Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm in Colorado. $10/hr won't get you a house here, either. (Gotta have a barn for the horse,JK!) There is nowhere in this country where $10/hr ($20,000/yr) is enough income to buy a house. "Great Clips" is a haircutting chain. We have lots of them here in CO.

Great Clips - Haircuts & Styles, Hair Salon, Employment, Hair Cut (http://www.greatclips.com/index.html - broken link)

My kids are grown and doing fine, thank you. I did not choose a profession for them, a college or a major.
You did well for them! :O)
(Have they done well for you...grandkids??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
You did well for them! :O)
(Have they done well for you...grandkids??)
Not yet, neither is married (though not a requirement for grandkids)!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiana View Post
not yet, neither is married (though not a requirement for grandkids)!
)

Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
I'm in Colorado. $10/hr won't get you a house here, either. (Gotta have a barn for the horse,JK!) There is nowhere in this country where $10/hr ($20,000/yr) is enough income to buy a house. "Great Clips" is a haircutting chain. We have lots of them here in CO.

Great Clips - Haircuts & Styles, Hair Salon, Employment, Hair Cut (http://www.greatclips.com/index.html - broken link)

My kids are grown and doing fine, thank you. I did not choose a profession for them, a college or a major.
My sister makes $10/hour and has a house. It's not that unusual here.

Low income, low house price, low taxes, low services, low achievement!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
TMany of them, especially the ones who work for themselves, make more money than people with degrees. Think about how much you pay a plumber to come to your house, or the exterminator??!?! Seriously.
"
And if they are uneducated just think how easily it will leave their hands...

Quote:
Ugg. Hey, I have three graduate degrees, a law degree, an MBA in finance and investments and a teaching degree (I teach physics) and the last person I would want to hang around with would be someone who would only want to associate with me because I met "educational" requirements.
Well it works out then, because I find that people have MBAs, etc are rarely educated. Due to the poor education system having a degree is not even close to being a sufficient condition for being educated, there are tons of people with degrees that are no more educated than your average plumber. Furthermore, degrees are often very specialized and being an educated individual is about a lot more than having knowledge of one thing.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
There is nowhere in this country where $10/hr ($20,000/yr) is enough income to buy a house.
That's not true, there are many areas in the country where you can get a house in the $60~$80k range which would be affordable to someone making $20k/year.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
That's not true, there are many areas in the country where you can get a house in the $60~$80k range which would be affordable to someone making $20k/year.
The general rule of thumb is a mortgage 3X your income, e.g. $60,000 for a $20K income. With a down payment, you'd probably get a house of ~ $65-70K. Now you show me where in the US you can buy a single family house for that amount of money.

Keep in mind, my comment about making $10/hr at Great Clips was for here in the metro Denver area, where there's darn little in the way of sf houses under $200,000 and virutally none (that you would want to live in anyway) under $150K. In a lower COL area, it might be $8/hr or $16K/yr.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Now you show me where in the US you can buy a single family house for that amount of money.
Any state that I'm familiar with has areas where you can get houses for $60k. Sure they aren't the greatest areas, but they are also not horrible either. Someone making $20k/year is not going to be able to rent in a much better area.

Anyhow, there are ~600 houses for sale under $60k in Pittsburgh:

Pittsburgh real estate & Pittsburgh homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

There are ~1200 houses for sale under $60k in Cleveland:

Pittsburgh real estate & Pittsburgh homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

There are ~1300 houses for sale under $60k in Riverside (California):

Riverside real estate & Riverside homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

The list of areas is rather long, its odd that you even question it.

Quote:
Keep in mind, my comment about making $10/hr at Great Clips was for here in the metro Denver area, where there's darn little in the way of sf houses under $200,000 and virutally none
I don't know enough about the Denver area to comment either way on this, I just know your more general claim is incorrect.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Interesting. Maybe these are in undesirable areas. Some are condos, some are trailers, some are probably co-ops. They are all pretty small in terms of the space we have, but there were quite a few listings for under $60,000 here. They might also be short sales and foreclosures, of course.

Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale.

A few of these homes looked pretty nice in the pictures.

This one looked nice, for example
3426 South Locust Street, Denver CO 80222 | Homes.com

Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM

The "homes" in Riverside were mostly condos, a few tiny, single family houses. Interesting that you would choose Riverside, which is far inland from the coast.

RE: the condo in Denver, it is 40 yeasr old, and was probably a conversion from an apartment complex.

Of course you could find a 60K house in Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Pittsburgh in particular is known for its low housing prices b/c of the great exodus from the entire metro area in the 1980s.

You can cherry pick real estate sites and find a few homes for 60K, but surely you know that 60K is low, even for Pittsburgh:

Pittsburgh Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Since you formerly lived there humanoid, you know that these homes under 60K are not in the most desirable of neighborhoods.

Here is the map of Riverside. Only one area <130K.

Riverside Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Here's Denver's heat map:

One area <166K

Denver Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education