Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times

Advertisements

Like, omg, American kids are good at texting, facetwit and video games, dude... and American society has convinced them that is a good thing.

A smarter, healthier child is a more productive adult. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

Americans would rather invest in a Hummer for a personal status level in their own mind than the nations future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This was my experience, as well. I don't know if it was a trend in teaching math at the time I was in school, if it was specific to my teachers, or if it was and is just general practice, but the emphasis was always on moving forward very, very quickly, more so than in other subjects.

I teach, so I do realize that for various concepts, drilling is an efffective means of rote memorization, but once you get into concepts where it's more than just that, rapidfire teaching technique is going to lose all but the students who already had it all, anyway, coming in. It's very difficult and very intimidating in math, due to the way most teaching is structured, to catch up, once you feel left in the dust. Can't speak for others, but the way I was taught, speed was of utmost importance...not only did you need to understand how to arrive at the answer, you needed to win a race and try to arrive there first.
Now this sounds more like an actual "Race to nowhere".

Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
There have also been the different "theories" on math and teaching math that were embraced and discarded and embraced and discarded over the years. Fads that lined someone's pocket for a bit until the next fad came along.
I was a victim of "New Math". 1960's. We should have a support group.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
We need to bring back tracking immediately and well before high school or even middle school. The idea that all level can be taught in one classroom even in elementary school just means we lower the bar so everyone gets over it leaving the brighter kids bored and the average kids unchallenged.

And true tracking, not just honors level for the kids who behave. Multiple levels of every class. Unfortunately its expensive and would not work with merit pay schemes at all.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
There have also been the different "theories" on math and teaching math that were embraced and discarded and embraced and discarded over the years. Fads that lined someone's pocket for a bit until the next fad came along.
What cracks me up is that neither children or basic math have changed over the years. The human brain is still the human brain and 2+2 still equals 4. We need to look at times and countries that teach well and copy what they do/did. I will, guarantee, that they all have one thing in common. Students who practice what they are taught. Therein lies the problem. You're expecting the STUDENT to take part in his own learning. Novel concept.

I really wonder what is going to happen to these kids who have had parents bail them out time after time. Who have had their educations catered to them. What WILL they do when they are released into a world that expects THEM to adapt instead of adapts to them. Lord knows they are not learning under a system that is trying to cater to them.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
We need to bring back tracking immediately and well before high school or even middle school. The idea that all level can be taught in one classroom even in elementary school just means we lower the bar so everyone gets over it leaving the brighter kids bored and the average kids unchallenged.

And true tracking, not just honors level for the kids who behave. Multiple levels of every class. Unfortunately its expensive and would not work with merit pay schemes at all.
That's ok because merit pay schemes won't work either.

According to the theory of merit pay, I, somehow, became a much better and more valuable teacher over the summer. Funny thing is I'm still me. What changed is the quality of my students. Last year, I had rude students whose parents thought teachers don't deserve respect until they earn it (but are unclear on what, exactly, a teacher should do to earn it) who didn't do their work. This year, most of my students want to learn, listen and, do their work and, surprise, surprise, succeed. How come I'm such a better teacher here? Maybe it's something in the water...

I am the same teacher I was last year but I get, totally, different results this year. While I did learn a thing or two last year, that is not the biggest change. The biggest change is students who listen. My worst problem is my 6th hour which likes to see if they can come up with a question I can't answer. This has led us down different paths and, sometimes led to us having to hussle to catch up to the other classes but we have some really cool discussions. I know I shouln't let them do it but they really are good questions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education