Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
This part is vague. How does one create handicapped spots "as they are needed and in such a way to accommodate the particulars of that handicap person"? Can you give an example?
Sure. No handicap then all spots are unmarked and available to everyone.

Handicap person joins company..pick a parking spot closest to the building for easy access and have a painter come and mark the spot. If they need wheelchair access..take 2 spots over. It can be as simple as that.

Fulfill the obligation as needed.

Today you have to have x number of spots already marked and designed for wheelchair access regardless if you need them or not with x being a ratio based on your total number of spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
So sorry to hear that collegeguy. Now let me preface by saying I am all for equal opportunity for handicapped people and yes, some changes have to occur at a business that hires them based on the particular handicap.

But, the government IMHO has gone overboard with the regulations and mandates a business must adhere to. And it is an expensive cost for a company to comply with. Some of the mandates are just plain stupid.
And they can't object to them or modify to suit their particular needs.

Two glaring examples:
Vending machines have braille on the keypad selection. Good for the vending machine companies. But that is it. So a blind person can find A-3 but they don't know what is in slot A-3 nor do they know the price as that's done by visually looking at what is in the machine. That one has always stumped me and I even asked a vending machine guy one time while he was filling up the machine. He just said they had to.
Braille has it's place..elevators, building directories, but vending machines where it doesn't mean squat ?

Handicap parking - I'm not referring to retail or public buildings here but private parking. There has to be so many handicap spots yet if there are no handicap people there those spots sit empty. It can be done better..only create those handicap spots as they are needed and in such a way to accommodate the particulars of that handicap person.

The government made these general broad sweeping rules and all must comply without regard to the particulars. And some are very expensive to implement if a handicap person is hired. The bigger corporations can absorb this cost but the smaller ones can't. They already have to provide the general accessibility mandates but there's more once a handicap person is hired.

Again, I'm all for equal opportunity and I do believe adjustments should be made to accommodate handicap people in the work environment but the mandates define a rigid set of rules and regulations that just scare many employers from hiring.

A blind person, a deaf person, one in a wheelchair, one with canes.
Each is different and has different needs..but government rules put them all in the same box and have rules that are broad so as to accommodate everyone at once.

I work for a big corporation and we do have handicapped employees and I have seen what the company has to go through to accommodate.
And if that person transfers to another dept on another floor it starts all over again on that new floor..even if the handicap person doesn't needs those particular changes.
I'm sorry but the arrogance due to ignorance in this post is just to much!

I'm handicapped and get so damn tired of the fully abled people whining when the don't understand the reasons for all the handicapped rules. These people deserve to spend one full year as a handicap to come to a real day to day understanding what it's like to BE handicapped in a fully abled world.

Damn@#@!!##$$ ..................

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure. No handicap then all spots are unmarked and available to everyone.

Handicap person joins company..pick a parking spot closest to the building for easy access and have a painter come and mark the spot. If they need wheelchair access..take 2 spots over. It can be as simple as that.

Fulfill the obligation as needed.

Today you have to have x number of spots already marked and designed for wheelchair access regardless if you need them or not with x being a ratio based on your total number of spots.
Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I'm sorry but the arrogance due to ignorance in this post is just to much!

I'm handicapped and get so damn tired of the fully abled people whining when the don't understand the reasons for all the handicapped rules. These people deserve to spend one full year as a handicap to come to a real day to day understanding what it's like to BE handicapped in a fully abled world.

Damn@#@!!##$$ ..................
I wasn't being arrogant. It's expensive for a company to become fully accessible. I was replying to collegeguy's post where he says it's very hard to get hired having a handicap.

I did preface my post knowing full well it wouldn't sit well with some. But I have seen what has to be done to a work environment to accomodate; some of it is rather expensive. Big corporations can absorb the cost but smaller ones probably cannot.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wasn't being arrogant. It's expensive for a company to become fully accessible. I was replying to collegeguy's post where he says it's very hard to get hired having a handicap.

I did preface my post knowing full well it wouldn't sit well with some. But I have seen what has to be done to a work environment to accomodate; some of it is rather expensive. Big corporations can absorb the cost but smaller ones probably cannot.
Please re-read my post. I took out your name so that the quote was generic to my response.

As a handicapped person I can tell all that it makes no difference in a handicapped persons life what size the business is since being handicapped is a 24/7/365 life. So this comes down to is a handicapped person some how less of person than a fully abled person? Hell, NO they are not!@!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics