U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 AM

784 posts, read 2,582,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Typical arrogant attitude. You guys may be smart, but you'll still go to the grave having always been a bunch of *******s. And, by the way, if you're so F-ing smart, then why did a bunch of you asshats need a bunch of MY money to bail you out of your idiot bets? You're welcome, by the way.
Are you going to call me names or actually debate my points? You know you have no logical response. You sound like a teenage girl, who loses a logical argument and then calls her boyfriend an *******.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 05-01-2010 at 01:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 AM

15,091 posts, read 11,990,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Wah wah, call me names instead of debating my points. You know you have no logical response. Wall Street always wins. You sound like a teenage girl, who loses a logical argument and then calls her boyfriend an *******.

By the way, we already got our bonuses before the crash, it doesn't really matter. They were not tied to long-term performance. Without the bailout, not only does Wall Street shut down, but so does the American economy. That is why it was needed.
Here are two logical responses for you:

1. I know the bailout was necessary. The point is that you guys were obviously not all quite as smart as you thought you were since you needed to come to the rest of us "stupid" people in the country for an emergency handout when your magically AAA-rated securitized near-worthless crap deals blew up in your faces (gosh, who would have thought that party would ever end?). And not even a thank you card.

2. Me calling you out (and those who think like you) as an arrogant a-hole is a perfectly logical response based on what you said. I do believe you when you say that you're very smart; it's really no small feat to make a big pile of money, screw a bunch of people over in the fallout of your deals, take even more of their money, thumb your nose at them, and get away with it all - which you have done, admittedly. You won! You have the most toys and you got to stick it to all the other kids on the playground! Nice job looking out for Number One! So why don't you just go ahead and really own that badge of arrogant a-hole proudly - you've truly earned it, along with your short-term performance bonus.

Have fun with that..I'm sure you will.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,682,363 times
i think the problem here is that "wall street" is trying to have it both ways-they want to say that they are way more qualified /smarter than the average person while placing their bets, but when some of those bets fail (and they do) they go to the "average person" for replenishment to make MORE BETS! and then they have the wall street PR idiots claiming that they are just "doing god's work!", which certainly isn't helping them, or taking gigantic bonuses when the rest of america is being asked to make sacrifices ........

i think there wouldn't be this level of hostility to wall street if 1) they hadn't gotten the bailout, and 2) they stopped engaging in bad behavior, but they are STILL doing the same things!

can't we all agree that isn't a very good or STABLE system for our country and the welfare of our citizens?

don't think that this post is giving a pass to the government and the federal reserve for their part in this entire mess either! we all know with whom the ultimate responsibility lies now COUGHobamaCOUGH and COUGHbernankeCOUGH, and they aren't doing ANYTHING to fix the problem.

one more time with the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD8viQ_DhS4

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-01-2010 at 03:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Here are two logical responses for you:

1. I know the bailout was necessary. The point is that you guys were obviously not all quite as smart as you thought you were since you needed to come to the rest of us "stupid" people in the country for an emergency handout when your magically AAA-rated securitized near-worthless crap deals blew up in your faces (gosh, who would have thought that party would ever end?). And not even a thank you card.

2. Me calling you out (and those who think like you) as an arrogant a-hole is a perfectly logical response based on what you said. I do believe you when you say that you're very smart; it's really no small feat to make a big pile of money, screw a bunch of people over in the fallout of your deals, take even more of their money, thumb your nose at them, and get away with it all - which you have done, admittedly. You won! You have the most toys and you got to stick it to all the other kids on the playground! Nice job looking out for Number One! So why don't you just go ahead and really own that badge of arrogant a-hole proudly - you've truly earned it, along with your short-term performance bonus.

Have fun with that..I'm sure you will.
Actually, wrong again. Many of us knew in 2007 that the crap was going to blow up, even before the American public knew. Ever look at the historical treasury spot rate curve? Why do you think it inverted during that time?

Unfortunately for you, Wall Street got their bonuses and you got shafted. I earn $50K a year and I think I can afford a $500K house? The American public has to get real.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM

15,091 posts, read 11,990,946 times
Quote:
Actually, wrong again. Many of us knew in 2007 that the crap was going to blow up, even before the American public knew. Ever look at the historical treasury spot rate curve? Why do you think it inverted during that time?

Unfortunately for you, Wall Street got their bonuses and you got shafted. I earn $50K a year and I think I can afford a $500K house? The American public has to get real.
So you got your bonuses for knowingly securitizing crappy assets and passing them off as AAA filet mignon, figuring already back in 2007 that it all would blow up, but also figuring that you'd shaft the general public with the bill while you made off like bandits. The average American is financially stupid and made poor choices (after heavy encouragement, of course, from a lot of financially savvy people in banking and real estate); you smart guys, on the other hand, knew exactly what you were doing. So I guess that means my second point was spot on.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM

5,931 posts, read 5,609,323 times
Quote:
Let's face facts here - a business is started with one goal and one goal only in mind - MAKING MONEY.
How exactly a business is making money? Businesses get transfers of money that is already made elsewhere (few in America understands how new money are "made" and more importantly - who charges interest on the new money created out of thin air and even more importantly - why, for what contributions exactly interest in charged on the freshly created money?)

