U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,624,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Shorting commercial real estate would be one option. Going long GS, C, BoA, WF, etc would be another. If you believe what you posted. And anyone who believes that the economy is getting ready to take another huge hit should be sitting on safe investments ready to swoop in and capitalize on the situation. Buying Citibank at a buck a share 1 year ago would have resulted in a 400% return.

Many wise people have made a fortune taking advantage of turmoil and betting on their beliefs. But, you have to be solvent and for most people that only comes from disciplined investing and careful planning. And that leads to having liquid assets for when opportunity knocks.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't take the point of view that everything is beyond my control and that any effort is futile.
The point of this topic is not whether or not an individual can profit from the turmoil, there are always some who can profit from the misfortune of the many, the point is to be aware that the country as a whole is going in the wrong direction. We have relegated our responsibilities as citizens to slimy corrupt politicians who sell themselves to whatever corporate interest that can ensure they have the means to be re-elected. We want to believe in the fantasies of easy money, and that the government can solve all of our problems with out us ever having to pay the price of our folly. Make no mistake, the ever growing debt we have amassed will have to be paid, the question is will part of the payment be our freedoms.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM

188 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The point of this topic is not whether or not an individual can profit from the turmoil, there are always some who can profit from the misfortune of the many, the point is to be aware that the country as a whole is going in the wrong direction. We have relegated our responsibilities as citizens to slimy corrupt politicians who sell themselves to whatever corporate interest that can ensure they have the means to be re-elected. We want to believe in the fantasies of easy money, and that the government can solve all of our problems with out us ever having to pay the price of our folly. Make no mistake, the ever growing debt we have amassed will have to be paid, the question is will part of the payment be our freedoms.
I think the point is you can turn a negative into a positive. The great thing about the free market system is ANYBODY can become involved. Take $20 and buy a couple shares of a company you think will profit from this (or short commercial real-estate for that matter). You don't need millions to make money off something that you feel is almost guaranteed to happen.

I believe in everything that has been said so far in this post. Inflation is going to substantially pass the rates we saw in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm not sweating it though, I'm preparing to profit from it, as any American with money sitting in a savings or checking account could do as well. I'm not all doom and gloom though. Eventually things will turn around. The resolve of the American people will make sure of that. Although we are headed for a deeper recession currently, eventually things will bottom and cooler heads will prevail. We desperately need this correction to get back to the basics of saving and investing in profitable companies that create a product that benefits society (not designer clothes, or some fancy restaurant no one needs).

Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,677,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrfan2187 View Post
I think the point is you can turn a negative into a positive. The great thing about the free market system is ANYBODY can become involved. Take $20 and buy a couple shares of a company you think will profit from this (or short commercial real-estate for that matter). You don't need millions to make money off something that you feel is almost guaranteed to happen.

I believe in everything that has been said so far in this post. Inflation is going to substantially pass the rates we saw in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm not sweating it though, I'm preparing to profit from it, as any American with money sitting in a savings or checking account could do as well. I'm not all doom and gloom though. Eventually things will turn around. The resolve of the American people will make sure of that. Although we are headed for a deeper recession currently, eventually things will bottom and cooler heads will prevail. We desperately need this correction to get back to the basics of saving and investing in profitable companies that create a product that benefits society (not designer clothes, or some fancy restaurant no one needs).
you do understand that shorting hurts people?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM

188 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you do understand that shorting hurts people?
How does it hurt people? When done intelligently, shorting is done because somebody has done their research and believes a particular stock/industry is overpriced or overleveraged. It it wasn't overpriced/overleveraged there would be no reason to short it (unless a person was just flat guessing that it was going down, when they had no idea how to value or understand how that sector worked). If one random person shorts something and there is no basis behind it then that segment/company will continue to go up (so the person that shorted is the one that is hurt). 99% of the time when a large sum of people short a very specific industry/company it is because there is good reason for it to go down. It would have gone down with or without those shorts, it is just a way to profit from the inevitable.

Now, you can argue that once the bleeding starts shorting can cause these segments/companies to crash at an accelerated rate (because all of a sudden people that had no idea it was going to crash are jumping in on the action and trying to short as well). This will result in an overcorrection. But history has shown that an overcorrection occurs with every recession, it's human nature. When things are going good people are overly optimistic and when things are going bad they are overly pessimistic, when in reality things were never as good as they seemed or as bad as they seemed.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:07 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,624,039 times
Who is monitoring the idiots advertising here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics