Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
How arrogant to assume that you..the parent...can teach your child better than someone that is trained to do as such.
I have the same type of degree as a teacher (not that I think it matters) yet I have one student and the teacher has 20-30. How is it arrogant to think that I can do a better job then the teacher with my own child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
If homeschooling worked, then public education would have never been started in the first place.How arrogant to assume that you..the parent...can teach your child better than someone that is trained to do as such.

Frankly,it appears that I'm not the only one who thinks so as homeschooling is more of a conceit than an actual movement. I wonder how parents think that their children are going fit into a society where they are in the minority?

Since they thought homeschooling was a GOOD idea in the first place, teh probably don't.
Since homeschooled students are in society day in and day out, I don't see how they would *not* fit in.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
School is about the only time in life you are stuck in a room several hours a day only with people your same age. To me, socialization is less productive in traditional school than it is in a GOOD homeschooling situation where a child has homeschool activities with kids of different ages and is out with a parent during a day seeing how to handle car appointments, go to the post office, argue with the plumber, take their grandma to the senior center, etc. LIFE socilaization skills. They can get peer time at scouts, sports, etc.

Educationally, it very much depends on the school/homeschool situation. A good homeschooling parent teaches to the method the child responds to best and challenges them. The best of public school teachers often feel frustrated because they cannot do just that.

Finally, in homeshcooling you can 'teach' productively and fully for about 3-4 hours a day and get done MORE than a teacher can in a full day. You have no roll call, recess, lining up, going to bathrooms in a line, etc....no wasted time. So, your child can persue scout badges, dance lessons, art classes, etc. and STILL have time for family time and chores as they do not have to do mindless homework teachers are forced to assign...whether a child needs it or not.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
I think it's a terrible idea. The point of going to school with other kids is not just to learn, but also how to socialize, something that cannot be taught. Human beings aren't robots!

I know one person who homeschooled her child out of laziness. The state was going to prosecute her for truancy... her son just didn't feel like going to school every day... so she pulled him out of school to "homeschool" him so that he could sleep in and play video games!

Another person (my biological mother who I have since disowned) told me "most white people homeschool their kids" (seriously, that is a direct quote).

I've read plenty of stories from people who homeschool their kids, and none of them have any good reason to do so. Honestly, I don't know why such a thing is legal.

People in poor countries would do anything for their kids to get an education! We are extremely fortunate in this country to have free education to the 12th grade. Why is homeschooling even allowed in this country? I just don't get it.

If you hate the public schools that much, then put your money where your mouth is and send your kids to a private school. Homeschooling is for lazy, cheap, and racist people!
Wow. Talk about blanket statements! What exactly is a "good" reason to you?

I've known many homeschool parents and they all have many different reasons. Some that I disagree with, but some that make perfect sense given a family situation. Being put in a room full of 30 kids (up to half of whom don't want to learn) may not be for everybody.

And most homeschool parents are far from lazy, cheap or racist. I'd do a little more research if I were you before posting rediculous posts.

Signed,

A public school teacher.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I can see both sides of this argument. I personally would have never attempted to teach my own kids. I think if I had, they still at 19 and 20 wouldn't be able to read!

I have known lots of people that have chosen to homeschool, and for the most part, they have been successful. Most of the families I've known have chosen to do so because of either religious reasons or because the school district they were living in was not great. One of the families had 6 kids, in a "not great" district. Private school was just too expensive for that many kids. At one point they did put one son into a tiny private high school. Shortly after, they were transferred to another city. We were transferred to the same place at the same time. They decided to put this son into the public high school in our new area. It was an excellent school but it was very large. I think he made it one year, but simply couldn't take it and went back to being home schooled. He was just not prepared to deal with the large crowds and the structure of the school. All six of their kids eventually went on to college, but they all chose very small private Christian Universities.

However, to the OP's comment on people doing so because they are cheap, that is not true. Home schooling is not cheap. They do have to buy all the curriculum, books, supplies etc. However, they can sometimes reuse some of it from kid to kid.

I currently have several neighbors that home school, mostly because of religious reasons. Some of them meet with other home schooling groups and share lessons, etc. Most of their kids seem well adjusted and well educated. I do have one set of neighbors that you can tell just do so out of laziness. These people are not doing so for religious reasons and we are in a very good school district. They don't want to have to deal with getting all 5 kids up and out of the house every morning or having to deal with the structure of public school. They are a house full of morons.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
If homeschooling worked, then public education would have never been started in the first place.How arrogant to assume that you..the parent...can teach your child better than someone that is trained to do as such.

Frankly,it appears that I'm not the only one who thinks so as homeschooling is more of a conceit than an actual movement. I wonder how parents think that their children are going fit into a society where they are in the minority?

Since they thought homeschooling was a GOOD idea in the first place, teh probably don't.
Actually, public education was started when education became compulsory. When it was optional, the parents who wanted to teach their kids did--much the way the parents who want to home school their kids do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I have the same type of degree as a teacher (not that I think it matters) yet I have one student and the teacher has 20-30. How is it arrogant to think that I can do a better job then the teacher with my own child?
I don't really have anything against people homeschooling their kids at an elementary school level--at that age, everyone knows the subject matter, and as a parent you probably know the teaching methodologies that work best for your child.

However, how can you have the same type of degree as every secondary teacher? I'm getting my certification to teach high school math (and hopefully physics). I will be able to teach my own child math wonderfully--yet I would fall woefully short at teaching them literature or biology or american history. While I could teach it, I guess, I would really just be learning it the night before we discussed it together, which seems like shortchanging my kid when there are experts out there who know everything about biology.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM

400 posts, read 849,471 times
Wow, you knew one dumb home schooled kid? Must be they're all stupid. After all, I've never met a poorly behaved or poorly performing public school kid!

Meanwhile, back here in reality land where an anecdote isn't data statistics refute your poorly supported position: HSLDA | Academic Statistics on Homeschooling Home schooled kids outscored their peers.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't really have anything against people homeschooling their kids at an elementary school level--at that age, everyone knows the subject matter, and as a parent you probably know the teaching methodologies that work best for your child.

However, how can you have the same type of degree as every secondary teacher? I'm getting my certification to teach high school math (and hopefully physics). I will be able to teach my own child math wonderfully--yet I would fall woefully short at teaching them literature or biology or american history. While I could teach it, I guess, I would really just be learning it the night before we discussed it together, which seems like shortchanging my kid when there are experts out there who know everything about biology.
With homeschooling, parents have the opportunity to get creative and utilize community resources. This can include classes at the local community center or community college, learning from local scientists, historians, internships, apprenticeships, museums, etc. Families can go on field trips and learn new things together. Since high school aged kids will already know how to read the kids can learn a lot through reading and researching on their own or the parent and child can learn new material together. The parents role may be more of a guide and facilitator then that of a traditional "teacher" who sits down and does lesson plans and lectures. One doesn't have to be an expert in all areas in order to provide their child with opportunities and resources to learn the things that interest them and the things that they need to know in order to thrive in life.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I think it's a terrible idea. The point of going to school with other kids is not just to learn, but also how to socialize, something that cannot be taught. Human beings aren't robots!

I know one person who homeschooled her child out of laziness. The state was going to prosecute her for truancy... her son just didn't feel like going to school every day... so she pulled him out of school to "homeschool" him so that he could sleep in and play video games!

Another person (my biological mother who I have since disowned) told me "most white people homeschool their kids" (seriously, that is a direct quote).

I've read plenty of stories from people who homeschool their kids, and none of them have any good reason to do so. Honestly, I don't know why such a thing is legal.

People in poor countries would do anything for their kids to get an education! We are extremely fortunate in this country to have free education to the 12th grade. Why is homeschooling even allowed in this country? I just don't get it.

If you hate the public schools that much, then put your money where your mouth is and send your kids to a private school. Homeschooling is for lazy, cheap, and racist people!
While I am not a fan of homeschooling, the fact is the only people who stay with it are ones for whom it either works or those who demand total control over their kids and I'm not sure we want either of that group in public schools. If homeschooling works for you, public school, probably, will not and I've had my fill of parents who want to control everything their children are exposed to (about 20% of the parents who come for parent teacher conferences will press me for my religious beliefs which I am not allowed to talk about because they assume a science teacher is an athiest who will try an brain wash their child )

Homeschooling produces better than average results because 1) Homeschooled kids come, mainly, from a demographic that tends to do well in school (middle class, two parent families with parents involved in education. If you look at that demographic in ANY school you'll see they do much better than average) and 2) The only ones who stick with it, long term, are those for whom it works well. The $20,000 question is would the same kids do better in public school going in with the same advantages but I really don't care because they do better than average so we're done. The purpose of public education is to have an educated public.

I see one glaring issue with homeschooling and that is the homeschooling failures who are sent back to the public schools when their parents give up and then the public schools are blamed for their problems. I have a neighbor who homeschooled her daughter until she as about 9 but now blames the school because her daughter can't read. I would love to see statistics for people who homeschool for a while, then send their kids back to the public schools and how those children do. I'm not worried about those that homeschool until graduation. Even if they would have done better with the combination of both their favorable demographics and highly qualified teachers, they will fare well. My concern is when the public school has to clean up a mess made by the parents and then they get blamed for it. IMO, once a child has been homeschooled, they should not count against a public school they later attend. Any deficiencies are not the fault of the school. It is not the middle school's fault my neighbor's daughter can't read. She wasn't in public school when she was taught to read. But her test scores are counted against them. IMO, they shouldn't be.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
With homeschooling, parents have the opportunity to get creative and utilize community resources. This can include classes at the local community center or community college, learning from local scientists, historians, internships, apprenticeships, museums, etc. Families can go on field trips and learn new things together. Since high school aged kids will already know how to read the kids can learn a lot through reading and researching on their own or the parent and child can learn new material together. The parents role may be more of a guide and facilitator then that of a traditional "teacher" who sits down and does lesson plans and lectures. One doesn't have to be an expert in all areas in order to provide their child with opportunities and resources to learn the things that interest them and the things that they need to know in order to thrive in life.
I guess my focus is on math, since that's the discipline I'm most familiar with and what I will teach next year. If you don't have a parent (or another adult) who is able to teach that subject to you, your only resort is to read the text book or online help websites and figure it out yourself. You can't learn statistical calculations (beyond basic probability) or calculus or trig from a museum or an internship.

Sure, museums can be enrichment, can provide practical applications, and can show the subject in real life...but base knowledge needs to come either from a book (and if you can learn that way, great! But the majority of the population can't) or from a knowledgeable teacher/mentor/adviser of some kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education