U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,172,994 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing those are the Ohio Regulatory code citations for various statutes of limitations. I might go have a free 30 minute consultation with a lawyer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM

83 posts, read 147,883 times
Default How do I do it?

Hello all, I am a deadbeat and I don't want to pay my bills. Can you guys
help me get rich instead by suin' my debt collectors?? That would be
great. You guys are real pro's, I appreciate your help. Ok gotta go,
i am heading out to complain about interest rates..

THanks

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 PM

8,387 posts, read 6,001,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused1234 View Post
I am being contacted by a man claiming to be with a company called PACESTAR INTERNATIONAL he said if I do not set up a payment with him by 3 pm today I was going to be sued over a "debt" for $800 something with a cell phone company.
Threatening that you will be sued if you don't set up a payment with them by 3pm is a violation of the FDCPA. I sure hope you didn't do it.

Quote:
I asked him to mail me something so I would have some info to look at and he said he could not do that, that he could email me something so I let him and it is on a notepad that I could write up and send to anyone.
That's BS. Truthfully they do not have to send you anything if your request is not in writing, but for him to simply say he cannot is a lie.
If a debtor requests validation and the collector provides it, the info must come from the files of the original creditor. It cannot be a computer print out, a letter, a statement that is on the collectors own letterhead.

Quote:
I also called the cell phone company in question and they said there is a bill of $537.81 past due from 9/2006. That I could even come into the store to pay it instead of dealing with a collector.
If you defaulted in 2006 the the debt is past the collecting SOL. You can use federal statutes instead of state for a cell phone debt.

The federal statute is 2 years:
US CODE: Title 47,415. Limitations of actions

Quote:
The man from the PACESTAR INTERNATIONAL says his last name is one thing and women answering the phone said it is something else???What should I do? Please help
Collectors have "desk names", which are supposed to be registered. The name he probably gave you was his desk name and the woman you spoke with might be new, or an idiot, and didn't realize or know what his desk name is.

Okay, they called you and you requested validation, what exactly did they email to you? Was it something on the letterhead of the original creditor or just something that looks like it came from their own files?

Since they had just contacted you and you are still within the first 30 days, and what they emailed you sounds like it's just bogus info from their own files, I'd suggest that you properly request validation. Send the collector a letter requesting validation. Do not sign your name, only type your name or print your initials. Send it certified mail return receipt.
There are plenty validation request letter templates on the web that you can use for free. Just keep it a simple one, don't use the ones that ask them to provide info for everything under the sun. Be sure to include that you are requesting no contact be made from them to you by phone as it is inconvenient to you. That all future contact from them must be made by USPS. (be sure to use the word inconvenient)

Then, after you receive a response or after 35 days have passed from the date they sign the certified mail green card then send them a SOL letter, be sure to include the federal SOL statute.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 PM

8,387 posts, read 6,001,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander1 View Post
Hello all, I am a deadbeat and I don't want to pay my bills. Can you guys
help me get rich instead by suin' my debt collectors?? That would be
great. You guys are real pro's, I appreciate your help. Ok gotta go,
i am heading out to complain about interest rates..

THanks

Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 16,203,958 times
What is the best way to deal with constant calls to someone who does not live at your address (they maybe had the phone number before you)?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead31 View Post
[SIZE=3]Fair Debt Collection Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act provides the consumer with a wide range of protection. But the sad truth is many consumers no little about these laws. Debt collectors should know and in fact do know these laws and the limits placed on them as result of the above mention laws.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also federal law allows you to record telephone conversations along as you inform the caller that you are doing so and that you give them a chance to opt out of the call. In every instance thus far they have hung up refusing to continue.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In addition the law requires that every claim made by a debt collector be proven. That is the law requires the collector to provide on request either before any court action or in court that the debt is valid. They must produce signed documents, such as the credit card agreement, loan agreement or any signed document tying the consumer to the debt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If served by a sheriff or marshal with papers, file an answer and dispute the claim. If you answer in writing they can not get a judgment without a hearing. Go to court it, cost nothing for you to appear. Fight them!! Have them produce documents with your signature before the judge or magistrate. The debt collector wins 90 to 95 % of all claims in court by consumers failing to answer. They win by default. If they can not produce the documents, you win.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Send a Cease and Desist letter as allowed by law. Send it return receipt requested. Demand that they cease all calls and communication and demand proof of the debt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Most debts claimed by these bottom feeders are old debts that have been charged off by the creditor, are outside the statute of limitations or both. They buy up old data bases containing a list of debts, debt amounts and the name of the debtor. Hire a sleazebag local attorney to file court actions. The original paperwork is long lost, that is actual signed documents no longer exist. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Never agree to any settlement offer, keep a log of all calls with the date and time of the call. Get names!! Always if mailing any thing to them, mail return receipt requested making them sign for it. When possible record all telephone calls. Contact your Attorney General in your state. File a counter claim and seek damages against them for violating federal laws. Some fines are as high as $2500.00 per violation. Send letters to all credit reporting agencies disputing the claim. They are also subject to federal law and must report on your file that the claim is disputed. [/SIZE]
To Jarhead,

I was really impressed with your knowledge on credit card debt and debt collectors. Right now I'm in a major battle with debt collectors and your information has given me hope.
Could you tell me of any other places to look for more information on how to handle debt collectors and win the case.

Thank you

Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,440,292 times
In most cases these companies know eactly wehat they are doing and move operations and are really expensive to trackdown, Even if you were to win a judgenent you'll never see your money. I recommend you turn the informjation in to your attroney general. unless its a heck of alot of money ;no attorney will handle the case without upfront fees.We are talihng about over 100;000 recoery of which the lawyer will cost about 35,000.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM

3,364 posts, read 4,076,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
practices....

Please beware if a debt collector is calling you. Google the company and record the call. Many 3rd party collectors resort to major illegal actions to get info- you are NOT required by law to talk to ANYONE make them put it in writing. Hope this helps.

sunny
There are illegal tactics out there. However, I also see the other side. If anyone has not paid his/her debts, they are also legaly and morally wrong.

You agreed to pay your debt and it is not the fault of the lender to have to pay the price for you not paying.

This issue goes both ways, trusting each other to fullfill their end of the deal. They put money in your hand trusting you will pay.

Often enough if companies try whatever means to collect their money it means that that individual is defaulting on his side of the deal and not keeping his/her work of honor.

You have a great.

El Amigo

Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
Allied Interstate started calling my number asking for someone I never even heard of. Sometimes, after I told them there was no one by that name at my number they would simply call and hang up after I answered. I called them and asked them to stop calling my number. They said they didn't have my number in their database and asked me if I had any other numbers. I refused to give them any other numbers. After several days of asking them to stop calling I told them they would receive 100 calls for every time they continued to call me. I did that for a couple of days. Calling and hanging up, calling and repeating "Stop calling (xxx)xxx-xxxx", or simply calling and waiting for them to hang up. I did this 100 times for every time they called me after I asked them to stop. Within a couple days I didn't get any more calls. If everyone did this it might really get them to reconsider their tactics as their costs would rise.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 PM

5,409 posts, read 10,330,114 times
Or even simpler . . .

Nobody Pay Them Anything . . . and they would die a quick, and painful death.

They cannot do it without your money.

R.I.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics