U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM

13,670 posts, read 23,830,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
The company would not risk ‘shrinking’ the product (re-tooling costs, etc…) if there was no demand for that particular product. I disagree that the concept of Inflation is pure & simple as well.

Of course when inflation lingers on then the company can increase the size & brag to consumers that they’re getting 25% more for the same price. I call that: the way the economy works.
If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe The Washington Post?

Consumer Prices: The Grocery Shrink Ray - washingtonpost.com

Inflation means an increase in price, not an increase in goods. Your second paragraph leads me to believe you think it's the latter.

As inflation lingers on the cost of goods will go up, or rather the cost of goods per unit will go up. Whether or not they are still sold in the same packaging remains to be seen. However the past suggests that they will not be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

749 posts, read 1,004,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
actually I know two products that have been shrunk, next time at the store take a look. Cheez-its and fritos
I think you misunderstood me? I consider Cheez-its and fritos products' definitely in demand!

Let’s take a can of coffee. Years ago all companies ‘shrunk’ their coffee cans from 16oz. to 13oz. Even if the percentage of people drinking coffee stayed the same, the increase in population would have a ‘built in’ increase in demand. So, theoretically there’s minimal risk in ‘shrinking’ the can.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong but just to think about it. Notice that most of the CD posts are using food items as an example.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,681,353 times
i notice that i can't jam myself into size 3 pants now so i think that clothes are shrinking too.

Last edited by floridasandy; 04-19-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,453,888 times
I have noticed that the product packaging has been getting smaller over a period of time. This has been going on for a while now, but as soon as those gas prices shot up to $5.00 a gallon all the food prices shot up too. They have not declined. I have stopped buying a lot of prepackaged foods, except for condiments and rice and pasta. I buy the store brands (I only shop at Krogers, our best grocery store here). I have found that their products are just as good as name brands, or I buy on sale and stock up.
Honestly, it won't hurt us to cut back on serving size, but I don't like paying the same (or more) for less.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,661,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They just aren't doing it with prices... they are trying to be slick about it... Things are about half the size for the same price... anyone else notice this?

Yes, cans are alf full, chip bag too .

"Off the subject" Ever tried to fry potatos in the can, they will swink to almost nothing, we did it tonight for something fast to cook . These are not POTATOES !

Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

7,794 posts, read 17,546,289 times
HappyTexan wrote:
Food and gas and utilities are increasing.
Our paychecks are not.
No argument about line one, but while the line about the paychecks may be true in a general way, it does not apply across the board. After a 3.5 yr wage freeze I was recently granted a 23% raise. It's not all doom and gloom, at least in my world for the time being.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,394,523 times
That was a good washingtonpost article.

They said product changes can disguise shrinkage, like tropicana's "Easy pour lid" (which conceals that they decreased the amount by 7 oz).

-I think they're even craftier. The edges of containers get rounded. What does the inside of a bottle of Tide look like? I bet there's nothing in there. Even worst than a bag of potato chips with 1/2 hair.

-The candy is extremely crafty. I think they not only shrunk the size, but they shrunk the amount inside, plus they vaccum seal it, so when you're holding it at the market, it seems like a full bag. But when you open it, it's 40% full. That's just weird.

Same with the potato chips with graphics at the top of the bag that disguise the air inside, haha.

-Wth ice cream, I bet the inside of the container is rounded and not as full as older sizes. Similar with shampoo.

-Paper towels probably arent made as well, and are lighter. On top of less towels in a roll.

The trash bags in the article, 96 to 80, probably arent as made as well. So it's really like 70 bags that tear as easily as the old 96.

-Also, cereal boxes are thinner. Do you ever notice how thin they've gotten?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,944,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That happened years ago to coffee.
Along with the 12oz pound of bacon....

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,944,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
That was a good washingtonpost article.

They said product changes can disguise shrinkage, like tropicana's "Easy pour lid" (which conceals that they decreased the amount by 7 oz).

-I think they're even craftier. The edges of containers get rounded. What does the inside of a bottle of Tide look like? I bet there's nothing in there. Even worst than a bag of potato chips with 1/2 hair.

-The candy is extremely crafty. I think they not only shrunk the size, but they shrunk the amount inside, plus they vaccum seal it, so when you're holding it at the market, it seems like a full bag. But when you open it, it's 40% full. That's just weird.

Same with the potato chips with graphics at the top of the bag that disguise the air inside, haha.

-Wth ice cream, I bet the inside of the container is rounded and not as full as older sizes. Similar with shampoo.

-Paper towels probably arent made as well, and are lighter. On top of less towels in a roll.

The trash bags in the article, 96 to 80, probably arent as made as well. So it's really like 70 bags that tear as easily as the old 96.

-Also, cereal boxes are thinner. Do you ever notice how thin they've gotten?
"Even worst than a bag of potato chips with 1/2 hair."

Well I hope my potato chips aren't 1/2 hair...LOL

Old 05-08-2010, 05:05 AM

3,324 posts, read 4,318,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i notice that i can't jam myself into size 3 pants now so i think that clothes are shrinking too.
Floridasandy, I hate to tell you this, but.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics