U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM

3,864 posts, read 5,968,279 times

Advertisements

I've recently been helping college students to fill out their new-hire paperwork so they can work on campus. Some do not know what county they're in, whether they have a checking or savings account, or how to spell simple four and five letter words. The W-4 form may as well be written in a foreign language; they simply cannot comprehend it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 AM

812 posts, read 1,819,451 times
Sad isn't it? And folks wonder why I am pushing education with my kids...I also hope to teach them to stand on their own 2 feet! So many parents won't let kids take care of simple tasks so they never learn how to take care of their own basic needs like laundry, cleaning, cooking, making appts and scheduling their time. My co-worker won't even let his children be responsible for waking themselves up and getting ready for school on time at 14.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,135,343 times
Sorry to say.... but since the advent of No Child Left Behind and AYP, this is almost THE ONLY THING WE DO. In most places the only player for AYP is reading and math. Locally two school districts got permission from the state to abolish all arts programs(art and music) so that they would have more time to teach reading and math. Writing, science, social studies, getting along with others, etc., its all going away so that we can test well on the reading and math state tests in the spring. We even have one district that I heard of that got permission to abolish phys.ed. and that's a normally state required subject.

Pretty soon kids will study reading and math only all day long.

That's what is really sad.

Z

Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM

6,796 posts, read 6,935,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I've recently been helping college students to fill out their new-hire paperwork so they can work on campus. Some do not know what county they're in, whether they have a checking or savings account, or how to spell simple four and five letter words. The W-4 form may as well be written in a foreign language; they simply cannot comprehend it.
At my company, we have an apprentice program that requires high school graduation. It is really hard to believe some of the people in the program have 12 years of school. One of the apprentices was tasked with taking apart a small tool. After about an hour the instructor was curious what was taking so long and walked over to check his progress. The tool was still fully assembled and the apprentice was fumbling at trying to remove a cotter pin with a crescent wrench. Unfortunately stunts like this are becoming common place.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM

40,902 posts, read 53,086,026 times
Shop classes that would teach about tools and their uses have pretty much been eliminated at comprehensive high schools. Liability issues, difficulty in staffing and cost are the main reasons.

Many systems have dedicated Vo-Tech programs but those do not serve the entire population as shop classes did 30+ years ago.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,928,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
But, I bet they could have told you the number of unneeded plastic water bottles that are discarded each year, how Hurricane Katrina was an unnatural disaster caused by Global Warming, as well as the injustices that have been, are and will probably be inflicted on blacks, mexicans, gays, muslims, women, midgets and various other minorities by white folks in the past, present and probable future. They could also have probably described to you, in more detail, than you would ever want to know, the anatomy and physiology of the male and female as well as transgendered sexual organs, the pleasures of sex as well as numerous forms of contraception and pregnancy termination. See, you just asked the wrong questions.

Another reason to pull your kids out of public schools!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,431,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
At my company, we have an apprentice program that requires high school graduation. It is really hard to believe some of the people in the program have 12 years of school. One of the apprentices was tasked with taking apart a small tool. After about an hour the instructor was curious what was taking so long and walked over to check his progress. The tool was still fully assembled and the apprentice was fumbling at trying to remove a cotter pin with a crescent wrench. Unfortunately stunts like this are becoming common place.
That isn't basic. WTH is a cotter pin? I don't need to know this to get through daily life, unless I'm working at said job. This person was in an APPRENTICESHIP for a job, meaning he is LEARNING how to do the job. Gee, that's strange: a person who's LEARNING how to do a job who doesn't yet know how to do it. What an inconvenience: you have to teach an apprentice!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM

632 posts, read 1,454,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
But, I bet they could have told you the number of unneeded plastic water bottles that are discarded each year, how Hurricane Katrina was an unnatural disaster caused by Global Warming, as well as the injustices that have been, are and will probably be inflicted on blacks, mexicans, gays, muslims, women, midgets and various other minorities by white folks in the past, present and probable future. They could also have probably described to you, in more detail, than you would ever want to know, the anatomy and physiology of the male and female as well as transgendered sexual organs, the pleasures of sex as well as numerous forms of contraception and pregnancy termination. See, you just asked the wrong questions.

Another reason to pull your kids out of public schools!
Don't know where YOU live, but the public schools in MY state teach none of these things.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,769,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Don't know where YOU live, but the public schools in MY state teach none of these things.
They teach them here. I believe she and I live in quite liberal areas, though.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM

61,281 posts, read 83,336,411 times
its scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education