Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:56 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times

Advertisements

This is what Globalization has done to England, is the same fate in store for America?

The Future Of America's Working Class | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
The future is... depressing.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Very intelligent commentary on the article page. Much better than the "get a better job maaan" or the "go back to school maaaann" mantra one usually sees on here.

The threat of "yobism" is very real in America. Americans have been conditioned for decades to believe in the inherent value of "attitude". There's no moral differentiation in the american labor psyche between exploitation and "being lazy" about one's inability or unwillingness to be exploited. Only in that idiot Tom Friedman's mind is the world so flat that workers are supposed to have such labor elasticity so as to reinvent themselves as a collective at the speed of a wall street trading supercomputer algorithm, and failure to do so automatically becomes an indictment of the "inherent lazyness and moral bankruptcy" of a labor group characterized by being the "have nots". Reagan dances in his grave in agreement with the global world being flat, but the shortsightedness of it all is that such callous dismissal for the working underclass (that DOES include degreed professionals, to include some in quantitative fields no less) creates a further "Colombianization" of America, where the top crust can no longer enjoy the social landscape they have outearned and outpaced their compatriots in order to afford selfishly. And American cities will then become Londons and Paris's of the world....silos of excess surrounded by rings of blight akin third world countries...google pictures of "favelas" in Brazil for a graphical depiction of it.

If that's the America the finger waggers want, knock yourself out, let self-righteousness drive you out of your own country.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This is what Globalization has done to England, is the same fate in store for America?

The Future Of America's Working Class | Newgeography.com

I hear a song sometimes about England " There is No England Anymore " on talk radio, I think the Kinks sang it . But I never hear all of it because the host comes on .

So according to the little bit I read on that site, whites are just lazy losers , while immigrants are hard working citizens ?

Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM

64 posts, read 208,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I hear a song sometimes about England " There is No England Anymore " on talk radio, I think the Kinks sang it . But I never hear all of it because the host comes on .

So according to the little bit I read on that site, whites are just lazy losers , while immigrants are hard working citizens ?

In the sweet old country where I come from
Nobody ever works
Yeah nothing gets done
We hang fire, we hang fire
You know marrying money is a full time job
I don't need the aggravation
I'm a lazy slob
I hang fire, I hang fire
Hang fire, put it on the wire
We've got nothing to eat
We got nowhere to work
Nothing to drink
We just lost our shirts
I'm on the dole
We ain't for hire
Say what the hell
Say what the hell, hang fire
Hang fire, hang fire, put it on the wire
Doo doo doo
Take a thousand dollars go have some fun
Put it all on at a hundred to one

Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticHomeland View Post
In the sweet old country where I come from
Nobody ever works
Yeah nothing gets done
We hang fire, we hang fire
You know marrying money is a full time job
I don't need the aggravation
I'm a lazy slob
I hang fire, I hang fire
Hang fire, put it on the wire
We've got nothing to eat
We got nowhere to work
Nothing to drink
We just lost our shirts
I'm on the dole
We ain't for hire
Say what the hell
Say what the hell, hang fire
Doo doo doo
Take a thousand dollars go have some fun
Put it all on at a hundred to one

I don't understand that song, is it about us or them ?

I know the article said 30% of whites worked while 70% of immigrants did .

I see this happening here full speed ahead ! Our dr.s , nurses and techs are being imported from India ,Korea , middle east . The few blue collar jobs we have are going to immigrants and foreign nation in many cases .

It's last one last piece of bread left and everyone will soon be fighting over it , so nobody wins . Immigrants will soon be living like they did before or worse ,imo , only this time there will be no Amerca to help build everything back up .

Last edited by Pappy&Me; 06-05-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 AM

64 posts, read 208,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I don't understand that song, is it about us or them ?

I think Keith and Mick were singing about Britain. My take is that the Who's 'Quadrophenia' also spoke about the unrest amongst British youth on a us vs. them wealth thing, but being a rebellious youth is not something contained to any one era.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Yeah, the underlying theme is that the immigrants are working their a$$es off to attain an ever decreasing standard of living, that is still higher than what they had in the home country, i.e a race to the bottom in England still beats living in Ethiopia. Whites on the other hand see no point in working harder to see a decreased standard of living, so they're effectively opting out. Are immigrants getting fifthly rich? According to the stats, no they're not. They're still socially marginalized. So maybe there's value in being a lazy white person, when the dream is dead.

Effectively globalization has collectively lowered the standard of living of the first world. The third world and second world are marginally better than before but still not good enough for white people to move to it in order to better their condition. It's a collective loss for everybody. Yeii globalization, you've dispossessed EVERYBODY....

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
It's a collective loss for everybody. Yeii globalization, you've dispossessed EVERYBODY....

It has been a "win" for the very top end and transnational corporations and banks -- all the same folks who brought it upon US.

Walmart, etc., Biggie Sized Banks, International Oil, et al.

You just maybe did not understand just Who and Why this was all for?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Yeah, the underlying theme is that the immigrants are working their a$$es off to attain an ever decreasing standard of living, that is still higher than what they had in the home country, i.e a race to the bottom in England still beats living in Ethiopia. Whites on the other hand see no point in working harder to see a decreased standard of living, so they're effectively opting out. Are immigrants getting fifthly rich? According to the stats, no they're not. They're still socially marginalized. So maybe there's value in being a lazy white person, when the dream is dead.

Effectively globalization has collectively lowered the standard of living of the first world. The third world and second world are marginally better than before but still not good enough for white people to move to it in order to better their condition. It's a collective loss for everybody. Yeii globalization, you've dispossessed EVERYBODY....
Well that puts some reason into why border control is a non issue.
Those that see it happening..are you adapting to this new way of living or are you planning to ? I know I am within the next 1-2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics