Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO he is a true believer of/in gold. A shill I would imagine to be less honest.
I don't think Paul is at all honest. He's for what's good for him and nobody else. If you look at all of his political record via The Congressional Record (ie, all his actions of record) not just his votes on certain things or the claims of his supporters, he's got a trail of calculated deception intended to make him look like he did certain things, but behind the scenes, he did just the opposite of what he claimed. For example, he bragged he never voted for an ear-mark, which is true as far as voting for the bills that contained ear-marks (ear-marks are pork barrel projects requested by members of Congress). However, he requested plenty of ear-marks in those very bills he voted against, knowing that other members would vote for their own projects, so he didn't have to. IMO, he's less honest than most politicians.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:08 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I don't think Paul is at all honest. He's for what's good for him and nobody else. If you look at all of his political record via The Congressional Record (ie, all his actions of record) not just his votes on certain things or the claims of his supporters, he's got a trail of calculated deception intended to make him look like he did certain things, but behind the scenes, he did just the opposite of what he claimed. For example, he bragged he never voted for an ear-mark, which is true as far as voting for the bills that contained ear-marks (ear-marks are pork barrel projects requested by members of Congress). However, he requested plenty of ear-marks in those very bills he voted against, knowing that other members would vote for their own projects, so he didn't have to. IMO, he's less honest than most politicians.
Libertarians are odd ducks. But I don't see them as typical shills benefiting in some grand way for themselves.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
I don't think Paul is at all honest. He's for what's good for him and nobody else.
Yep, also when you look at where his wealth is invested.

Gotta love a dude who throws most of his cash into funds related to gold and silver mining while constantly campaigning to bring back the gold standard. He also had money in equity bear funds back in 2012, I'm sure he's managed a great return there over the past few years.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Gotta love a dude who throws most of his cash into funds related to gold and silver mining while constantly campaigning to bring back the gold standard. He also had money in equity bear funds back in 2012, I'm sure he's managed a great return there over the past few years.
What is dishonest about anyone investing in what they believe in?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I dont like Ron Paul and disagree with him completely on economics.

However, I do think that he is an honest guy trying to do the right thing. He apparently believed what he was talking about because he lost his shirt investing in commodities in recent years.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:09 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
What is dishonest about anyone investing in what they believe in?
I think that what lieqiang meant was that Paul was advocating for a return to the gold standard as a member of Congress and running for the Republican presidential nomination while being heavily invested in gold and silver mining/production stocks. That's really questionable ethics since returning to the idea of tying currency to gold is something that's advocated by few, if any, modern economists. It's only sightly different from a politician who gets huge campaign contributions from a particular industry lobbyist fighting to get bills "friendly" to that industry passed into law IMO. Both are looking to profit from their efforts without regard to the good of the country or their constituents.

PS: Paul has been predicting the demise of the current US economic system through "hyperinflation" for almost two decades now despite the fact that in the last decade, the biggest threat has been the potential for deflation not excessive inflation. That's a fact that's borne out by just about any economic measure one uses. If Paul is still pushing gold as a hedge against "hyperinflation" then he's either cynically attempting to con fools out of their money or he's just another old man who doesn't let reality intrude on his fantasy world.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I think that what lieqiang meant was that Paul was advocating for a return to the gold standard as a member of Congress and running for the Republican presidential nomination while being heavily invested in gold and silver mining/production stocks. That's really questionable ethics since returning to the idea of tying currency to gold is something that's advocated by few, if any, modern economists. It's only sightly different from a politician who gets huge campaign contributions from a particular industry lobbyist fighting to get bills "friendly" to that industry passed into law IMO. Both are looking to profit from their efforts without regard to the good of the country or their constituents.

PS: Paul has been predicting the demise of the current US economic system through "hyperinflation" for almost two decades now despite the fact that in the last decade, the biggest threat has been the potential for deflation not excessive inflation. That's a fact that's borne out by just about any economic measure one uses. If Paul is still pushing gold as a hedge against "hyperinflation" then he's either cynically attempting to con fools out of their money or he's just another old man who doesn't let reality intrude on his fantasy world.
I have long since been aware of all this. Economically speaking he is my antithesis. But he openly invests in what he believes in. Whereas some other pol might have some less disclosed investment when he or she is pushing for some seemingly unrelated policy, that in the end is supportive of their secret stash.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:30 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
before the world currency shifts away from the dollar, we should fire up all the printers and (on paper) pay off our debts)

or

here comes a depression

Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
before the world currency shifts away from the dollar, we should fire up all the printers and (on paper) pay off our debts)

or

here comes a depression
That will be slow coming and a long enough time for all to readjust their investments and holdings. IMO In a generation we and the world will all have huge potentials with investments based in China, the yuan and yuan based investments and paper. The economic and investment world will then be large enough to accommodate both the USD and yuan.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:12 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The Great Orator WJ Bryan warned us against the gold standard over a century ago.
Bryan's "Cross of Gold" Speech: Mesmerizing the Masses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics