Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 AM

239 posts, read 893,561 times

Advertisements

I was not against the older teacher in her 60s with forty years of experience but some of the other parents were complaining about her. They say because she is so old that she does not relate to the students as well as the younger teachers. It had nothing to do with her personality, the other parents did not know her well, just her age.

I talk to teachers all the time who say it it nearly impossible to get a new job in a school if you are older than 50 years old because the principals and and other school administrators on the hiring committee prefer younger teachers. Is it possible School Principals and Administrators have the same bias against older teachers as some parents? (but not from the City-Data Posters do far)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,776,057 times
My kids have always done better with teachers who have more experience. The best teacher both of them had retired a year after she had them. She was fantastic ; could pick out children with problems ; actually used to look at the upcoming class and search out children she wanted. Then when she got these children, she figured them out in a heartbeat and recommended services or such things.

The worst teacher my son had was a totally inexperienced teacher. She was so flighty and never followed thru on things. She preferred girls over boys and as such the boys always got time outs. One son has a teacher now that is like that and it will be a bumpy year.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,176,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I was not against the older teacher in her 60s with forty years of experience but some of the other parents were complaining about her. They say because she is so old that she does not relate to the students as well as the younger teachers. It had nothing to do with her personality, the other parents did not know her well, just her age.

I talk to teachers all the time who say it it nearly impossible to get a new job in a school if you are older than 50 years old because the principals and and other school administrators on the hiring committee prefer younger teachers. Is it possible School Principals and Administrators have the same bias against older teachers as some parents? (but not from the City-Data Posters do far)
Schools hire younger teachers because they cost less. A 50 year old teacher that has a masters+60 is going to cost 3 to 4 times as much as a teacher right out of college.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,352,351 times
I had old teachers who were great and old ones who sucked. I never really had one fresh out of school.

My son had a teacher in second grade who was older and in a wheelchair. She had MS. He loved her. He has always been a bit rambunctious but she kept him under control.

I'd say it depends on the individual.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 AM

526 posts, read 1,000,467 times
My daughter had teachers in Kindergarten and Second grade that retired right after her class had them. They were the best teachers she's had to date. I think older teachers have tricks and procedures in place to deal with things newer teachers probably haven't even anticipated.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,950,780 times
My son came from fostercare and came to me in 4th grade, I meet with princpal and we selected a teacher with 40ys exp. As the best one to be able to work with/handle the issue my son has. She retired after that year. (She did sub next year in his school, and still does some sub'ing) My Son is in 8th grade now, and she 'mentors' him, she on her own time goes over to the middle school about once a week to check in on him, and see how he's doing. spends some time with him bout 1hr a week. I think her experince help'ed him make the move easyer.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM

280 posts, read 740,098 times
We have had great luck with older teachers too. I would prefer them to the young ones anyday especially for the elementary grades.As someone mentioned earlier they know how to deal with kids at different milestones almost instinctively. My son's Kindergarten teacher was 50+ and by the end the second quarter kids who didnt know english alphabets were reading and kids who knew how to read were on chapter books. IMO with all the experience they have they can judge and help each child according to their ability.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,329,539 times
No,wether old or young a teacher is a teacher .

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,180,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

If parents believe that students cannot relate to a 40 year old teacher, then how do the parents relate to their own children?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,366,720 times
Like any profession, it really depends on the individual. My daughter's 3rd grade teacher had 30 years in when my daughter was in her class. She was AMAZING! She is retiring this year, after 32 years. She will be missed! The kindergarten teacher my son had for one week was horrible. She has been a teacher for more then 40 years. She yells, says mean things to the kids, and can barely move. Why she is teaching I don't know. Two days into class I put in a transfer request for my son to be moved. He was put into a class with a brand new teacher. She was great, we loved her! She moved on to middle school, so hopefully my kids will have her class in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education