Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
The libraries in my area used to offer the free online version of Rosetta Stone. (Now, there's this Mango crap). I thought it was wonderful in terms learning to speak, however, it left gaps in the "whys" of some of the grammar. I've tried the demo of the regular version, and really liked it, but I can't see spending that much on it. There are other audio and/or audiovisual programs out there, some of which can be found free at the library. If I can find the time, it's also much cheaper to go to a local community college and take a language course, assuming the language is one offerred at the college.
The "gaps" are because Rosetta Stone aims to teach a language the same way that you learned your first language. At age 3, you wouldn't be saying, "now mommy, why is it I do, you do, but then he does and she does?" Because as adults we understand grammar (although most people do not understand the grammar structure of their first language as well as subsequently learned languages), we want to question this. To help with the Rosetta Stone program, grab a small grammar guide or dictionary to the selected language (usually $5 or less at Borders or BN). Also, make post-its of vocab or grammar and put them around your house so you associate the objects and actions with the new words.

But yes, Rosetta Stone really is a great way to learn a language, and if you think about the other options to learn : travel and spend time in the country where your language is spoken, or take classes at a local college, Rosetta Stone is MUCH cheaper.

And if it is WAY out of your price range, I have a 15-Minutes a day Chinese Program that was $19.99 at Borders and is really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,803 times
I was thinking about getting Fluenz when I can afford it.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,821 times
I think Rosetta Stone would be an awesome companion to a college or extension course.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
For how expensive it is, you also have to realise that the license agreement prohibits the buyer from onselling them after use (Which practice I personally find a little abhorrent but that's for another forum)

I'm currently comparing RS with Fluenz and on reading the reviews and the way the program is organised (along with the comment above) I'm definitely leaning towards the Fluenz.

Last edited by Opyelie; 06-28-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
I've tried numerous Rosetta Stone programs. I understand the reasoning for their particular approach, but I can't get fully absorbed into their curricula for reasons I can't fully explain. I've tried other programs like Rocket and Pimsleur and while none of them suck, none of them approach Fluenz in my opinion. This may just be personal preference, but I highly prefer a traditional classroom format for beginner-level language learning. Since that's not available to me, I went with what I think is the next best thing and bought Fluenz French 1 & 2. They just released level 3 and they've already started filming for level 4, so I'm afraid I'ma hafta whip out the debit card again.

Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews and ratings for Rosetta Stone, then compare that with Fluenz. Give Fluenz a try, there's a 99.9999% chance you'll like it!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Keep your expectations in check, as I've never, ever come across someone who learned using Rosetta Stone who could even carry a simple conversation in a foreign language. I don't know maybe that's not their claim, just saying that's a lot of money to spend to come away with some vocabulary in your head.

Save money and use one of the cheap/free online podcasts, there are excellent ones for almost every language with native speakers and good dialogs. Kinda like frenchpod.com, ww.learnitalianpod.com, etc.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Keep your expectations in check, as I've never, ever come across someone who learned using Rosetta Stone who could even carry a simple conversation in a foreign language. I don't know maybe that's not their claim, just saying that's a lot of money to spend to come away with some vocabulary in your head.

Save money and use one of the cheap/free online podcasts, there are excellent ones for almost every language with native speakers and good dialogs. Kinda like frenchpod.com, ww.learnitalianpod.com, etc.
Yes and Learn a language where and when it suits you | Radio Lingua Network looks to be a good one too. I met some folks from the states when I was traveling in Peru and they had used that and were doing better with the language than the rest of the tourists I met.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Seriously I know a guy who's been trying to learn Japanese via Rosetta Stone forever, and granted that's no simple language to master but I can't ask him how to say something like "is she 23 years old yet" without him fumbling around for 30 seconds and finally coming up with something that he thinks might be right.

I've actually seen people who did Pimsleur (like all 90 half hour lessons) who are pretty sharp at least for basic conversation, but again that's some serious bucks unless you go pirate route. I think for the cost of three 30 lesson Pimsleurs for Spanish you could move to Nicaragua for a few months and come out ahead.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
I recently purchased Instant Immersion Spanish levels 1,2 & 3 from Costco for $27.99. So far I am impressed with the program. It came with a cd that I can download to my ipod which I use. Costco carries Spanish, German, Italian and Chinese.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM

129 posts, read 250,306 times
there are download and torrent links out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education