Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
....... Race To The Top is going to make NCLB look like a walk in the park.

This is most definitely true. Quite honestly, I voted for Obama for many reasons and would not have voted for McCain/Palin for almost any reason at all: EXCEPT FOR THIS.

NCLB has done more damage to anything other than reading and math than any program in Federal history. School districts are literally destroying every program in the arts, every support structure, everything that is exciting about education to make literally and actually impossible targets all based on a series of tests that take place in 6 mornings during the whole year.

And as the poster says, RTTT is way worse by any known standard of measure. When they are done we will have no functional education system, no good teachers, and no one even remotely interested in going into public education. But it won't happen for about 15-20 years of gradual decline while they make the system just like McDonalds Restaurant's degree of standardization. Sure they make food. But would you want to eat it every day? And compared to a good Italian or French cuisine, god no!

See: http://scienceblogs.com/mikethemadbi..._education.php

http://www.mn2020hindsight.org/?p=3952

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/artic...trict-top.html

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-22-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
But Race to the Top is not replacing NCLB, it's an addition to the existing Federal program. An optional one at that with funding attached to it.

How can one "race to the top" when your funding is based upon "everyone must be a winner" ?
Are we raising the bar here or lowering the bar ?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,814,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the chemistry standards? I found physical sceince and earth science but not chemistry. I'm really interested to see how the national standards compare to Michigan standards.
You might have to buy the book as it doesn't appear to be online

NSTA Recommends :: Chemistry in the National Science Education Standards, Second Edition: Models for Meaningful Learning in the High School Chemistry Classroom

A couple of pdf files here. I did not dl them, so don't know if they are helpful or not

Chemistry in the National Science Education Standards: Models for Meaningful Learning in the High School Chemistry Classroom, 2nd Edition (Stacey Lowery Bretz, Ed.) - Journal of Chemical Education (ACS Publications and Division of Chemical Education)

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,680,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
they make the system just like McDonalds Restaurant's degree of standardization
I both like and am troubled by this analogy, which is a good one. I call it the franchising of education, as the goal seems to be turning out the same product for every student, much as a Big Mac will be the same whether you are in Pennsylvania or Kansas. The problem is, you can't replicate the franchise experience with kids the way you can with food because the raw ingredients (the kids) are too different.

I haven't looked at these standards yet so I don't know if they are raising or lowering the bar, but it troubles me to see such an emphasis on the standardization of education.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM

The big thing that standardization should bring about is that kids who move from state to state have a chance to get the same education. As it is now, you can be a year ahead or a year behind or even just have some things you miss because you moved.

Of course, on the high school level Algebra I should be Algebra I should be Algebra I. If you don't have standards, some states teach only parts of Algebra I and call it Algebra I.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,443,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
The science standards are currently in the phase of "open for comments". One can go here to review and make comments: Conceptual Framework for New Science Education Standards

As for the original post: I am not against national standards as long as they are good ones and don't dumb things down. I can only speak for the life science section of the science standards, since that is my field. They seem to be ok for the most part.
What I do NOT like is the federal government browbeating states into using them. They want all the states to have the same standards so that they can make comparisons between states. OK fine, BUT, they want to take it further and use punitive measures against states, districts, teachers, and the colleges where the teachers went to school. I thought we learned from NCLB that punitive measures (i.e. withholding funds for poor performance) does NOT improve education in the US; however Race To The Top is going to make NCLB look like a walk in the park. Unfortunately we won't see the effects until Arne Duncan is long gone and someone else will probably get the blame.
Oh wow. THAT explains why the district I was just hired into was doing back flips to get me and why another district cold called me to see if I'd interview with them (both excellent districts). If you really want to integrate science and engineering, you need an engineer.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The big thing that standardization should bring about is that kids who move from state to state have a chance to get the same education. As it is now, you can be a year ahead or a year behind or even just have some things you miss because you moved.

Of course, on the high school level Algebra I should be Algebra I should be Algebra I. If you don't have standards, some states teach only parts of Algebra I and call it Algebra I.
If race to the top was only about standardization, that might be fine. Its not. Its about total control of the school from the federal level.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Frankly federal control can't be any worse than what we have now with state control and hodgepodge district control.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,443,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Frankly federal control can't be any worse than what we have now with state control and hodgepodge district control.
Personally, I prefer control at the federal level. That gives us one standard to attack and fix intead of 50 and 50 states to band together and work towards fixing it.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM

632 posts, read 1,513,544 times
Default Common Core?

I see a lot of reference to National Standards in various core areas, e.g. NCTM, NCTE, etc. but nothing about the Common Core. Granted, they have only developed math and language arts, but here in Wyoming, we have adopted the Common Core for these 2 areas and look forward to additional areas being developed. I'm surprised Education World didn't mention them; they are pretty much the national standard now.

And they ARE much more rigorous than existing standards in nearly every state. We spent our summer mapping curriulum to "ramp up" instruction this school year. I look forward to seeing standardized test results next spring.

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education