, not a single person has brought up their wages or dissatisfaction thereof. On the contrary, this discussion is more or less directed at the subject of income distribution and the extreme inequality that exists therein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The unemployment rate for educated individuals is around half the current unemployment rate:

Calculated Risk: Unemployment Rate and Level of Education

It is primarily the less educated work force that is getting hit with very high unemployment rates. If you isolated matters to just engineering, science, etc the unemployment rate would be even lower.

One needs to remember that even in a healthy economic there is some degree of unemployment and industries are rarely equally spread across the country.

The funny thing is that the people posting are not even unemployment, they just complain about about their wages because they think they are worth more (after all, isn't a college degree suppose to make everyone a millionaire?).
I kinda disagree with that stat...

First can the stat describe one who is 'uneducated' vs 'a educated person'?
If someone has been in the auto industry for 20 years, regardless of whether or not they went to a 4 year college 20 years ago, they are still educated in what they do....you accumilate a lot of knowledge over 20 yrs on a job...
And to me the first jobs to go are the non essential ones...like 'cordinator of resorce management'...as an example...jobs like that are the first to go.

The jobs I still see people with are the essential jobs like sanitation workers, construction and or repair, electricians auto mechanics,..in other word trade jobs, transportation jobs, like trucking bus drivers...or resturants whether fast food or otherwise...
I don't see any of the migrant workers being laid off? Cause food is a constant industry, nor do I see people who work in warehouses or distribution centers being laid off...
When all those brokerage firms closed down, or like I think over 80 banks closed in 2009, or all those cilicon based computer jobs that were lost...weren't all those 4 year degree jobs?

When I get on employment discusion boards, the people I see looking for work are those with engineering degrees or degrees in this and that...

Infact, when I was in trucking, more and more people with degrees were getting into it, cause their non essential industries were crashing, and they couldn't find work doing anything else...

Now if you don't have any marketable skill at all, you going to have difficulty finding work anywhere or anytime....

All I'm saying is in the real world, I see the non essential jobs go first...
And the basic food, water, shelter jobs, the essential ones, are the ones that are steady....cause they or their workers actually produce a tangible good...
I'll give a better example in next post...

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate for educated individuals is around half the current unemployment rate:

Calculated Risk: Unemployment Rate and Level of Education

It is primarily the less educated work force that is getting hit with very high unemployment rates. If you isolated matters to just engineering, science, etc the unemployment rate would be even lower.
Hey, you got some handy figures for the underemployed? Trying to tout that college grads have a low unemployment rate is just rubbish without having underemployed numbers as well. The fact that a person with a 40k degree is flipping burgers, because he was hired over someone without a degree, is not something to brag about. The guy without the degree who is unemployed is probably living a higher quality life from a combination of government transfer payments, then the chump with an $800 a month student loan payment taking out about 80% of his monthly take home pay.

Quote:
The funny thing is that the people posting are not even unemployment, they just complain about about their wages because they think they are worth more (after all, isn't a college degree suppose to make everyone a millionaire?).

Everyone a millionaire? No, but it should return its cost. Graduating with a 40k dollar degree and making $10 an hour, or even worse, not being able to find a job at all, is completely unacceptable.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Infact, when I was in trucking, more and more people with degrees were getting into it, cause their non essential industries were crashing, and they couldn't find work doing anything else...

Funny, my Dad is a cross country trucker, and tells stories all the time of truckers just walking away from their trucks because there is no freight.

The fact is, there is nothing that is absolutely needed. Every single job can be axed. We do not need fast food workers, and they will go when discretionary income cannot support them, we do not need construction (construction was the hardest hit industry in this bust economy), we do not need electricians or auto mechanics. People will learn how to do their own repairs when they no longer can afford to be gouged by their local mechanic. As for jobs that depend on taxes or monopolies to float them, like utilities or sanitation, guess what, if people cant afford the power, or there isnt enough revenue to pay enough taxes, Mr. Garbage Man is unemployed.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM

For instance...in the trucking industry...you have the drivers, dispatchers, load planners, brokerage dealers, secretaries, recruiters, safety managers ect ect.

But the bottom line is freight...the movement of produce and goods...and that is done by truckers...without the drivers moving the freight...all the other jobs are meaningless...it's the profit the truckers generate by delivering freight, that generates revenue so that everyone else can get paid...
In other words you could condence or consolidate 80% of the admin jobs or cushion jobs, and the company would still function, and save money actually....as long as the trucks role, everyone gets paid.
And that's what's happening...non essential jobs or title jobs are the first to go. As businesses or corporations begin to consolidate their operations they get rid of the non essentials first...

The actual labour or 'non degreed' jobs are the last to go, cause those workers are actually producing the 'product' or the 'commodity' that sells...

Consulting and or marketing firms that do business with corporations, again are non essential. And are the first to go, when companies start trying to streamline their bottom line.
During times of economic boom, all sorts of meaningless jobs are created.
Firms have money to spend, record profits, so in turn they create new titles to hire people.

The industries that will always be the most stable are those that deal with the basics...food, water, and shelter.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Funny, my Dad is a cross country trucker, and tells stories all the time of truckers just walking away from their trucks because there is no freight.

The fact is, there is nothing that is absolutely needed. Every single job can be axed. We do not need fast food workers, and they will go when discretionary income cannot support them, we do not need construction (construction was the hardest hit industry in this bust economy), we do not need electricians or auto mechanics. People will learn how to do their own repairs when they no longer can afford to be gouged by their local mechanic. As for jobs that depend on taxes or monopolies to float them, like utilities or sanitation, guess what, if people cant afford the power, or there isnt enough revenue to pay enough taxes, Mr. Garbage Man is unemployed.
Yes, but my point is the non essential jobs are the first to go.
And the essential jobs that actually deal in raw goods being transfered or built...are the ones that are most stable in a functioning society...

I'm not talking about a total melt down, mad max thunderdome scenerio...
I'm talking about within the perimeter of a working functioning society...
the non essential, sit at your desk, shuffle paper jobs, are the first to go, the first jobs eleminated by companies trying to streamline...

That's basic economics...

And as far as freight...Americans consume more than any other nation on the planet...the freight is always going to be there...whens the last time you been to a Wal-Mart that was empty?
What's happening is bigger stronger companies are simply out bidding smaller companies for freight. Their offering lower and lower rates, which is driving a lot of smaller trucking companies out of business...but the freights still there, the consumption is still there...just visit any port...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 AM

And as far as fast food, Americans love to eat, in times of joy or stress or pain...Americans love to eat...

Everytime I pass fast food joints, their always have business and custimors....I don't hear their industry suffering at all, cause they feed people...they give people 'life' or a Big Mac....

The stores have become smaller and more effeciant in how they do business...and I'm sure most who work there are non degreed...but they got plenty of job security...

Also, grocery stores...that stores and lines are still always packed...again...people need food, we need to eat, so that industry will always do well....food will always sell...
Even if you don't have money, the government will make sure you eat with food credit stamps....
And most of the jobs within Food Lion don't require masters degree...but yet those workers are thriving...
So again, this idea that non degreed people face hire unemployment...I don't think that's true...
I think it's easier to get a job if someone only has to pay you $15,000 a year verses paying you $60,000 cause you have a degree...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
IT employment would be much worse without the Permanent War Economy. Almost all of the IT jobs here require some form of security clearance.

That memo is pretty embarrassing for Wall Street and the uber-wealthy. Most have known for a long time that lax immigration policy and offshoring of labor were tools of class warfare. Because of the massive amount of insecurity and social instability that would be caused by letting the policies run unchecked, the government has had to run massive deficits over the last decade to keep workers placated.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, but my point is the non essential jobs are the first to go.
No they arent. When work dries up, the first people to go are on the line. Blue collar workers are essential to product production, and when there is no demand for production, they are axed. Construction companies laid off millions of hard hats, but I bet they kept their management teams, secretaries, and accountants. White collar people are essential to business function, and cannot just be cut (unless their jobs are duplicated or unneccessary), however, there is not a single blue collar worker neccessary when there is no work to be done.

Quote:
I'm not talking about a total melt down, mad max thunderdome scenerio...
I'm talking about within the perimeter of a working functioning society...
the non essential, sit at your desk, shuffle paper jobs, are the first to go, the first jobs eleminated by companies trying to streamline...
This is completely false, not only are blue collared workers suffering from far higher unemployment rates, and have been pretty much forever, but they are also always the highest percentage of layoffs in every down turn. Everyone knows the line gets the ax first nine times out of ten.

Quote:
That's basic economics...
No its not.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I think it's easier to get a job if someone only has to pay you $15,000 a year verses paying you $60,000 cause you have a degree...
Actually, many jobs that used to pay 15k to a high school drop out, are now paying that same 15k for a college grad.

Let me just talk about accounting. Twenty years ago, if you walked in to an average corporate accounting department, you may find one person with an accounting degree, and they were the boss. Most every other job was filled with high school grads or maybe associate degrees, or some post high school business training.

Now, its getting to be where a bachelors degree is a requirement to run AP, and you arent getting in to management without a masters degree and a CPA. The funny thing is, for most accounting positions (mainly all that dont require a CPA), the real wage is actually LOWER then it was 20 years ago. You figure that out.

In 15-20 years, it WILL require a bachelors degree to bag groceries for minimum wage. People who have no education will face 50% or more unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics