U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM

337 posts, read 613,387 times

Advertisements

Day after Day I see people across the world treating others horribly!

It seems like every time I turn around the Government, Banks, Big Business are creating policies that punish people, or those policies are derived to take strict advantage of people.

This is happening so often now that even the small business owner are implementing similar policies, mostly cause they see big brother getting away w/ it, so it must be OK to do.

All without taking or thinking about the consequences and repercussions it has on the smaller folks, or even the rest of the world.

After all this Economy mess hit the fan, and we began to here just how corrupt things had become, or I guess it's better said, the corruption became publicly known. We started to learn how much money a select few were making off of all of the people of the U.S. and world for that matter.

I often lay awake at night wondering what is my Dollar sign, or my #, the amount it would take for me to no longer care about how everyone else is living, and only care about me and mine, and screw everyone else.

I mean don't we all have a #? Surely all those fat cats that have put the screws to the world didn't start out that way right, like the lawyer that graduates from law school & is motivated to take on the world to right all the wrongs done, to fight the system when it goes astray, only to become part of the system he once hated so much.

Does anyone else feel this way, see what I'm seeing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM

25,953 posts, read 28,210,459 times
I see two threads about the same thing in 60 seconds //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ans-these.html and still don't understand what they have to do with the relationship forum?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,773,844 times
human society was always the same.

in the "good old days" of the 1950s (which it seems you are referring to), well yeah, there may have been a greater sense of community, but was this community spirit extended to blacks? women?

The good old days certainly were not perfect. even if today we value sex more or are at least far more open about it, the upside is that we make society comfortable for all.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I see two threads about the same thing in 60 seconds //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ans-these.html and still don't understand what they have to do with the relationship forum?
Do u feel relationships are only dating?

If u have time to comment how about making it contributory not so negative.

It's about how people "Relate" to one another that I think is relationship right?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 16,209,332 times
Corporations do not relate to people except in a very abstract way. They take decisions with only the vaguest idea of the long term consequences only to change directions once those consequences become apparent and, of course, once the damage has been done.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Do u feel relationships are only dating?

If u have time to comment how about making it contributory not so negative.

It's about how people "Relate" to one another that I think is relationship right?

No, it's is not just about dating and there's nothing negative, simple knowledge there were more appropriate forums for the broad brush stroke of business and corprations you are posting about and I see this is true.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
No, it's is not just about dating and there's nothing negative, simple knowledge there were more appropriate forums for the broad brush stroke of business and corprations you are posting about and I see this is true.
Man get a life. Thread Nazi

Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Man get a life. Thread Nazi
Interesting you would post this in your own thread about Humanity beginning with, "Day after Day I see people across the world treating others horribly" and another thread on people treating each other badly, "I lived up & down the entire east coast over the past handful of years, and I noticed something very sad, people today appear less friendly than when I was growing up." Tad bit of a hypocrite aren't we?

I have not said one thing personally mean to you, did anything to you, nor attacked your thread and yet you quickly spew venom, my my, ...and then you wonder why?

To contribute to your question, with your own behavior - it starts at home - in the mirror.

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-18-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,170,414 times
Actually, this is a pretty decent example of why people don't really care as much about others any more. People want others to be "nice" as long as it benefits them...lenient on lending, forgive late payments, look out for that one person. Even if that being nice to the person would harm the business they are asking it from, who must answer to paying its employees, stock holders, and their families.

However, once it no longer benefits them (or god forbid a person questions them) the gloves come off and the person forgets all the things they said about people being nice and go berserk. No one would "be nice" themselves if it meant they had to take a pay cut, or their job might be cut, or their benefits would be cut...but it's fine if that being nice would only benefit them.

When people call for "Humanity", it is pretty easy to ignore when you know it's only "Humanity" that would benefit them and the people they care for.

They couldn't care less about what happens to the people they are asking it from.

"Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good."
- The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli, 1469 – 1527

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM

3,364 posts, read 4,078,597 times
Quote:
Day after Day I see people across the world treating others horribly!

It seems like every time I turn around the Government, Banks, Big Business are creating policies that punish people, or those policies are derived to take strict advantage of people.

This is happening so often now that even the small business owner are implementing similar policies, mostly cause they see big brother getting away w/ it, so it must be OK to do.

All without taking or thinking about the consequences and repercussions it has on the smaller folks, or even the rest of the world.

After all this Economy mess hit the fan, and we began to here just how corrupt things had become, or I guess it's better said, the corruption became publicly known. We started to learn how much money a select few were making off of all of the people of the U.S. and world for that matter.

I often lay awake at night wondering what is my Dollar sign, or my #, the amount it would take for me to no longer care about how everyone else is living, and only care about me and mine, and screw everyone else.

I mean don't we all have a #? Surely all those fat cats that have put the screws to the world didn't start out that way right, like the lawyer that graduates from law school & is motivated to take on the world to right all the wrongs done, to fight the system when it goes astray, only to become part of the system he once hated so much.

Does anyone else feel this way, see what I'm seeing?
How are all the things you describe so different as in the past when you read history and how people lived and took advantege of each other regardless of economic and socials systems?

You paint a picture as if the past was so different. At least that is how you come across with me.

Also, is it only those on top that do things. Why do stores have to put expensive security cameras? For fun? Who ends up paying for the money the spend on expensive security systems? The customers. Why? Because the honest and caring customer steals from stores just as they do each other. What we do? We complain about the story jacking up prices due to them spending so much money on guards, security tags, cameras, etc.

The government? They waste our taxes. They sure do. However, how much money they have to spend on hunting people for not paying taxes and the rest of the citizens having to pay for that?

In other words, WE are part of the problem. The problem is that since the big corporations, companies, banks, rich people, etc. are more visible, they are the easy target to blame for all our social perils. Also, since we are part of the masses we do not want to show how dishonest we also are. We do not talk about ourselves becuase of guilt I suppose.

In business there is a truism. The business does try to sell an items for as much as money as the customer is willing to pay for and the customer wants to pay the least if possible and if possible even try to get it free.

We complain how high prices are and how unfair they are. Have you ever seen a customer after he may comment how cheap something was and then tell the store owner "You know something, let me give you $5 back because it really it is worth more money"? Of course not. We only complain because we want things cheaper and if possible free. We expect the business to give in to what we want and your know something? They often do when we the customer not buy what they have.

My grandmother used to tell me that when I point the finger at someone to look at my own hand and notice there are three of my own fingers pointing back at me.

I am not saying there are not problems but I will say WE all are part of the problem in one form or another. I do not dwell so much about how others abuse me. I do whatever I need to do to get up and make my life better and happier and take care of my loved ones. I do not spend much of my time whinning about all those around me how they are abusing me or punishing me. I do not expect anyone to take care of me. I do that myself. My dad and mom taught me to not wait or expect anyone to take care of them. That advice has proven very valuable to me and helped me make it in life and in doing so making it easier to achieve my goals.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics