U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 PM

127 posts, read 203,904 times

Advertisements

Hey - not a problem. We can just print more money, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,536,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
No, Disability - SSDI, SSI - became the new welfare a few years ago.
Would not be surprised. It's amazing how many "disabled" or "handicapped" people I have met in recent times that are singing and dancing along and look and act completely normal. To me disabled is someone that is significantly impaired in some way that affects their daily life in a major way. The way the system is is being abused right now is a bit mocking to those people really hurting.

I'll never forget the army captain I used to know that got disability due to playing basketball all day. He never really did any work, just played basketball with his troops, which is why the army booted him as a captain, but yet got lifelong(apparently) disability for his basketball injuries.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 PM

13 posts, read 28,846 times
I was laid off in Dec. I got a few months of severence and have started consulting 10-25 hours per week. So I have yet to file unemployment.

I know a person on unemployment right now who has made an agreement w/ their current employer to not draw a paycheck now so that they could continue to draw their gov't unemployment check. They are simply stockpiling hours on the job until their unemployment benefits run out. At that time the employer has agreed to begin paying them their back pay along with their normal pay. The employer basically is getting to defer the expense of the employee until after their benefits run out. The employee is obviously getting to work the system and draw unemployment while earning a defered paycheck.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,446,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
No, you apparently failed Business 101, UE insurance, like SS & Medicare are part of what is known as the "loaded cost" of an employee.

Anyway, you're obviously a troll so don't know why I bother.
You bother because you think you are correct.

No, I didn't fail Business 101.....I ran a business instead. Items like SS and UE insurance are considered expenses. They are deducted from Gross Income. In order to increase Gross Income, the prices of goods or services is increased so that expenses can be paid. And yes, they are considered part of what is the cost of the employee.

That money to pay that expense must come from somewhere. It's paid with a company check, just like the rent is. No matter what you call it, it comes from the customer's pocket. The customer is the tax payer. The owner of the business does not just find the money stuffed in his matress at home. He raises prices. A business MUST show a profit to survive. Pretending that things like UE insurance and SS contrubutions don't count is the pathway to failure.

If a company can't afford to pay the TOTAL cost of an employee, it has three choices...don't hire more, fire a present employee or raise prices to the buyer.

The buyer....that's the customer....the tax payer.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,891,656 times
LMAO - well guess what honey - payroll is considered a deductible expense as well, therefore ALL payroll costs are expenses, but that wasn't the point of your little trolling OP was it?

This thread really doesn't belong in this forum.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:29 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,446,106 times
One more time I will try....But I don't think you will understand it.

Yes. Payroll is an expense.

Where does the money for the payroll come from?

It comes from the customer.....who is a taxpayer.

Any money that goes from one tax payer to another by way of the government is a type of welfare. If a company pays any kind of money to the government, and the government sends it to another person, you have some kind of welfare. You can call it by a different name, but it comes from one tax payer's pocket and to another.

You can head up the ledger sheet in a business with a lot of fancy names, but the bottom line is simply this....If the money doesn't come in, the business can't pay it out. It can't pay rent, buy inventory OR PAY SALARIES. It can borrow money, work on credit, but in the end, it has to have money to survive.

What part of that is so difficult?

Any money that goes from one person to another by way of the government is a form of welfare.

I am going to stop with this. I don't think that money falls from the sky. I think it comes from another person's pocket.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,891,656 times
In that case all tax breaks for business are also "welfare" - get a ^%$# clue already

Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,198,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In that case all tax breaks for business are also "welfare"
As is police and fire protection etc etc etc. In the broadest sense. If your customers use public roads or public transit to access your business....well then, we see where this is going.

I actually think the practice of having employers pay into UI is a good one. How many times have you seen a company move into an area and promise to create XXX jobs. Then they are given a handy-dandy tax abatement by the local gov't.

If not for the UI what's to stop them from hiring the agreed number of employees and then just letting them go in a few months? Off they skip into the sunset, taxpayers' dollars in hand.

Some still try to do this, except that cities and counties are getting wise and are initiating clawback clauses. Finally.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

2,592 posts, read 4,872,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
There is one such person Peter Schiff

Homepage | Peter Schiff for Senate 2010

yes, the guy can be a little bit radical at times but overall his policies are sound. He wants to cut big government, allow bad betting companies to fail and wants a strong currency.

I absoutely do not understand the American public when they keep re-electing miserable failures again and again and reject people with new approaches like Peter Schiff.
I'm a big supporter of Peter Schiff and also would put Ron Paul in the same camp. We need more representatives like them.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,066,120 times
I get so fed-up, with posters who have a problem with people collecting state, and/or federal aid! Unemployment benefits, are collected by those who become unemployed, through no fault of their own.

Besides, when the unemployed were working, they were paying into the Unemployment benefits system, through being taxed. To add insult to injury, the unemployed are taxed AGAIN, on the benefits that they collected, when it comes time to file their tax returns!

Welfare payments aren't enough for anybody to support themselves, and their families on. So it's not liked they're getting big bucks. And, not all Welfare receipients, are women of color who have lots of children. More whites are on Welfare, than people of color!

Those who collect Social Security, don't always need it. More than ever, seniors were doing well, before they retired. I know that there are many poor seniors, that desperately need their SS benefits. But those seniors who are affluent, still collect Soical Security benefits, regardless of need. And guess what, our tax dollars go to pay for Social Security, for many of these well-off seniors! But I don't see any of you getting upset about that!

So, the harsh judgements on those collecting Unemployment or Welfare payments, needs to stop. These people have fallen on hard times, and need a safety net to survive. Without Welfare and Unemployment benefits, many more people would be starving, and out in the streets, than there are now! And it's not their fault, that our economy is not providing enough jobs for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics