U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,032,586 times

Advertisements

I think it's hilarious how they call themselves business owners...it's like no, you're not and no I would feel ridiculous calling myself a business owner getting people to buy Amway crap lol.

I've had many friends get suckered into joining Amway and buying the "starter's package of crap" and trying to sell me on it. None of them do it anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,657,757 times
Chamataka... Since your post initially addressed business harrassment & this is the way you're experiencing it, it seems the focus has to be on getting out of these meetings in the most diplomatic of ways, in lieu of the fact that he's such a key individual to your project & you're trying not to upset the apple cart.

This sounds like a most uncomfortable spot to be in... have you thought of any workable way to get out of these meetings? Would the 'no time, working late' excuse work? I suppose there are a myriad of ways which come to mind... family obligation being in the forefront.

I was just wondering if this key player knew how you really felt & that these products/MLM aren't for you, if it would affect him negatively where your project would be in jeapordy? Perhaps he'd simply think you're decisive & know what's right for you, particularly since you gave it a shot & attended previous meetings.

Best of luck with your situation & keep us posted on what you decide as a solution.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM

5,423 posts, read 10,385,382 times
==================

Antlered --

Most of US types here would tell these clowns to get bent in the first minute and that would end it. But since you smile and look agreeable they are just going to keep going after you. Think of this like a drunk guy chasing a hot chick. If she does not stomp on his foot and smack him upside the head, he is going to keep going.

But maybe you can have some fun with them -- just start in on these wankers with the US religion version of Amway -- Joe's Witnesses, if you are familiar. But switch to something made up as fake Indian or just about anything Eastern/Asian. We do not know the difference. The more they sell you their line of crap, the more you can tell them The Wonders of The TRUE Path to Salvation via the 15 Toed Monkey God [TM], or whatever you might think is funny.

After a while they will get more tired of your crap than you are of theirs. On the other hand you may get some converts and can become a Guru of the 15 Toed Monkey God.

Have fun with the morons. Remember they were put here to give you something to laugh at.

Last edited by vter; 10-19-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: orphaned material

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM

60,033 posts, read 46,737,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's not door to door at all.

You run into these folks everywhere. The happy hours, the golf grounds and even the gym locker room, coz most of the Amway products are about nutrition. They have one million shakes, energy drinks and even tablets

And the corporate world is all about cronyism. You irritate one, you irritate his entire network.

Let me cut it straight to the chase. This person sits in a budget committee, which funds one of my project's budget every fiscal year. The wrongmost person to fall out of favour with.

The number one rule set by PMI on project management techniques: understand the dynamics and politics of the stakeholders

My father was a teacher and he had his own farming/agriculture business too. Though he made a fraction of what I make today, he had "total" control and was dependent on none.
I would document this as pushing this crap through work is generally HIGHLY frowned upon by HR. If something bad goes down later it would be nice to have in your hip pocket if passed over or otherwise shafted by this guy in favor of another employee that helped him make money in his private side-business.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM

464 posts, read 710,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would document this as pushing this crap through work is generally HIGHLY frowned upon by HR. If something bad goes down later it would be nice to have in your hip pocket if passed over or otherwise shafted by this guy in favor of another employee that helped him make money in his private side-business.
I once worked with someone who was using the company's email to conduct his MLM-type business. A separate investigation by our accounting department uncovered this individual was also using their corporate Blackberry for making non-business, MLM-related calls.

After the evidence was gathered and reviewed, our HR team placed him into an "accelerated career development mode".

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM

60,033 posts, read 46,737,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
I once worked with someone who was using the company's email to conduct his MLM-type business. A separate investigation by our accounting department uncovered this individual was also using their corporate Blackberry for making non-business, MLM-related calls.

After the evidence was gathered and reviewed, our HR team placed him into an "accelerated career development mode".
Yeah side-businesses are VERY risky when having a full time corporate job. Using your position of authority to influence co-workers to help you is way way way over the line.

Honestly, it's a 3rd rail type offense....like grabbing some gals butt.

The guy doing this sounds like they are utterly clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics