Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
If you get kicked out (expelled) from both public schools and alternative schools what are your choices in terms of where your child can attend school weather it be middle school or high school.

Would military school work?
What about private schools?
What about online schools?
Is there any type of disability involved with this student? If no, has the student been given any evaluations to rule them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
Kids age is 13...he has been suspended numerous times for fighting/cussing/potty mouth/etc. School has been in service for 2 or 3 weeks and he's already been suspended for at least a week so far. Already been suspended for cussing at one of the bigwigs, ditching one class 3 different days...
In CA the student would attend a continuation school within the student's city (or nearby). If he's expelled from there, probably into alternative ed. Enough ditching means the student is absent and truancy may result in him being placed in alternative ed. All of this is public education. If he gets in trouble with the law, it's still public ed. There are classrooms in probation camps and juvenile halls, all taught by credentialed teachers and monitored by the state. Some kids qualify for anger management classes and drug classes while they're in these facilities. I'm sure Arizona has something similar.

Quote:
What is a sped team as I've never heard of that or even know what it is.
Special Education. He may need to be evaluated to determine if he has a learning disability or is ED.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM

107 posts, read 151,424 times
oh okay read the tidbit, quite a story. Well, I'm going to commend you for trying to turn him around. 13 is a difficult age. Peers would most likely have the strongest affect on this age range. It's likely he is hanging around similar minded kids. Anyhow, as to how to change him around. Perhaps a military school, a costly endeavor. Homeschooling, which doesn't sound to optional here would quickly see him in line cause you would be cutting that peer group out of the equation.

I personally like residential psychiatric units who utilize horses in therapy but again another costly endeavor. Perhaps karate. You really need to figure out your options for therapy on this kind of a case so insurance is where I would start.

He would need a counselor that he would have some kind of positive relationship with. That would be a big player. I would recommend a counselor that specializes in drug/alcohol abuse. The school might have group therapy he could be a part of.

I'm not sure of your schooling question. Don't quote me but he may be able to get a state supplied tutor. Call the local superintendants office to explore your options.

Best of luck and behalf of society as whole thanks for caring ( :

Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 PM

235 posts, read 465,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Is there any type of disability involved with this student? If no, has the student been given any evaluations to rule them out?
No disability and his record shows he doesn't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Special Education. He may need to be evaluated to determine if he has a learning disability or is ED.
He doesn't as he's already taken the tests and passed with flying colors as he gets A's in all of his classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
oh okay read the tidbit, quite a story. Well, I'm going to commend you for trying to turn him around. 13 is a difficult age. Peers would most likely have the strongest affect on this age range. It's likely he is hanging around similar minded kids. Anyhow, as to how to change him around. Perhaps a military school, a costly endeavor. Homeschooling, which doesn't sound to optional here would quickly see him in line cause you would be cutting that peer group out of the equation.

I personally like residential psychiatric units who utilize horses in therapy but again another costly endeavor. Perhaps karate. You really need to figure out your options for therapy on this kind of a case so insurance is where I would start.

He would need a counselor that he would have some kind of positive relationship with. That would be a big player. I would recommend a counselor that specializes in drug/alcohol abuse. The school might have group therapy he could be a part of.

I'm not sure of your schooling question. Don't quote me but he may be able to get a state supplied tutor. Call the local superintendants office to explore your options.

Best of luck and behalf of society as whole thanks for caring ( :
My cousins excuse "we can't afford it as it costs too much money."

Between my aunt, uncle, and I we care about him but since they can't do anything and nor can I I just feel like crud because of it. Then again I'm only 25 so what the heck do I know.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
oh okay read the tidbit, quite a story.
Yes.
Update: teen had court today and the judge said the following:

72hrs in juvie (went in today comes out on Sunday)
30hrs community service (wish it were more than that)
1yr probation
no ankle monitor

Surely someone, a teacher, principal, coach, etc, has requested an evaluation, either a psychiatric one or for a learning disability? "Juvie" for 72 hours, what good will that do him? Where is he having his probation?
And I agree, you are to be commended for reaching out to your cousin.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes.
Update: teen had court today and the judge said the following:

72hrs in juvie (went in today comes out on Sunday)
30hrs community service (wish it were more than that)
1yr probation
no ankle monitor

Surely someone, a teacher, principal, coach, etc, has requested an evaluation, either a psychiatric one or for a learning disability?
Seeing a counselor once a week but not sure if that will fix it or not as they scheduled it when one of the parents are available and when the kid is in school.

