Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this lately and was wondering if algebra was over emphasized when you consider that most people will never really need it after they finish school.

To those who took algerbra in school how often do you use it now?

Quote:
I used algebra a lot when I worked at NASA. But how many people are
going to navigate spacecraft, or program computers, or solve physics
problems on a regular basis?

Outside of work, I hardly ever use algebra, and no one else that I
know does, either. (However, I use simple geometry pretty regularly,
building or fixing things around the house.)

It seems to me that making _everyone_ learn algebra because _some_
people will be scientists and engineers is a little like making
_everyone_ learn to play an instrument because _some_ people will be
professional musicians.

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
I think those who believe they never use algebra after high school either don't understand it at all, or understand it so well that they don't realize they are using it.

It's a part of daily life, plain and simple.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM

25 posts, read 55,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I think those who believe they never use algebra after high school either don't understand it at all, or understand it so well that they don't realize they are using it.

Exactly!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 PM

305 posts, read 539,185 times
Perhaps one reason why we hear so much nonsense about the problems of education is because we always see balderdash like this over "is algebra/math relevant".

Are there any other societies that spend so much time talking about crap like this, other than just teaching students how to do math?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:

Amen to that!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
Quote:

Well said!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've been thinking about this lately and was wondering if algebra was over emphasized when you consider that most people will never really need it after they finish school.

To those who took algerbra in school how often do you use it now?
If X is the amount of time each person spends discussing whether algebra is relevant and Y is the amount of waking time each person has available to do non-work related tasks...

I think you are going to get a biased sample here in terms of the percentage of folks who use it daily, by nature of where the question is posted. Ask the same thing of the workers in various places like Walmart, the fire department, the McDonalds... and I suspect you will get a slightly different answer.

However, I think your question misses the point, even if I grant your baseline assumption about life and algebra.

Algebra is usually taught in 8th or 9th grades.

Do you want to make the decisions about how limited a child's education and employment options will be when the child is 13 or 14?

(That is, beyond the extent to which such is already done, which is far too much, in my opinion.)

Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,269 times
I would like to agree with JPS. Speaking as an English teacher, I might be expected to assert the idea that I never use algebra, that it was a waste, et cetera.

Untrue.

Not only do I use it frequently as a metaphor, particularly the concept of variables or exponents, but the simple logical and quantitative skills I learned were useful.

Given my 20/20 hindsight, I never realized when I was in high school how much I was completely cutting off huge swaths of employment possibilities and really limiting myself quite seriously. The smaller your economic niche, the less likely you are to survive. Bottom line, it's a serious deficit in my training.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post

Ask the same thing of the workers in various places like Walmart, the fire department, the McDonalds... and I suspect you will get a slightly different answer.
Yeah those are the people I was thinking of. From what I've read from others talking about this algebra mainly seemed to be used by those in certain fields. Few people on another forum I visited have found any use for algebra after school.

Quote:
However, I think your question misses the point, even if I grant your baseline assumption about life and algebra.

Algebra is usually taught in 8th or 9th grades.
From what I remember algebra of different levels was taught throughout my high school.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM

You may get a kick out of this.

Richard Cohen - What Is the Value of Algebra? - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education