Old 05-01-2010, 11:05 PM

5,931 posts, read 5,609,323 times
Actually, Marx described cyclic nature of economic boom bust cycles including current one. To put it shortly - capitalists are destroying their customer base (i.e. workers) to maximize their profits = eventual bust of demand. So far government, bankers, unions and bleeding hearts liberals managed to soften cycles (using different tricks). However, it looks like that old tricks do not work and nobody came up with new ones. Even more importantly, traditional ways to mitigate ugly side of capitalism by stimulating demand of the alienated (from means of production) masses are about to hit the wall of resource and ecological constraints. That wall is a way more scary beast than crumbling financial pyramid bankers built to loan expropriated money back to the proles (in order to stimulate demand thus postponing the reckoning day).

Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 PM

3,388 posts, read 6,049,657 times
Quote:
Don't feel like going on reformed broker so I'll post it here:

Actually, no Joe Mainstreet. The fact that we graduated in the top 1% of our High School class, killed our SAT's, and went to top colleges is proof that we are very bright and can learn things extremely quickly - and that includes things like your job - and not only can we do your job, we can search for and eliminate inefficiencies, and do it better than you can.

From Wall Street to Ice Cream Truck Driver | Recession Ready America

That is right, Joe Mainstreet. We do just move it around. And without us, liquidity dries up, and you get nothing.

In summary, bring it on. We are not worried about you.
Sincerely,
Mr. Trader
Your arrogance will be your downfall; oh wait, it already was quite a few time before.

There was the bomb of 1920, then the Great Depression, then Black Monday, then 9/11, and currently it started in 08 and hasn't quite fixed itself.

You guys are not the only ones that were at the top of your classes, with great SAT/ACT scores either, so no need to get cocky thanks.

Oh, and FYI if it were not for us, you guys wouldn't have anything to move around, regardless of the liquidity, you can't move it, if it's not there in the first place.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
So you got your bonuses for knowingly securitizing crappy assets and passing them off as AAA filet mignon, figuring already back in 2007 that it all would blow up, but also figuring that you'd shaft the general public with the bill while you made off like bandits. The average American is financially stupid and made poor choices (after heavy encouragement, of course, from a lot of financially savvy people in banking and real estate); you smart guys, on the other hand, knew exactly what you were doing. So I guess that means my second point was spot on.
That's right. And we can still take your jobs, so we are not worried about Joe Mainstreet one bit. You can call us a-holes but I'll call the average Joe stupid. I'd rather be the former than the latter. Most Americans are idiots anyway.

And let's not forget the Average Joe who works his 40-hour workweek in a union job with no accountability, and a pension and guaranteed healthcare for life after 20 years. Like that's not hurting municipalities at all. If America wants to reform Wall Street, the unions have to go as well. Our bonuses go, so does your tax revenue and your paychecks, get that in your head Joe Six-Pack?

Our bonuses go, and Wall Street employees move somewhere that's more conducive to capitalism and business (Hong Kong / China / UAE). America, say goodbye to your spot as the #1 financial and economic power in the world. Sorry Joe Six-Pack, you want to move to China to suck on the government's teat? Welcome to the sweatshop, hope you can stay a while - you'll be able to know how to make a sneaker from scratch in less than 30 minutes!

Oh but you live in San Francisco, you already know how getting raped by the govt and paying 10% in Sales Tax feels. How would you like for that number to skyrocket? You seem to have this magical notion that calling us a-holes really hurts our feelings. I know that in San Fran, the land of sunshine and rainbows and lollipops it means something but here's a newsflash: We live in NYC, and many of us are subjected to this on a daily basis by bosses / clients. We do not care.

I know it's painful to grasp but that's what's going to happen if Obama has his way. Welcome to your new, globalized world. In the 1930s, D.C. could pass reforms on Wall Street and that's ok. They try to pull that stunt today and I'll start looking on Hong Kong Craigslist for apartments. I won't be the only one. Their highest taxation bracket is 20%. Very hard to beat.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 05-02-2010 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Your arrogance will be your downfall; oh wait, it already was quite a few time before.

There was the bomb of 1920, then the Great Depression, then Black Monday, then 9/11, and currently it started in 08 and hasn't quite fixed itself.

You guys are not the only ones that were at the top of your classes, with great SAT/ACT scores either, so no need to get cocky thanks.

Oh, and FYI if it were not for us, you guys wouldn't have anything to move around, regardless of the liquidity, you can't move it, if it's not there in the first place.
Yes, Wall Street alone caused 9/11. And Wall Street alone caused the Great Depression. Of course we cannot blame the idiot Average-Joe Americans who took on massive amounts of debt to speculate in equities. Sound familiar? Kind of like the idiot Average-Joe Americans of today who took on massive amounts of debt to speculate in the housing market? Is everyone who lives in a flyover state this stupid? Oh I hope not.

If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have anything to move around, regardless of the liquidity? Do you even know what liquidity is? Do you even know the context of my statement? Are you saying that you create money? Do you have a printing press in your house?

Of course nobody hates Wall Street when times are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics