Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

K12/jr college dumbing down-- k12-- a ghetto-ized shamble of what was once good free education,
k12, driven and highjacked by a small AA power block, NAACP, a smart, well developed political group wielding civil rights law like a simitar, has wreaked havoc on the majority. some ducked, the small percentage of those rich enough for private school escaped, and were not touched, hence a rapidly emerging grand canyon gap between rich and poor.
if you want to break a people and control them, attack their education system, adolf hitler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
K12/jr college dumbing down-- k12-- a ghetto-ized shamble of what was once good free education,
k12, driven and highjacked by a small AA power block, NAACP, a smart, well developed political group wielding civil rights law like a simitar, has wreaked havoc on the majority. some ducked, the small percentage of those rich enough for private school escaped, and were not touched, hence a rapidly emerging grand canyon gap between rich and poor.
if you want to break a people and control them, attack their education system, adolf hitler.
Maybe this is Southern California where you are from, but for most of the rest of us, this is some kind of weird RANT, which has very little bearing on what is happening in the public schools today.

You are listening to too many reactionary talk shows. You need to go talk to some real educators in public schools and find out what is really happening around the country.

Z

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Maybe this is Southern California where you are from, but for most of the rest of us, this is some kind of weird RANT, which has very little bearing on what is happening in the public schools today.

You are listening to too many reactionary talk shows. You need to go talk to some real educators in public schools and find out what is really happening around the country.

Z
I agree. I went through great public schools. That said, though, there is a huge gap even with local schools. If I traveled just down the freeway in Atlanta City Schools, I don't think I could have said the same thing about graduating from a great public school system. And, that's just a 15 minute drive! Two completely different worlds. That is the worst part of our system, IMO, not that there is some chaotic widespread symptom in all schools. Other countries have fixed this so I think we could learn what they did and implement here.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Other countries have fixed this so I think we could learn what they did and implement here.
You mean little places have fixed this. Like Places that are as big as Rhode Island, or places that have a GDP about the size of California.

And places with homogeneous cultures, too.

The USA is a very very large, very very diverse place, and not one where federal McDonalds type one size fits all will work. Whenever the feds get involved in anything at the local level it gets screwed up really badly. Like NCLB or RTTT.

And of course these little countries that fix these things are also not the same countries that constantly are bleeding out their money and life blood in useless wars or just in having the biggest freakin' military in the world, or putting their military in everybody's business. For many of these little places education is important because they don't spend all their national money on other stuff that isn't.

You have to compare the whole country to the whole country not just little pieces to little pieces.

Z

Last edited by Zarathu; 08-05-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
That isn't basic. WTH is a cotter pin? I don't need to know this to get through daily life, unless I'm working at said job. This person was in an APPRENTICESHIP for a job, meaning he is LEARNING how to do the job. Gee, that's strange: a person who's LEARNING how to do a job who doesn't yet know how to do it. What an inconvenience: you have to teach an apprentice!
A cotter pin is pretty common and extremely simple, just as a basic household knowledge thing.

You think that a job applicant who can't figure out how to take something apart (as opposed to putting something together, which can be difficult) in an hour still deserves to be hired? There has to be some basic intelligence and problem-solving skills before an employee can start to learn the actual job.
The apprentice wasn't being asked to do the job, he was being tested for basic mechanical understanding and ability.

In our current economy, there are usually at least 5 or 6 applicants who DO have experience doing the exact job that is being hired. That is sad.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You mean little places have fixed this. Like Places that are as big as Rhode Island, or places that have a GDP about the size of California.

The USA is a very very large, very very diverse place, and not one where federal McDonalds type one size fits all will work. Whenever the feds get involved in anything at the local level it gets screwed up really badly. Like NCLB or RTTT.

And of course these little countries that fix these things are also not the same countries that constantly are bleeding out their money and life blood in useless wars or just in having the biggest freakin' military in the world, or putting their military in everybody's business. For many of these little places education is important because they don't spend all their national money on other stuff that isn't.

You have to compare the whole country to the whole country not just little pieces to little pieces.

Z
Uh huh, thanks for the rant on war mongering, but that isn't the subject. By looking at what other countries are doing, I meant exactly that: both in and out of the school. Yes, the US is a vast place with many regions and differences and BLAH BLAH BLAH. So is Canada, yet they have a much better education system (#2 according to PISA Science test from OECD, #6 in Math, and #2 in literacy) than we do (they also have just as diverse a population as we do, if not more so). Their population is mostly urban like ours with a large rural minority LIKE OURS. The federal government there IS involved in education, so that theory is blown out of the water. Hmmm, what is different? What are they doing that we are missing? You didn't even address how school districts DOWN THE ROAD from one another (and thus similar economies, politics, etc.) can be light years apart. Even with wars, etc., we spend more than any country on education, so that obviously isn't the problem. In my example, ACPS spends WAY more than the district I went to, yet they get worse results. Their results should not be this separated.

So, what are we supposed to do? We can't get the feds involved because according to you, they'll just make things worse even though Canada, which is basically the US + free healthcare sans large military industrial complex, has their federal government involved with their provincial systems with great results. Should we pull our troops out of the Middle East? That's wonderful and I agree, however, how exactly will that improve education? More money, even though that hasn't worked? Well, since there is a country so like us to the north with better results, why not see what the hell they are doing IN GENERAL for their kids, in and out of the classroom? I mean, could it really hurt to copy the guy that knows what he's doing?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
A cotter pin is pretty common and extremely simple, just as a basic household knowledge thing.

You think that a job applicant who can't figure out how to take something apart (as opposed to putting something together, which can be difficult) in an hour still deserves to be hired? There has to be some basic intelligence and problem-solving skills before an employee can start to learn the actual job.
The apprentice wasn't being asked to do the job, he was being tested for basic mechanical understanding and ability.

In our current economy, there are usually at least 5 or 6 applicants who DO have experience doing the exact job that is being hired. That is sad.
I don't agree with it being "common knowledge." I haven't known the name for many many years and neither have many others I've asked (turns out I've seen one before, but I've never known what it was called). I've asked "do you know what a cotter pin is?" to so many people, younger and older, and not many knew (about 20% know). It just doesn't seem to be household knowledge. Maybe it was at one point but not now? I mean, most people don't fix their own machinery anymore.

Now, on to the apprentice: in this economy, yes, he should be at a disadvantage for this job. However, why was he hired if there were several other people who knew what was what? Maybe they suffered from having "too much experience" to borrow a phrase from most HR handbooks. I would test many of the applicants before hand. I also made the comment before seeing what a cotter pin is (I Google'd it, so sue me). If I had not seen what it looked like before, it probably would have taken me 5 mins or so to figure out how to remove it with a crescent wrench. Many others my age could have figured it out (the OP's intention being that everyone in gen Y is too stupid to figure it out, and not that it was just the person doing it who was too stupid).

Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Uh huh, thanks for the rant on war mongering, but that isn't the subject. By looking at what other countries are doing, I meant exactly that: both in and out of the school. Yes, the US is a vast place with many regions and differences and BLAH BLAH BLAH. So is Canada, yet they have a much better education system (#2 according to PISA Science test from OECD, #6 in Math, and #2 in literacy) than we do (they also have just as diverse a population as we do, if not more so)..........
You've completely missed my point. Canada doesn't waste all its money and time in foreign wars, and in having a giant military..... And except for Quebec, Canada is pretty much a homogeneous culture. If you use the parameters which I defined, you will not be able to find a country's education system to match the pain that we have in ours, that also has a bang-Up education structure that is the same everywhere.

Do you actually work in the management side of education, or have any real facility with it? I think not. You make it sound so simple. Its so far from simple that..... I have no words.

Your references are so simplistic that I don't even know where to start to explain it to you.

Moving on.

z

Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
it probably would have taken me 5 mins or so to figure out how to remove it with a crescent wrench.
The average person would do it in about 30 seconds using pliers. Millions of people use cotter pins every Christmas assembling their kid’s tricycles, and wagons. We are not talking rocket science here.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
You've completely missed my point. Canada doesn't waste all its money and time in foreign wars, and in having a giant military..... And except for Quebec, Canada is pretty much a homogeneous culture. If you use the parameters which I defined, you will not be able to find a country's education system to match the pain that we have in ours, that also has a bang-Up education structure that is the same everywhere.

Do you actually work in the management side of education, or have any real facility with it? I think not. You make it sound so simple. Its so far from simple that..... I have no words.

Your references are so simplistic that I don't even know where to start to explain it to you.

Moving on.

z
Sorry, Z, but Canada is quite diverse in it's population. It is in many ways similar to the US in its immigration patterns.

Ethnic diversity and immigration

Over the past 100 years, more than 13 million immigrants have arrived to forge a new life here, making Canada one of the world’s most ethnically diverse countries. Most came from Europe during the first half of the twentieth century. Later on, non-Europeans started arriving in larger numbers as economic immigrants or refugees, or as family members of previous immigrants.

By 1970, half of all immigrants were coming from Caribbean nations, Asia and South America. In the 1980s, a growing number were arriving from Africa.

In the 1990s, 58% of Canada’s immigrants were born in Asia (including the Middle East); 20% were from Europe; and 22% came from the Caribbean, Central and South America, Africa and the United States. Most (73%) settled in Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver, transforming the ethno-cultural composition and socioeconomic dynamics of these cities.

In 2001, 10.3 million people—nearly half of Canada’s population aged 15 and older, not including Aboriginal peoples—reported British, French or Canadian ethnic origins, or some combination of the three, reflecting the long history of British and French peoples in Canada. Meanwhile, 4.3 million Canadians reported other European origins, 2.9 million reported non-European origins, while 3.3 million reported mixed ethnicity.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education