Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you respect teachers?
Yes 35 51.47%
No 5 7.35%
Not until they earn my respect personally 28 41.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times

Advertisements

Some I respect and others I have to wander how they got to be a teacher. Its like everything else really.Most people have been exposed to both types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,899,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As I've said in the other thread where you keep arguing..

Teachers, as individuals, do not get respect OR disrespect from me until and unless I have reason to respect OR disrespect them. Teachers, as individuals, hold a neutral pattern in my mind, until then.

The teaching profession as a whole, gets my respect.
Agreed. I think teaching is a wonderful profession that gives a lot back, however, it's impossible to judge individuals without having more to go on than that.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM

198 posts, read 482,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd love to record the difference in reaction when I start a conversation with someone and say I'm an engineer or say I'm a teacher. The reactions are night and day. Engineer gets kind of an "O wow" reaction. Teacher gets eye rolling. There seems to be an automatic disdain of teachers while engineers are held in high esteem.
If it makes you feel better, I think engineers tend to be some of the most boring people around. 80% of them can only talk about their work. If the person next to me on an airplane decides to strike up a conversation I would much prefer that person to be a teacher and not an engineer.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM

550 posts, read 1,352,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
If it makes you feel better, I think engineers tend to be some of the most boring people around. 80% of them can only talk about their work. If the person next to me on an airplane decides to strike up a conversation I would much prefer that person to be a teacher and not an engineer.
The engineers you met were probably electrical engineers That stuff is way over everyone's head. Well, I find finance, accounting, and economics boring lol.

I'm a recent engineering graduate and always thought that the majority of education majors were those that couldn't handle majoring in the individual subjects. I knew many that switched majors so many times before settling with becoming a teacher. Those that do have passion for it, I have much respect for. We need people like that teaching our kids.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,440,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
The engineers you met were probably electrical engineers That stuff is way over everyone's head. Well, I find finance, accounting, and economics boring lol.

I'm a recent engineering graduate and always thought that the majority of education majors were those that couldn't handle majoring in the individual subjects. I knew many that switched majors so many times before settling with becoming a teacher. Those that do have passion for it, I have much respect for. We need people like that teaching our kids.
Education is a major. Content area expertise is an issue. There is a push on for teachers to be content experts as well as education experts. Which begs the question, is it easier to turn a good teacher into a content area expert or a content area expert into a good teacher?

Actually, I think if the average person talks to any engineer long enough (except maybe civil engineers), they'll go over their heads. I know chemical engineering is as heady as electrical engineering. They're just polar opposites. I think people relate better to mechanical or civil engineers but, still, discussions can go right over the average person's head without meaning to.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM

632 posts, read 1,513,312 times
Quote:
Education is a major. Content area expertise is an issue. There is a push on for teachers to be content experts as well as education experts. Which begs the question, is it easier to turn a good teacher into a content area expert or a content area expert into a good teacher?
In my state in the 2 content areas I'm endorsed in, you HAVE to have a bachelor's degree in the content area first.....then you get to take pedagogy classes to earn the endorsement.

Once you are in education for awhile, you will see that content-area expertise doesn't = a good teacher. The math teacher in my building is brilliant...he's been teaching 29 years....and he's horrible at it. He has no patience with students who don't love and understand math like he does, he has no clue or interest about how adolescent brains learn, he doesn't care that when he demeans a student in front of others, that student tunes him out in his brain. He believes since he's the teacher, students should automatically respect his knowledge and learn.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
In my state in the 2 content areas I'm endorsed in, you HAVE to have a bachelor's degree in the content area first.....then you get to take pedagogy classes to earn the endorsement.

Once you are in education for awhile, you will see that content-area expertise doesn't = a good teacher. The math teacher in my building is brilliant...he's been teaching 29 years....and he's horrible at it. He has no patience with students who don't love and understand math like he does, he has no clue or interest about how adolescent brains learn, he doesn't care that when he demeans a student in front of others, that student tunes him out in his brain. He believes since he's the teacher, students should automatically respect his knowledge and learn.
Six of one/half dozen of the other. What good is a good teacher who doesn't know their content? I do think that ed schools need to push how to teach more. They're big on theory but not on practice. I had ONE class on adolescent development. ONE. Seriously, the adolescent brain should have been a bigger part of my studies.

