U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,668,363 times

Advertisements

No 'because unemployemnt will end at some point. There have always been people who work for months then draw it tho. It seems that they would learn the pattern of these people and cut them off.But then again they would just go on other entitlements that are also abused. There is always going to be people that scam the system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,536,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
The system needs changed not your relatives. It's obvious that what their doing is legal. Change the system so they can't do it. I myself am retired and would have never chosen to live that kinda life. But they obviously like the lifestyle of working 50% of their life. Who are you to tell them how to live their life? I would tell ya to "Get stuffed."
Who am I to tell them?

Very easy, when my dollars are in involved then yes I have a right to tell them.

If they choose to work, save up and then take sabbaticals on their own dime, fine by me.

I used to work 8 months of the year. I would work hard during the winter and summer seasons and then take time off in between to do what I wanted. But I wasn't coasting on unemployment or milking the system

The system by the way is us, not the government. It's us that funds the gubment and all these programs.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,298,898 times
Where the money come from is less important than the fact that these people are still paying the mortgage and buying gasoline and groceries. If the unemployment ends, or these people become completely underemployed, and stop paying the bills or buying groceries etc, the market clearing prices would drop through the floor. Extended unemployment is an attempt to maintain consumer prices in the face of a post speculative deflation. Long term unemployment payments are designed to help the big money boys and the fact that it helps people buy groceries is a side effect.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM

613 posts, read 891,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Who am I to tell them?

Very easy, when my dollars are in involved then yes I have a right to tell them.

If they choose to work, save up and then take sabbaticals on their own dime, fine by me.

I used to work 8 months of the year. I would work hard during the winter and summer seasons and then take time off in between to do what I wanted. But I wasn't coasting on unemployment or milking the system

The system by the way is us, not the government. It's us that funds the gubment and all these programs.
So your little bit of tax money gives you the right. Got ya. You give less than 1% of what they get, would still tell ya to go "stuff it".

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

5,410 posts, read 10,351,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Where the money come from is less important than the fact that these people are still paying the mortgage and buying gasoline and groceries. If the unemployment ends, or these people become completely underemployed, and stop paying the bills or buying groceries etc, the market clearing prices would drop through the floor. Extended unemployment is an attempt to maintain consumer prices in the face of a post speculative deflation. Long term unemployment payments are designed to help the big money boys and the fact that it helps people buy groceries is a side effect.
A+++++

But a lot of folks have a Really Hard Time laying back and looking at the picture, like this.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,536,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
So your little bit of tax money gives you the right. Got ya. You give less than 1% of what they get, would still tell ya to go "stuff it".
If it's on my dime, your dime, my friends dime, yeah I think we have the right to vote on where our money goes.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,049,166 times
Is Unemployment the new welfare?

My answer is Yes and NO.

YES it is WELFARE when the person receving it put down the unemployment system in the past as a welfare program and thought those getting it were lazy welfare people. They wanted it to be welfare to make them self feel good by having a job, but now that they are collecting, well its not welfare while they are collecting, only when others collect.
We know these types, blame everything on everyone until they are in those shoes. Suddenly what they said and preached applies to everyone but them.

They will start blaming governemnt programs, taxes, illegals, banks, unions, China, tree huggers, Islam, and anything else they can blame for the reaon they are collecting unemployment. They will never blame themself for collecting or call it welfare while they are collecting. But they will still accuse everyoen else who collects as being on welfare.

To them it's only Welfare when others collect. (P.S. they are the same ones who for years blamed governement for hindering business advancement and wanted governement out of the business lives. They stomped their little feet saying that there is too much regulations on business and governement needs to roll back regulations. But now, they are the first ones calling for governement to do something to make buinesses start hiring and stop hording the money. They want governement to step in and make bsuinesses start hiring. You know them, it's only bad when the others do it and never bad when they do it.)

NO it is NOT Welfare for those who worked and for no fault of their own, are the victims of the economy.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM

41,478 posts, read 54,298,898 times
Why should the source of the money make any difference? What does it matter if it is called Welfare, Unemployment insurance or dividend income? The important factor is the recipient did not spend any time earning the money but will spend every dime.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,090,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I know that there isn't an oversupply of jobs out there, but at what point does this become ridiculous especially for those people that do work and pay taxes. I know people who have no shame and are riding the unemployment benefits and will do so until they have no more. Then, they will finally look for a job. I know others who don't care if they are laid off because they can get money without working.

This sets up a bad system, just like welfare.
Yes, and several adult kids of friends are getting extended unemployment all while working for pay under the table.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,642,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So to you it is morally OK to take other peoples money, and be a leach on society, so long as you spend it and add some dollars to the GDP. In fact what limiting unemployment to the 26 weeks it was intended to be does, is force people who do not have marketable skills to accept the fact, and to accept employment at the level they are marketable at. There have been several articles lately concerning people who refuse to take lower paying jobs because they are receiving more by collecting unemployment. Sometimes life deals you a bad hand and you have to start over again. That’s just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics