U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,645,393 times
Reputation: 5180

Advertisements

Congress is now in the process of extending unemployment benefits until after the end of the year. Is unemployment becoming the new welfare? While it makes sense to have a program to help workers in times of unemployment, when is the time to end it? 2 years seems way too long. Many people are just going to accept the fact that the economy is not returning to where it was and either accept lower paying jobs or become retrained to do something else. The burden of unemployment and a food stamp program with nearly 40 million recipients in addition to 2 wars are driving up deficits at an alarming rate. Politicians are bankrupting the country to buy votes. It is time to stop throwing good money after bad and begin to do what is best for the country as a whole.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
 
5,410 posts, read 10,355,467 times
Reputation: 4493
Speaking of throwing money away . . . .

How 'bout we dump the Wars-Wars-Wars . . . . FIRST?

How many years has THAT nonsense been going on?

Talk about welfare.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
 
20,194 posts, read 21,584,223 times
Reputation: 9234
I see your point... and you are right, at some point it isn't unemployment any more, it becomes welfare and 2 years IS too long... the government should just tell people, its tough but you are no longer on unemployment, I suggest you collect welfare at this point...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,453,190 times
Reputation: 7393
Welfare... you mean taking money, by the way of taxes, out of my pocket and putting it in someone else's?

Anything you get from government is Welfare, no matter what you call it. So in the long run, unemployment is welfare from the first check to the last. It really doesn't matter. It came from tax money.

And, yes, I think Social Security is a form of welfare. When my husband retired in 1995, we got a printout of all that he had paid in. By the end of 8 months, he had received all of that amount back. That means that someone else has paid out enough in payroll tax to pay his way for about 15 years. If I hadn't earned my own check, we would get half of his amount as my share. If that isn't living in another person's wallet, I don't know what is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,388 posts, read 5,598,947 times
Reputation: 6325
What is in congress now, isn't what you think. It only extends the cutoff dates to get onto the tiers. It doesn't add additional weeks. 99 weeks is still the maximum that can be reached on unemployement, and in some states even less. What they are doing is allowing those that were laid off later, the same amount of weeks to get back on their feet as the people who were unemployed earlier, since the job market is still rough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
8,067 posts, read 11,868,249 times
Reputation: 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Congress is now in the process of extending unemployment benefits until after the end of the year. Is unemployment becoming the new welfare? While it makes sense to have a program to help workers in times of unemployment, when is the time to end it? 2 years seems way too long. Many people are just going to accept the fact that the economy is not returning to where it was and either accept lower paying jobs or become retrained to do something else. The burden of unemployment and a food stamp program with nearly 40 million recipients in addition to 2 wars are driving up deficits at an alarming rate. Politicians are bankrupting the country to buy votes. It is time to stop throwing good money after bad and begin to do what is best for the country as a whole.
Some one made a good point about wasteful wars.

But, I wonder, if it is demonstrated that - through the disastrous credit and housing policies of the past ten years or so, among other blunders like transportation policy (main reason for foreign oil wars) - the US economy has actually destroyed resources instead of adding value, wouldn't it have been better to focus on the country's agricultural prowess, build simple barracks for deadbeats, feed them, and keep them occupied with video games rather than to have wasted so many resources on energy-guzzling transportation and faux luxury housing to transport and house these same deadbeats for wasteful, make-work paper-pushing jobs?

A while ago they had bread and circus, maybe there was a good reason for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Sputnik Planitia
6,955 posts, read 9,734,643 times
Reputation: 7661
first, how about we stop giving money to the white collar criminals at Bank of America and Goldman Sachs. Then we will talk about cutting unemployment benefits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,645,393 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
What is in congress now, isn't what you think. It only extends the cutoff dates to get onto the tiers. It doesn't add additional weeks. 99 weeks is still the maximum that can be reached on unemployement, and in some states even less. What they are doing is allowing those that were laid off later, the same amount of weeks to get back on their feet as the people who were unemployed earlier, since the job market is still rough.
I am reading about petitions being submitted to Congress to implement a Tier 5 for unemployment. What then Tier 6, then 7? Don't get me wrong I am not against unemployment insurance. People and their employers pay into it and have a right to access it when it is needed, but to keep extending it on the taxpayers back for years because they do not want to accept employment at a lower level is wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
 
2,592 posts, read 4,874,415 times
Reputation: 1943
I know that there isn't an oversupply of jobs out there, but at what point does this become ridiculous especially for those people that do work and pay taxes. I know people who have no shame and are riding the unemployment benefits and will do so until they have no more. Then, they will finally look for a job. I know others who don't care if they are laid off because they can get money without working.

This sets up a bad system, just like welfare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,645,393 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
first, how about we stop giving money to the white collar criminals at Bank of America and Goldman Sachs. Then we will talk about cutting unemployment benefits.
I am not in favor of corporate welfare and have written posts about it. I am unclear though why someone would think one justified the other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top