U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,188 posts, read 6,281,628 times

Advertisements

I found this article today and thought I'd share it here :

AlterNet: Michael Lewis Takes Us Face to Face with the Investors Who Cashed in on the Financial Collapse (http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/146056 - broken link)

Here's a brief snippet from the article:

In The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine, Michael Lewis adds to his impressive collection of beautifully written books with a fascinating tale about professional investors who foresaw the financial debacle - and profited from it. In presenting a quirky array of smart, self-serving characters, Lewis intends to help fans of his storytelling understand what went wrong with American capitalism in the early 21st century.

The stars of The Big Short, whom Lewis describes with meticulous detail, definitely see beyond the curve and around the bend. Contrarians, they bet against the real estate market and the very companies that the U.S. government so expensively bailed out in 2008 and 2009. They even wonder aloud about whether the pillars of American finance committed crimes as well as technical errors and moral outrages by peddling financial instruments -- designed to "hide the risk by complicating it," Lewis smartly says -- that seem destined, sooner or later, to fail miserably.

All I can say is "I TOTALLY AGREE" with what is written in the article !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

14,256 posts, read 16,241,674 times
I cashed in .... but not by foresight. Rather, when the markets hit the low in February & March, I had enough cash to come back in and make some real money. My judgement was that the markets had panicked, that prices had gone too low and that they would come back in time. Good companies like SanDisk and Hartford Financial services were ridiculously undervalued compared to their book value. It was the finest opportunity for value investing I have ever seen and I made the most of it.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,674,819 times
He was on 60 Minutes the other night. Very interesting! They also had the Aspergers guy on there - Dr. Michael Burry on there. He apparently is in the book.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,706,255 times
i think this is a very astute observation:

Talented individuals pursue narrow self-interest and collectively create forces that unleash a whirlwind of trouble for total strangers.

of course, i would add "through fraudulent methods" in the middle for a lot of them.

this country will NEVER be alright until the fraud is dealt with.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,414,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I cashed in .... but not by foresight. Rather, when the markets hit the low in February & March, I had enough cash to come back in and make some real money. My judgement was that the markets had panicked, that prices had gone too low and that they would come back in time. Good companies like SanDisk and Hartford Financial services were ridiculously undervalued compared to their book value. It was the finest opportunity for value investing I have ever seen and I made the most of it.

You actually could have quadrupled your money investing in C or BAC. I had no money to put in to the market at the time, but I would tell anyone who would listen to snap up C and BAC in January and February last year. Now C is sitting at 4.10 and was .97 in March 09, and has been a volume leader nearly every day.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 PM

3,687 posts, read 4,553,329 times
I'm with Jaggy - I bought C, BAC and GE in the first half of last year and made a lot of money. (I'm still holding BAC, because I really think that they're going to keep getting better.) I wish I had had more cash to jump in with, as vastly undervalued companies were EVERYWHERE at the time. As Warren Buffett says, "When it's raining gold, looks for buckets, not thimbles."

Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 PM

5,748 posts, read 11,176,207 times
Michael Burry is brilliant! Amazing that he had such foresight and positioned himself to take advantage, although I don't think he was the only person to sense something was not right in the early 2000's. 60 minutes did a nice feature story about this topic last week, and there's an hour-long interview on NPR with Lewis. Worth checking out.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-17-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM

167 posts, read 142,625 times
The real question is what do you do now folks?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,188 posts, read 6,281,628 times
Red face HUH????! Is anybody actually READING the article PRIOR to posting?

Just curious since the responses DON'T reflect as such !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatches View Post
The real question is what do you do now folks?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM

5,748 posts, read 11,176,207 times
Excuse me? I referred to Michael Burry, a hedge fund manager who is profiled in The Big Short, and then I referred to two other stories about Lewis in the media. I think that reflects at least a modicum of knowledge about the topic you introduced. Where exactly did you want the conversation to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics