Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,154 times

Advertisements

So as I'm preparing my curriculum for this coming year, I was kind of disappointed in the limited selection of reading material for students in my classroom. The Literature anthology lacks imaginative or diverse texts, and the books available- Diary of Anne Frank, The Pearl, Huckleberry Finn, The Outsiders--are the same old same old.

While I don't discount the classics, per se, the idea of just teaching literature by "old dead white guys" to junior high students doesn't seem to open up the diversity and depth that is out there.

I've had a couple suggestions from friends- The Birchbark House, by Louise Erdrich, and Parvana's Journey- by Deborah Ellis, The Hobbit, by Tolkien ... I'd like to hear what you are teaching in the middle school (7-8th grade level).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I've had a couple suggestions from friends- The Birchbark House, by Louise Erdrich, and Parvana's Journey- by Deborah Ellis, The Hobbit, by Tolkien ... I'd like to hear what you are teaching in the middle school (7-8th grade level).
I'm not a teacher but I wanted to say that my 7th grade teacher assigned The Hobbit, and that book turned me into a reader. Before I was "forced" to read that book, I would not voluntarily pick up a book at all. It literally changed my life in that respect.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
The classics are classic for a reason. Don't neglect them.

My kids love to read. Middle school novels that are a bit more contemporary:

Hoot-Carl Hiaasen
Flush-Carl Hiassen
Number the Stars-Lois Lowry
The Giver-Lois Lowry
The Boy In The Striped Pajama-John Boyne
Island of the Blue Dolphins-O'Dell
Sounder-Armstrong
The Crossing-Paulsen
Hatchet-Paulsen
My Brother Sam is Dead-Collier
The House of the Scorpion-Nancy Farmer
Flowers for Algernon-Keyes

Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
I think The Outsiders was written by a sixteen-year-old girl, so you've already got something that isn't by an "old dead white guy."

How about some historical fiction?
When My Name Was Keoko (Park) - set in Korea during World War 2
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Mildred Taylor) - in the South during the 1930s
Devil's Arithmetic (Yolen) - Holocaust
Jip: His Story (Paterson) - U.S., 19th century, deals with slavery/abolition issues

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The classics are classic for a reason. Don't neglect them.

My kids love to read. Middle school novels that are a bit more contemporary:

Hoot-Carl Hiaasen
Flush-Carl Hiassen
Number the Stars-Lois Lowry
The Giver-Lois Lowry
The Boy In The Striped Pajama-John Boyne
Island of the Blue Dolphins-O'Dell
Sounder-Armstrong
The Crossing-Paulsen
Hatchet-Paulsen
My Brother Sam is Dead-Collier
The House of the Scorpion-Nancy Farmer
Flowers for Algernon-Keyes
I just saw that movie and oh boy was that disturbing.

When our oldest was in 7th grade they read Caldacott Medal (I think it was that award) books. They picked 12 of the books and if they read them all they got a prize.

My kids also like the Lord of the Rings books in middle school. DD read "The Boy Called It" and it's squeals along with the Jodi Picault books and the Nicholas Sparks books. DS15 LOVED the book "Truancy", written by a 15 year old boy, but when I suggested he tell his teacher about the book because other kids might like it too he told me that there was foul language in the book and that the teacher probably couldn't recommend it to the kids . He checks the bookstore every time we go to see if there is another book by this author.

My kids have always had good luck going to Barnes and Nobel and getting suggestions from the workers there. Maybe give them a call and see what the hot books are for teens in your area and add those to your list.

Personally, I don't care if they are reading comic books as long as they are reading.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Some older favorites that I read in Jr. High were On the Beach by Neville Shute, The Sword in the Stone, and Jane Eyre.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
I wouldn't recommend Jodi Picault for junior high, or even high school. Her characters are disturbing, and the relationships are frightening - especially between adults and adolescents. They'll keep a kid's attention because of the stories and the sex, and the twist at the end is interesting. But the characters . . . .

A couple more good ones:
Mister Grey (White)
Crimson Moccasins (Doughty) - if you can get it

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,919 times
My daughter just read Night by Elie Wiesel and liked it. My son just read Freak Almighty and said it was 'okay' (he is an avid reader). They are in middle school. Both read The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare and said it was good. I will find out what they read last year. A few books they loved and really had some 'deep' talks about in class...just can't recall them now. I will post again with more!
Taben

Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,154 times
Oh I don't discount, nor do I want to neglect, the classics, but I do know there are books beyond those. And yes, I would (will) teach the Outsiders, as it was one of my favourites 25 odd years ago when I was at that age.

I'm glad to hear the Hobbit is so well received. I will check that out as a possibility. My daughter actually suggested that one to me.

I didn't read Jane Eyre until college, and was literally the "first" classic I had ever read willingly...took me 6 months! But I did enjoy it, though I can't say that junior high level students would likely enjoy it.

Part of the reason I want to diversify my reading material is that my school is on the reservation and over 2/3rds of my students are Native American.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer, and the Scarlet Letter are often taught, and I have nothing against them--except maybe Scarlet Letter, since it's a fairly adult topic and I never actually understood it until I read it as an adult.

Has anyone read "The Watson's go to Birmingham" ? That book was one in my classroom cupboards that I was unfamiliar with, though appears to be centered on racial inequality in the 60's.

Thanks for the ideas.. keep them coming It's nice to see what is being taught around the country.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

736 posts, read 524,477 times
Why don't you try AVI and his I witness novel IRON THUNDER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education