I had so many education theories thrown at me in school that I didn't know where to start as a teacher. I also think that teachers should apprentice. IMO, my first year, I should have had a mentor who was, frequently, if not every day, in my class watching me teach and I should have been in other teacher's classrooms watching them teach. I also should have had frequent, if not daily, feed back sessions with my mentor.

For my first teaching job, they pretty much handed me the keys and said "here's your room and your class list". The few times someone came in and watched me teach it was because I asked for it. The few times I sat in on other classes it was because I asked for it. I'm starting at a new school in three weeks and I will be asking to sit in on other classes and asking my mentor to sit in on mine.

For me, it's not how teens learn that I struggle with. It's the dynamics of group behavior management. I'm fine one on one. I'm fine with the material and ok with how teens learn but sometimes classroom managment feels like a game of whack-a-mole. One problem is I teach a required class that many students do not want to take and they act out because of it. I, usually, have to get my problem students into after school tutoring, with me, before I get them in line.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,445,939 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you learn from a professor if you have no more respect for him than you do a high school drop out? To me they are in different categories. One has completed a program of study and that tells me something about him. The other hasn't done anything to prove himself yet so I'm more skeptical. I would accept instruction from a college professor long before I would from a high school drop out, unless said drop out has done something to prove themselves an expert in what they teach.

To me, they're different. I would assume the professor is an expert but I would not assume the high school drop out was an expert. I could be wrong, but, statistically speaking, I'll be right more often than I'm wrong. Until proven otherwise, I would have more respect for the professor and what he teaches than the high school drop out. Apparently, I stand alone in that...at least for now in the poll. I was taught to respect my elders and those who knew more than me because they know more than me. Things have changed a lot.
I would trust a professor to teach me more than I would trust a high school drop out. But even then, a degree doesn't guarantee that you have the ability to teach.

But I thought this thread was about respect in general. Just because you respect a professor the same as a high school drop out doesn't mean you trust both of them to teach you. They each have their strong points. For example, Eminem and Billie Joe Armstrong are high school drop outs but they're successful. If I wanted to learn an academic subject, I would trust a professor more. If I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, I would trust Billie Joe Armstrong more.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,445,939 times
Overall, I respect professors more than high school teachers. With some exceptions, the professors I've had so far have earned my respect. A lot of high school teachers don't give the students any reason to respect them. They think students should respect them just because they're teachers. I had a teacher in high school that didn't respect the students but thought the students should respect him.

I also had a lot of teachers that mailed it in. If they don't do their job the right way and they're just in it for the money, why should the students respect them? I liked a lot of those teachers, but I didn't respect them.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I would trust a professor to teach me more than I would trust a high school drop out. But even then, a degree doesn't guarantee that you have the ability to teach.

But I thought this thread was about respect in general. Just because you respect a professor the same as a high school drop out doesn't mean you trust both of them to teach you. They each have their strong points. For example, Eminem and Billie Joe Armstrong are high school drop outs but they're successful. If I wanted to learn an academic subject, I would trust a professor more. If I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, I would trust Billie Joe Armstrong more.
I'm talking about professional respect. I have more professional respect for a college professor than I do a high school drop out. The latter would have to prove to me they have something to teach me before I'd be willing to sign up. I'd give the former the benefit of a doubt. That's not to say he can't prove to me he can't teach. Then again, I learned an awful lot from professors who couldn't teach. You have to coax it out of them but if they know their stuff, it's there for the taking.

Two of the four best professors I had in college couldn't teach BUT they KNEW their material. I have fond memories of talking with them during office hours or after class. Lectures were another matter but you figure out how to get what you need from those who really know their stuff.

Ok, can someone explain what "mailing it in" or "phoning it in" mean? I keep seeing those phrases and I've never heard them before. Teachers, by nature of the job, have to show up. They have to stand in front of that room and teach and, to do that, they have to prep. How does a teacher "mail it in" or "phone it in"? Examples please. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education