Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times

Advertisements

new member here

first of all sorry for my english i will try to be as understantable i can.
I'm from Greece and thinks here is really bad!
The goverment is literally suck out the blood from us.
The plan was scheduled years ago,like 30 years ago,they wanted that the greek people will be in poverty.
They borrowed deliberately so much money,they knew that greece didnt have the sources to pay back
And don't think that this money went to the greek people
the people who govern this place have "eaten " BILLIONS!
one little exaple,last week published that the site of parliament has cost the goverment 2.500.000 euros!!!
So we are to the potition that the taxes for basic food like braid and milk is 23%!the basic salary is 530 euros!But for the members of the goverment the sallary is 5.000 euros without any cut off and many bonus!!only rage
unemployment has reached the max leavel!People with masters and Ph cant find jobs!
Italy and Spain have much more debt than greece but their goverment did agreed for IMF, only our goverment wanted desperetly to have IMF,because IMF DESTROYS financaly contries!!!
the prime minister of iceland had gone to jail because he accepted IMF!
Οne word is perfect for our govenment :CORRUPTION
Its really same from the country who is the mother of democrasy to be governed from these people!
Yesterday i saw in local news that one greek children in school has pass out because of starvation!!

the movie V for Vendetta is very relative this days!!!!

they want us to sturv so we can not think clear and be like robots,to have no willing to argu for nothing!!
the rich get richer and the poor poorer
dont think tha these will be only in my country
it will begin from here and it will go to all countries year by year!!

sorry again for my english!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos View Post
new member here

first of all sorry for my english i will try to be as understantable i can.
I'm from Greece and thinks here is really bad!
The goverment is literally suck out the blood from us.
The plan was scheduled years ago,like 30 years ago,they wanted that the greek people will be in poverty.
They borrowed deliberately so much money,they knew that greece didnt have the sources to pay back
And don't think that this money went to the greek people
the people who govern this place have "eaten " BILLIONS!
one little exaple,last week published that the site of parliament has cost the goverment 2.500.000 euros!!!
So we are to the potition that the taxes for basic food like braid and milk is 23%!the basic salary is 530 euros!But for the members of the goverment the sallary is 5.000 euros without any cut off and many bonus!!only rage
unemployment has reached the max leavel!People with masters and Ph cant find jobs!
Italy and Spain have much more debt than greece but their goverment did agreed for IMF, only our goverment wanted desperetly to have IMF,because IMF DESTROYS financaly contries!!!
the prime minister of iceland had gone to jail because he accepted IMF!
Οne word is perfect for our govenment :CORRUPTION
Its really same from the country who is the mother of democrasy to be governed from these people!
Yesterday i saw in local news that one greek children in school has pass out because of starvation!!

the movie V for Vendetta is very relative this days!!!!

they want us to sturv so we can not think clear and be like robots,to have no willing to argu for nothing!!
the rich get richer and the poor poorer
dont think tha these will be only in my country
it will begin from here and it will go to all countries year by year!!

sorry again for my english!
Welcome to the board, brother. It's interesting to get on the ground perspective from a Greek citizen.

I read about the Greek situation every 3 hours on all sorts of websites, simply to keep abreast of latest movements.

I keep wondering how someone can rack up debts that huge, when they aren't like America or Britain with a constant expenditure programme of defence and warfare.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

And V for Vendetta. I love Guy Fawkes. If they let me, I'll wear a GF mask

Something about the movie made me dislike it coz it was so real. Kind of like 1984.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos View Post
New member here

First of all sorry for my English, I will try to be as understantable I can.

I'm from Greece and I think here is really bad!
The goverment literally sucks out the blood from us.
The plan was scheduled years ago, like 30 years ago, they wanted that the Greek people will be in poverty.
They borrowed deliberately so much money, they knew that Greece didn't have the sources to pay back.

And don't think that this money went to the Greek people.
The people who govern this place have "eaten" BILLIONS!

One little example, last week published that the site of parliament has cost the goverment 2.500.000 euros!!!

So we are in the position that the taxes for basic food like bread and milk is 23%! The basic salary is 530 euros! But for the members of the goverment the salary is 5.000 euros without any cut off and many bonus!! Only rage

Unemployment has reached the max level! People with masters and PhD can't find jobs!

Italy and Spain have much more debt than Greece but their goverments did not agree with IMF, only our goverment wanted desperately to have IMF, because IMF financially DESTROYS countries!!!

The prime minister of Iceland had gone to jail because he accepted IMF!

