Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

practices....

Please beware if a debt collector is calling you. Google the company and record the call. Many 3rd party collectors resort to major illegal actions to get info- you are NOT required by law to talk to ANYONE make them put it in writing. Hope this helps.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,129 times
Very good advice sunny. As you stated "you are NOT required to talk to anyone". The minute you talk to them you are basically screwed ( for a lack of a better word ).

Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 AM

Yes and they have 25 pages of complaints on the net and civil suits-

Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
If you find your getting calls from a 3rd party claiming they are collecting a debt the first thing you say should be "I am not familiar provide me with proof of the debt", this could be very old debt that was sold for pennies on the dollar. Some accounts can be sold time and time again.
What they hope folks don't know is the "Statute of limitations" on debt
here is a link where you can check by State
Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state
Never ever agree to any kind of payment or payment program and never confirm the debt , that starts the clock ticking again.
karla

Old 06-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Yep- thanks again karla. Consumers need proection from the imperialist corporate culture. Better Business Bureau is just a complaint taker- they have no lobbyist power to change laws.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Yep- thanks again karla. Consumers need proection from the imperialist corporate culture. Better Business Bureau is just a complaint taker- they have no lobbyist power to change laws.
lol sunny you can always "sic" me on them
Hello I am (fill in the blank) personal representative now would you like to discuss the FDCPA regs that you are violating

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times

I just won a settlement against unfair credit practices by one agency. Another is in the works.

The one agency violated 5 Federal statutes - a $1000 penalty per statute violation. The other violated 3. Another 3. All on the same debt, that was sold for pennies on the dollar. When they called, I saved their messages on my answering machine. That's what nailed the biggest violator. The other's, sometimes I talked with them. Never admiting to the debt, but acting afraid and nervous while talking to them - I let them put the final nails in their own coffins.

The debt had been paid per agreement a couple of years ago. And yet, 4 collection agencies called me on it. One selling to the other after not being able to collect. The last ones were reasonable. But I did have my attorney write them a letter which included the statement that if they sold my account to another agency, I would sue them.

My advice:

Don't delete the harassing voice mails.
Get everything in writing - they won't anyway - they work by verbal
harassment.
Keep a notebook by your phone, and take notes if/when you speak with someone.
Get their name.
Get their supervisors name.
Take down the date and time of the call. Take down their phone number and address.
Take notes on the verbage they're using to harass you with.
If they call you at work, inform them that this is your place of work, to end the phone calls there.
If they don't stop calling you at work, inform your supervisor. The company will take legal action against them.

Take all of this to an attorney.

The attorney will get a cut of your settlement, but it's well worth it to end the harassment.

The biggest offender started all their messages that there was a lawsuit against me in Chicago IL. I kept those voicemail messages - that nailed them good. I figured, if there's a lawsuit against me - I'm going to receive something in the mail from the courts - and I never did. They were bluffing and using that to threaten me. When I spoke with them on the phone, and they told me this, I asked them to repeat it - stupidly they did - I wrote it down word for word, got their name, the supervisors name, took the date and time of the call, got the name of the company and address of the company, and which debt they were calling about.

They settled with me for 3 times the amount of the original amount they were harassing me about.

Don't let them bully you.

Never admit to the debt. Never. As another poster stated, that will only start the clock again on the debt collecting process.

Check your credit ratings. Go to DaveRamsey.com and get your debts paid off. Chop up your credit cards. I don't have any, haven't had any for years. I'll never have another one again, not after my ex-husband and his games of credit card hop-scotch. Live debt free, and enjoy not having that monkey on your back. Live simpler, but smarter.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Read this blog by an attorney who is going thru the nonsense with Allied Interstate and Focus Receivables:

http://creditsuit.org/credit.php/blog/C107/

blessings, Shen

Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 58,749 times
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal for a collection agency to put debts they say you owe on your credit report before you have been informed they have obtained your account from the origional creditor? I ran into this I was checking my credit report and found 3 accounts listed under statewide credit that I owed according to them before I received the letters from them about these bills..

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 51,741 times
Default 614-333-8408

Help. I am getting harrassed by this number. They call me all the time and when I answer, they hand up. Finally, I called them back and they asked for my number that I had received the call on, they said that they didnt have it in there files, that there was no way for them to take me off of the list. How do I get them to stop calling me when they say they dont have my phone number?? Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics