Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,177,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Then you must hate life because even outside of a school envoronment and in every single facet you will find cheating, lying, backstabbing, etc.

And sometimes, yes, I think it's, if not OK, at least not worth getting worked up about. I won't go into detail but just know this...you have lied.Everyone has. Deal with your own guilt.
Please don't project your own character flaws onto me. I do not lie. Hell, when I was looking for a new job I told my current boss I would be out because I was interviewing. I would rather be a failure and honest than a cheat/liar and successful.

Not everyone is a scumbag. Please don't accuse me of being one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 PM

301 posts, read 802,516 times
I'm on my school's honor council and we discuss this all of the time.

Is their any consequence to cheating in an exam is you don't get caught (long term)?: Yes. There can be. If you cheat, it actually can hurt all of the other students, because it throws off any 'curve' that a teacher might set. You also might need that information later on for a higher course or in the real world.

Does being an honest student even pay off in the long run?: Unfortunately, it doesn't. I hate it, but it is true. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. That doesn't mean it is better to cheat... It is always better to be honest, but it might not get you where you want to be, because others cheat.

would you cheat if you had the opportunity? or would you fail and start over?. Easy way out (cowards)/ Hard way out (responsible)?: I've done both. And I hate that I ever cheated (long time ago... like seventh grade). I refuse to do it again. Failing is just better. You actually learn the material and if you do get an A, then you know that you deserve it.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
I bet those same people cehating then wander whythey don't progresss once they get out ;if they do not get caught.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:42 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,416,511 times
There will always be some subset of cheaters. You have to police for them as best as reasonably possible and nail their asses to the wall when you catch them. That's normal. But there is another way to good grades: hard work. If you study hard and have exemplary grades from good schools, coupled with other strong supplemental experiences, you will position yourself credibly for all kinds of great opportunities that the vast majority of the cheaters will never get.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 PM

412 posts, read 1,227,550 times
I teach at a community college and the amount of cheating is terrible! Unfortunately it is something that is hard to catch. I think these students are going to graduate and get a job and have no idea what they are doing.

I have a coworker who I think cheated his way through college because he doesn't know the subject he is teaching very well even though he has a master's degree. He is always asking me for worksheets, tests, etc and I am expected to give him my files b/c he is new. It pisses me off so much because I spend hours preparing lectures, worksheets, and exams. It doesn't seem to bother the other coworkers but I see right through him. But if I am a ****** to him, I will be seen as the jerk and I don't need any drama at work - I need my paycheck.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 PM

283 posts, read 457,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I teach at a community college and the amount of cheating is terrible! Unfortunately it is something that is hard to catch. I think these students are going to graduate and get a job and have no idea what they are doing.

I have a coworker who I think cheated his way through college because he doesn't know the subject he is teaching very well even though he has a master's degree. He is always asking me for worksheets, tests, etc and I am expected to give him my files b/c he is new. It pisses me off so much because I spend hours preparing lectures, worksheets, and exams. It doesn't seem to bother the other coworkers but I see right through him. But if I am a ****** to him, I will be seen as the jerk and I don't need any drama at work - I need my paycheck.
Wow even an adult teacher who has a master degree is that incompetent, sorry that unorganized that he/she need's to rely on others because he/she is new and he/she doesn't know the subject he/she is teaching. Looks like cheating really does make you look bad even if you don't get caught you still get to be humiliated like a teen in front of the class during an oral.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,670,697 times
I haven't read all the replies yet, so apologies if this duplicates anything. I've read that there has been an increase in cheating, and assume that some of this must stem from the world of high-stakes testing.

I've never cheated on a test, and wouldn't if I had the opportunity. Then again, I'm generally a good test taker, do well in school, and had no incentive to cheat. And as far as those who copy off of other people's work? How could you trust that they're doing it right? Maybe I'm arrogant, but I'd much rather depend on my own knowledge. Even in my weakest classes it didn't cross my mind to cheat, because what would be the point? Potentially a slightly higher test score and grade? Does that really matter in the long run? I don't think it does.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,226,632 times
thats kinda like shotgunning holes in the bottom of the boat to let the water out no?
but i get your point, they didnt kick them out of school for cheating. the problem is not cheating-- the problem is overly persmissive authority figures very concerned about getting sued.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 AM

45,090 posts, read 60,158,471 times
One thing that in my opinion has given a semi-green light to the uptick in cheating is cooperative learning. Kids get to high school never having had to complete an assignment on their own and they're lost. They've become used to the smart kid in the group doing the work.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,822,566 times
Cooperative learning has to be well-designed if it is to work well. It cannot be just putting the kids into groups and giving them an assignment. When it is well-designed, everyone in the group has a role and must contribute to the learning. Kids find out that Johnny (who that thought was dumb) is not dumb at all, but has something different to bring to the table. Of course, this should NOT be the only strategy used either. There is a place for individual work and a place for group work.

Instructional Strategies Online - Cooperative Learning

Five Basic Elements of Cooperative Learning
1. Positive Interdependence
2. Face-To-Face Interaction
3. Individual Accountability
4. Social Skills
5. Group Processing

The basic elements of cooperative learning can be considered essential to all interactive methods. Student groups are small, usually consisting of two to six members. Grouping is heterogeneous with respect to student characteristics. Group members share the various roles and are interdependent in achieving the group learning goal. While the academic task is of primary importance, students also learn the importance of maintaining group health and harmony, and respecting individual views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education