Quote:
"Juvie" for 72 hours, what good will that do him?
To show him this is what can happen if you continue going down this path.

Quote:
Where is he having his probation?
He can't leave the state that he is in as part of his probation. Where is AZ.

Quote:
And I agree, you are to be commended for reaching out to your cousin.
Yeah but the question is how do I reach out to him if they never knew that I existed up until 8 months ago when I first visited them for the first time and now I'm going back a 2nd time in 15 days to not only celebrate my birthday but also my cousin's sons 7th birthday as well and job hunting.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM

107 posts, read 151,424 times
Well, you seem quite wise at 25 and caring. Have you considered taking on a big brother type roll? The age difference alone would make him look up to you. Perhaps he's in need of a friend. Someone perhaps to act as mentor, to guide him. Never underestimate the power of just being there. His peer group is likely not really there for him. It's one thing to be popular, etc but true friends are quite another ball game.

I'm not sure but given the info you provided he might be a gifted child. They can get bored in class and be disruptive. Perhaps you should show him the light at the end of the tunnel. College for instance. Considering his behavior and truancy, he likely would be a good candidate. He needs to clean up his act though.

He likely hates school. Understandeable, maybe a GED when the time comes. Most colleges will look at your ACT and GE, for entrance scores. They show follow through. No more fighting though, huffing (kills brain cells) and his friends; well he may need to quit those cold turkey because if he's as smart as you think he is he likely knows exactly what road their on and which way it will lead.

Don't tell him to quit them. Remember your guiding him not telling him what to do. It's important that he feels he has some control so he needs to see it as his choice.

So, this is me saying if you want to help him and the parents wont now is your chance to be a friend and show him the way to another life. He's young yet, he can still change the path he's on.

Also, who cares if you were gone....your here now. Hope you make the best of it and best of luck!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Well, you seem quite wise at 25 and caring. Have you considered taking on a big brother type roll?
Yes I have considered it and I am also going to ask him to add me as a friend on myspace and facebook as well as have access to his myspace account to only login to remove certain posts that should not be posted.

Quote:
The age difference alone would make him look up to you. Perhaps he's in need of a friend.
I mean I am going to be twice his age the same week his brother turns 7.

Quote:
Someone perhaps to act as mentor, to guide him. Never underestimate the power of just being there.
Yeah but to him I'm more of a stranger than a cousin or family as he sometimes doesn't see how I tie into the family.

Quote:
His peer group is likely not really there for him. It's one thing to be popular, etc but true friends are quite another ball game.
His peer group consists of druggies and potheads. I do agree true friends are quite another thing

Quote:
I'm not sure but given the info you provided he might be a gifted child. They can get bored in class and be disruptive.
Never thought of him being gifted.........

Quote:
Perhaps you should show him the light at the end of the tunnel. College for instance. Considering his behavior and truancy, he likely would be a good candidate. He needs to clean up his act though.
Agreed and hopefully when I do visit him I do plan on taking him to see my father as well as going to the local college and working on my homework while he works on his and perhaps he'll see the same light that I do.

Quote:
He likely hates school. Understandeable, maybe a GED when the time comes. Most colleges will look at your ACT and GE, for entrance scores. They show follow through. No more fighting though, huffing (kills brain cells) and his friends; well he may need to quit those cold turkey because if he's as smart as you think he is he likely knows exactly what road their on and which way it will lead.

Don't tell him to quit them. Remember your guiding him not telling him what to do. It's important that he feels he has some control so he needs to see it as his choice.

So, this is me saying if you want to help him and the parents wont now is your chance to be a friend and show him the way to another life. He's young yet, he can still change the path he's on.

Also, who cares if you were gone....your here now. Hope you make the best of it and best of luck!
Thanks as I know I will need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education