Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM

15 posts, read 17,606 times

Advertisements

For several years now, I have had severe doubts about my intelligence. I've even went to a psychologist about my concerns, who claimed I was "very intelligent" and said I could possibly score 135 upwards on an IQ test. I even planned to take one, but flaked out because I was afraid I would score lower than ideal.

The psych also said if I did score low it would determine how well I was functioning with my anxiety. That aside, I'm not sure how well I would stack up to the competition, or if I would simply find out I am inadequate.

I guess what I am leading to is...can severe anxiety drastically impair IQ scores? And will a psych take this into account and re-evaluate your score? I've heard it is possible for IQ levels to change, but I'm not sure if that is an accurate assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:25 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Anxiety might impair someone's performance on an IQ test because it makes some people freeze up when answering the questions. However, it won't affect someone's actual IQ. That's one of the reasons tests aren't always accurate.
On the other hand, maybe you should ask yourself why it is so important to you? Unless you are applying for to join Mensa, IQ isn't doesn't guarantee success. Ambition and work ethic have just as much (maybe more?) influence. Perhaps you should continue to see the psychologist to address your anxiety issues.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Anxiety might impair someone's performance on an IQ test because it makes some people freeze up when answering the questions. However, it won't affect someone's actual IQ. That's one of the reasons tests aren't always accurate.
On the other hand, maybe you should ask yourself why it is so important to you? Unless you are applying for to join Mensa, IQ isn't doesn't guarantee success. Ambition and work ethic have just as much (maybe more?) influence. Perhaps you should continue to see the psychologist to address your anxiety issues.
Yes, I meant to ask how much anxiety could impair someone's IQ "performance." I've heard it also impairs cognition, as well. Is there anything else that temporarily decreases IQ performance?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThalesLocke View Post
For several years now, I have had severe doubts about my intelligence. I've even went to a psychologist about my concerns, who claimed I was "very intelligent" and said I could possibly score 135 upwards on an IQ test. I even planned to take one, but flaked out because I was afraid I would score lower than ideal.

The psych also said if I did score low it would determine how well I was functioning with my anxiety. That aside, I'm not sure how well I would stack up to the competition, or if I would simply find out I am inadequate.

I guess what I am leading to is...can severe anxiety drastically impair IQ scores? And will a psych take this into account and re-evaluate your score? I've heard it is possible for IQ levels to change, but I'm not sure if that is an accurate assertion.
This is why I had my dd's test scores sealed. (she was tested without my consent) You can't win here. If you score higher than you expected, then you're not living up to your ability. If you score lower, you'll feel limited. Just be you. Forget the number. Do what feels right and don't worry if there is a test score to support that you can/cannot do what you are doing.

I refuse to see my dd's scores and I refuse to have one more administrator see them because they are stamping a label on her forehead that she doesn't need. She is who she is and she will do what she does and she doesn't need to feel that she's not living up to her ability or that something is over her head.

The truth is, in every occupation and education level there is a range of IQ's. IQ is not the entire picture. I'm pretty sure I've gone way past the predictions based on mine .

Just be yourself and don't worry about taking a test. Nothing good can come of it. It's like weighing yourself after going to a party when you're dieting. If you gained weight, you feel defeated. If you lost weight you think "Hey, I can get away with eating more". Either way, you shoot yourself in the foot. If you're only getting this test to know then don't do it. Leave yourself free to be yourself.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Anxiety can impact performance in lots of areas, as can things like hunger, tiredness, anger, etc. I agree with the above post that an IQ test carries a bloated and undeserved reputation as a measure of a person or of his/her intelligence.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Anxiety can impact performance in lots of areas, as can things like hunger, tiredness, anger, etc. I agree with the above post that an IQ test carries a bloated and undeserved reputation as a measure of a person or of his/her intelligence.
True, as there is a measur of cultural bias to the tests.

Another thing my psych informed me of was that "vocabulary is an indicator of general intelligence," I've never fully understood that correlation. He said that I possessed a large vocab, which is partially why he said I was intelligent, but it didn't raise my confidence at all.

To address your other points, I feel generally lethargic, and am usually in a bad emotional state.

Quote:
This is why I had my dd's test scores sealed. (she was tested without my consent) You can't win here. If you score higher than you expected, then you're not living up to your ability. If you score lower, you'll feel limited. Just be you. Forget the number. Do what feels right and don't worry if there is a test score to support that you can/cannot do what you are doing.

Quote:
I refuse to see my dd's scores and I refuse to have one more administrator see them because they are stamping a label on her forehead that she doesn't need. She is who she is and she will do what she does and she doesn't need to feel that she's not living up to her ability or that something is over her head.

The truth is, in every occupation and education level there is a range of IQ's. IQ is not the entire picture. I'm pretty sure I've gone way past the predictions based on mine .

Just be yourself and don't worry about taking a test. Nothing good can come of it. It's like weighing yourself after going to a party when you're dieting. If you gained weight, you feel defeated. If you lost weight you think "Hey, I can get away with eating more". Either way, you shoot yourself in the foot. If you're only getting this test to know then don't do it. Leave yourself free to be yourself.
I see your points, but...eventually I have to know, I've never been one to turn a blind eye to my faults.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:

To address your other points, I feel generally lethargic, and am usually in a bad emotional state.

Sounds more like you suffer from low self esteem and depression. Depression will make you feel lethargic. Another reason is low Vitamin D. Many intelligent individuals suffer from depression.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Right, as do many non-intelligent individuals. Also, antidepressants can cause someone to become sagaciously challenged.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Right, as do many non-intelligent individuals. Also, antidepressants can cause someone to become sagaciously challenged.
Someone with a low self esteem is not going to think highly of themselves. This in turn can cause depression. Depression can be dealt with in many ways without drugs. Are you applying for college or a job which is making you concerned about your intelligence level?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 AM

I'm attending college right now, but only part-time (actually, only one class and it is an intro course).

As I said, my concerns over my "intelligence" have been bothering me for several years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education