Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

My first day of school is tomorrow and I have not received my English books yet!. I did not have the $160.00 on Thursday last week, the day of the registration, to buy my books brand new, so I ordered used ones on-line. Well, classes start tomorrow and the books have not shipped yet. Hopefully they ship tomorrow Monday. I just don't want to feel like a fool in class with no books. What can I tell the teacher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My first day of school is tomorrow and I have not received my English books yet!. I did not have the $160.00 on Thursday last week, the day of the registration, to buy my books brand new, so I ordered used ones on-line. Well, classes start tomorrow and the books have not shipped yet. Hopefully they ship tomorrow Monday. I just don't want to feel like a fool in class with no books. What can I tell the teacher?
I went through 6 years of college and only bought three books the entire time. During class I would LISTEN carefully and take lots of notes. After school I would go to the library and read the next day's chapter and do the homework assignment.

The first year I attended college I bought almost $400 dollars worth of books and looked at them - *maybe* twice the entire year. I realized very quickly that you can do very well without them.

I'd check out my school's library if I were you and see if they have the books you need there (chances are they will), and if they don't request them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2010, 07:48 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Definitely hit the library before class and see if the book is available. If it is not (it probably will be) tell the professor and see if he/she might be able to get one on reserve in the library. I think the professor will appreciate your honesty and understand your issue. Very few people buy books at the university bookstore.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Thanks guys.
I will hope for the best.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I've never taken a class where you needed the book in the actual class. Most professors put the books on reserve in the library, so if you have readings that you must do by the next day swing by the library.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
I rarely purchased my books before the first day, and I never carried them to lectures. I always waited until I attended the first class to verify which books I needed--so often the bookstore had the wrong list, or identified books as mandatory when they were really optional.

In most of my courses, the lectures were supplemental to the textbooks, they covered complimentary topics but didn't follow the text, so there was no need to bring the book to class. The books were something I used at home. There might have been a recitation class or two that I brought my books for but those were the exception.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times
I had friends that checked books and kept renewing them during the semester. All for free. Other students will hate you for this but you aren't spending any money doing so.

I bought my books online used. Saved a lot of money. I remember buying a $100 book for $6 on Amazon.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
half.com is a great place to look for cheap textbooks.

http://www.half.ebay.com/textbooks

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Has anybody had success getting textbooks online quickly (less than 7-10 days)? Last year I had to cancel an order from Barnes and Noble because I was still waiting for it to ship a week after placing the order. The website says they usually ship in 1-2 days, but that wasn't my experience.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
OP you can also find someone in class that lives near you and see if you can borrow the book if needed until your book comes in.

Mattie-our oldest is going off to college and we ordered all of his books online. 3 of them were in stock and shipped right away and we had them within a week, the others were not in stock yet so they didn't ship for a couple weeks. A few of his books were not available online so we went through the school bookstore and signed up for in store pick up. He got an email that one of the books that wasn't available online was because the prof ordered a special addition of the book that contains only the chapters she will use so it costs less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education