Οne word is perfect for our govenment: CORRUPTION

It's really a shame for the country who is the mother of democracy to be governed by these people!

Yesterday I saw in local news that one Greek child in school passed out because of starvation!!

The movie V for Vendetta is very relevant these days!!!!

They want us to starve so we can not think clearly and be like robots, to have no will to argue for nothing!!

The rich get richer and the poor poorer.

Don't think that this will be only in my country.
It will begin from here and it will go to all countries year by year!!

Sorry again for my English!
Don't worry, you did fine.

I agree that the worst thing they did was go to the IMF for money in exchange for policy dictatorship.

The right policy would have been to drastically simplify and slash taxes to unleash the creative energies of Greek small entrepreneurs and businesses.

But, as you state, the Greek ruling classes themselves do not want a successful, competitive population, so the IMF policies suit their own needs.

And yes, it does seem that now even the US ruling classes no longer want a successful, competitive population on US soil.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Iceland is on someones list of happiest places but they are BANKRUPT. As unbelievable as it may seem the sun will still rise on Greece and the crops will still grow, even if the bankers don't get their gold coins. Once the 1% have more than half of everything it becomes their problem not ours.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I wonder if calling your government "corrupt" is just an excuse for the average person to continue doing what he wants to do. They hold elections in Greece. The people can vote a bad government out and elect a totally new government.

I hear people in this country call the government "corrupt" and than that becomes an excuse for why they shouldn't have to pay any more taxes to support Medicare or Social Security when the real problem is simply one of demographic changes and shifts that makes the present system untenable. If you live in a dictatorship, you can justifiably claim you have no power to fix the problems in your government. On the other hand, if you live in a Republic or "participatory Democracy" or whatever you want to call it than you do have at least some control over what goes on.

I'm sure there is blame to go around. However, average Greek citizens shouldn't be allowed to make the excuse that "it isn't their fault". Any of them, who evaded taxes, retired in their fifties on a state pension, got paid for fourteen months work for working twelve months, or even those who improved their standard of living after becoming a "Eurozone country" are part of the problem.

I honestly don't care at this point whether Greece pays its debts or defaults. The financial system can absorb that shock. However, if this country doesn't want to pay up than they can leave the Euro and go back to their own old currency, the Drachma. They'll learn quickly they can't afford to buy oil, electronics, or anything imported from abroad and their standard of living will slide back to Third World levels. Their choice, but once they've made their bed they can lie in it.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
and something important to add

greek citizens always wondered why the greek goverment do nothing about the billios of barrels of oil and natural gas(to explain how much it is,the experts says its enough for the hole world!!) that is Crete and below Aegean sea.
Anyone who tried to make excavations in this areas, for the national good ,was blocked from the goverment.Imagine how would be greece if we made use the rich of our grounds.
So the time came and our country owes a lot of money,
the pressoure from Ιmf and germany gets bigger and bigger and the only ones who is paying the bill is(again) poor people.
Our anti-hellenic prime minister wants to give as a deposit guarantee for loans Greek territories...Wow and guess what???the past 2-3 month the greek goverment and greek media() finds out with suprise that it is possible that below our grounds may be gas and oil and in Chalkidiki gold...

the conclusion of this is that the Pie(gas,oil,etc) must be shared for the "big" countries and our political members of our country is part in this betrayal..

here is relevant video for:
Greece has 40 billion barrels of oil, and thousands of tons of Gold and Uranium - YouTube

Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Panath, how strong or fragile is the Greek govt? I ask becoz the news reports are so misleading. One day it's strength, the other day it's turmoil. This government needs to be above water, if any austerity measure is to be effectively enforced. If it collapses, there will be riots in the streets and it would trigger a cascading effect across Euro zone and the financial markets.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It IS the same path the US is on!

California's debt makes Greece's look like a small checkbook miscalculation. Americans have no idea what will hit the fan when CA, MI, NY, NJ, FL, and the rest of the "broke 33" reach the end of their credit limits. Of course, they will all be bailed out. Of course, we will have hyperinflation from all the printing press $$$ needed to do so.

Got gold?
If you want a different path then try increasing wages fare enough to cover our expenditures. Freeze the size of government then have inflation.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What is happening in Greece is systematic of what is now happening in Bond markets worldwide. Within 3-5 years we will be suffering from the repercussions of our own insolvency.
Probably sooner.

What happens when the Fed buys a lot of T-bills in a short amount of time to keep them from falling through the floor? $100 dollars a gallon of gas at the pump sounds like a likely outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics