U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,652,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
When the UE rate is hovering at between 4-5% which it traditionally is when we have "full employment" then yes, 26 weeks is and WAS sufficient to find new employment.

You need to pull your head out of wherever you keep it and look around you. MANY of the long term unemployed HAVE marketable skills, education and training, what they don't have is JOBS to utilise them.
We must have completely different definitions of what "marketable skills" means. A marketable skill is one for which there is reasonable demand, without demand for what your skill is its marketability is questionable. If you have gone 6 months without being able to find employment, I would say there is little demand for what you do, and it is time to look at alternatives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM

16,325 posts, read 14,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
A friend of mine just told me (he just recently retired with pension) that his company told him to apply for unemployment benefits. He told them he didn't need it, but they started sending him out unemployment checks. Basically when he started asking questions they got aggravated and just told him to take the money.
This does not make that much sense. He refused it and checks came ?

In order to receive you have to spend hours on the phone , answer over 40 questions , give you last places of employment , give your life history and if you have any vacation time coming , or ect. your benefits are delayed until a judication hearing and monetary determination.

Are you sure your friend was telling you everything ?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM

16,325 posts, read 14,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Any type of government subsidy/bailout is WELFARE, from unemployment insurance benefits to fortune 500 companies, same difference.

Hrmmm ...welfare usually can last a lifetime or until the crooks with the Escalades and gold chains with free housing get caught. They did nothing to earn this welfare , they merely applied for it.

Unemployment has a limitation of WEEKS and is only given after working qualifying quarters , meeting ALL 40 qualifying standards and when you find a job you receive no further .

Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,247,766 times
Unemployment = Welfare crazy...so crazy!!!1

Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,235,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
David Icke - "In April 1991 he announced on the BBC's Terry Wogan show that he was the son of God, and predicted that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes.[5] The show changed his life, turning him practically overnight from a respected household name into an object of ridicule.[6] He continued nevertheless to develop his ideas..." - Wikipedia
Please forgive me for responding to an older post:

I don't imagine that Icke is a Christian, far from it, and I didn't see the interview cited, but the "son of God" issue has come up in many instances, with the inferrence that anyone making that claim is insane, much like saying that you're Napoleon. In fact, however, any student of the Bible knows that Jesus said "you are all sons of God", and that He prophecied that earthquakes, calamities and so forth would come at the end of the age of man. As a believing Christian, I don't take issue with those prophecies, and gratefully accept the undeserved honor of being an adopted son of God. Over the years, many have mistakenly thought they had figured out the prophetic time of the end. Icke is not the first, and some day one of them may be right. Still, his presentation about shadowy powers pulling strings on presidential puppets and kings has a lot of validity to it. Illuminati? Rothschilds? Templars? Bilderbergers, etc. I don't have the scoop on any of that (above my pay grade...), but it's obvious that someone is putting whoever they want in office and it's not the people.

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-23-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics