U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,055,573 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the purpose of this forum is?

Z
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM

354 posts, read 660,225 times
Maybe this should go to the administrators--but I would think a general discussion of education, education policies, trends in education, educational methods/ideas, etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

38,413 posts, read 49,977,727 times
Don't forget ranting about everything about teachers: salary, summers, pensions, etc.
Also to ask questions about how to handle a teacher who is mistreating Buffy or Biff by not understanding they have to get an A to get into a first tier college.
Also a place to come to complain about how college is worthless today and the world has ended.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM

38,413 posts, read 49,977,727 times
Oh yeah: in before the lock.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 PM

25,388 posts, read 33,184,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't forget ranting about everything about teachers: salary, summers, pensions, etc.
Also to ask questions about how to handle a teacher who is mistreating Buffy or Biff by not understanding they have to get an A to get into a first tier college.
Also a place to come to complain about how college is worthless today and the world has ended.
Yup, I don't know about others but some days I just need to let off steam so I don't explode.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM

225 posts, read 1,027,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Maybe this should go to the administrators--but I would think a general discussion of education, education policies, trends in education, educational methods/ideas, etc.

That sounds like an "educated guess" to me.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM

14,017 posts, read 19,427,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I'm wondering what the purpose of this forum is? Z
Easy: It gives you more opportunities to put people on your "ignore" list.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 3,502,594 times
Well, I appreciate the opportunity to discuss issues and ideas about educational philosophy and practice. I also like hearing other people's classroom techniques. And I confess to liking to hear the funny stories about the things that happen in the schools from time to time. I want to believe that I can be helpful with other people's problems.

When I have a problem, or just need to unload to someone who understands, unlike my family, I know that, despite the ever-present nay-sayers, there are people here who support what I'm doing. Bad days at an inner-city high school can require nerves of steel. At the end of a such a day, even steel frays. Preparing to go back the next day requires me to seek support, and I usually get it here.

Thanks, everybody!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,313,750 times
For me, this forum helps me understand two distinct things:

1. Why little Andy next door, recently graduated from 7th grade public school, doesn't know that one does not "axe" me a question unless he expects me to "butcher knife" him an answer.

2. Why Teacher Sue on the -other- side of the house was put on anxiety meds after teaching 7th grade last year.

In case you're interested, here's the answer:

1. The Board of Education has, in their wisdom, decided that grammar, sentence structure, and word comprehension is not a necessary part of the curriculum. Andy's parents are unconcerned, and therefore choose not to teach Andy themselves, or acquire a tutor for him.

2. The teacher has to take anti-anxiety meds, because she had Andy in her class.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM

874 posts, read 2,734,863 times
I don't know what the intended purpose is. I use it mainly to read (and occasionally discuss, although I am admittedly more of a lurker) others' perceptions on various aspects of education. Those others are teachers, concerned parents, and those who don't seem to have a horse in the race, so it is interesting and informative to see their perspectives. I also enjoy learning how teachers address certain issues in their diverse classrooms as well as just how different experiences can be based on location (urban, suburban, or rural as well as geographic location) and socio-economic status of the students. As a teacher in an inner-city school where all students qualify for free breakfast and lunch, where a majority of our students are English language learners yet only about 10% are enrolled in the bilingual program (and no ESL programs exist at the elementary level in our district), and where many of our teachers are a product of this district (or a similar neighboring district), it is helpful to read posts from teachers in similar school situations. I have many friends and colleagues who teach, but few of them who started teaching in an inner-city school have remained teaching in them. I also appreciated the ideas on a recent thread I started about favorite read-alouds as I was reminded of some books I had forgotten about and also learned about a few books I have not yet read.

There are many spirited debates here. Yes, there are some posters on here (as well as on any forum on C-D I have seen) whom one might want to put on their "ignore list," but there are multiple others - teachers and parents alike - whose input is passioned but comes from the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education